1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If we went back to 3 hole targets would you quit?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by releasebob, Nov 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. releasebob

releasebob Member

If the ATA moved back to 3 hole targets would you quit and if so why?I shot 3 hole targets way back when and I will say that when we went to 2 hole targets my singles scores immediately went up(B class to A class) and I moved back on the concrete 2 yds the first year(24.5 to 26.5) and stayed there awhile and as I have gotten older have worked my way back to the 24 and have been there quite a while and my singles scores have stayed right on the high end of A class for many years.If they went back to 3 hole targets my scores would go down some and I would move ahead on the concrete but so would everyone else so I guess I don't see the big deal is and 3 hole targets get harder as you go back if you don't think so you've never tried it,I never made the 27 and in my ripe old age (76) am never going to so pouring more concrete isn't going to affect me so I really don't care one way or the other so kindly save that argument for that to another thread.BOB

2. 3357

3357 Member

No, I still shoot 3 hole targets at my home club.

3. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

No. Started shooting with 3 hole targets.

4. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Bring on the 3 hole.

6. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

Why quit? The fun is trying to break the target and hearing the gun go boom, all that would stay the same.....................count me in for the duration.

d

7. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I started out with 3 hole targets and I shoot for fun, so yes, I'd still shoot them.......Or try! lol

Hauxfan!

8. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I started shooting 3 Hole targets in 1961 and I actually prefer them but I seriously doubt we will ever have them again for ATA in my lifetime. We do shoot them at our small local club shoots but they are not registered.

9. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

As a relatively new shooter, the 3 hole targets would be even more attractive. The harder, the better.

Rich

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Bring on 3 hole targets

GB
    DLS

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Bring 'em on!

12. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Considering what "3-hole" targets used to be thrown from, maybe it wouldn't be that big of a deal. Guess it'd depend on my scores.

13. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I started about the same time as "miketmx", all #3 hole at that time can't say my scores changed much with #2 holers so don't guess it would make any difference to me now. Also don't shoot many registered anymore (now age 70 with back trouble) may be hot 1 day then couldn't hit the traphouse itself for the next 3 months. So no I would not quit. Ross Puls

14. PNT

PNT Member

as Shooting Coach says... "Bring them on"

15. PETER PERFECT

PETER PERFECT TS Member

3 hole 30 yds bring them on. Iam 75 amost 76 27yds. I dont make my living trapshooting!!! I dont think this sport was for anyone to do that!!!!!!

16. bigben

bigben Active Member

OK, if you are an ATA shooter and you value your averages, the 3 hole is NOT for you, if you don't care about your scores and can take the decrease in averages the 3 hole more intensive targets will be more to your liking! I 1995 the ATA relented to the cry of make the "big boys" targets tougher, well they did, the A shooters went to B the B shooters went to C the C shooters went to D the D shooters went into the tank, as in septic! Attendance went down, purses went down and the ATA had a disaster! If you are sincere, and averages mean nothing, bring it on! incinerate em!

17. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

no
    Surfer

18. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I don't understand all the noise about 3hole targets..all it means is that the machine can on occasion throw a little more extreme angle than now right? So how many hard rights and lefts do you usually get in a 100 birds? Yeh I know it varies so if you're lucky you might not even see a three hole target with the machine set on three hole or your buddy might get 6 of them...that sounds great to me.

Personalty I think the whole idea of making the sport harder on the majority to fix the biggest problem which is with the 27yd guys that need more handicap is nuts. To think making the sport harder will bring in more shooters is nuts. For the vast majority of us the sport is plenty difficult and I could give a can o Spam less if the Europeans look down at us from their trench traps. But I could be wrong and I'm sure I'm nuts but I'm a happy nut. An no I wouldn't quit but I'll bet the majority of at least the small clubs wouldn't throw them anyway.

19. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

I care about my average but I also want to be competitive, I'll shoot what they throw,if that be three hole targets then as long as we all shot em count me in.

And while we are at it set the Dang targets to the rule and shoot'em no changeing the dang things every squad, I shoot'em where there set I hate the folks that change every trap to suit them, if the weather didn't change they were leagle when the target setters did thier job SHOOT THE TARGETS.

Jeff

20. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

No, I wouldn't quit shooting at all. 44 degree angles from a Pat trap will throw less tough angles than did the old Winchester handsets! Pat's don't stay at the extremes like the old traps did.

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2 hole or 3 hole spacer bar pat trap