1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If this were you? Rare S&W 44 Mag Pre 29

Discussion in 'For Sale- Members only' started by Sky Buster, Mar 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

Tom:

Your a $1,000 to high.

2. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Don,t listen to him your a $1,000 to low .

3. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

0   0   0

Tom, do you have a factory letter from S&W on this gun? Are there any markings on the frame, under the grips? Do you have the original grips for the gun?

Thank you , Rodbuster.

4. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

0   0   0

Is the front sight original?

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Back in the day, I was an amateur S&W collector and I believe the four-inch guns came with the ramp front sight while six-inch guns usually came with a Patridge (sp?) front sight (rear edge of the blade was vertical). While several front sights could be ordered, I don't think I ever saw a Patridge on a four-inch gun but I had several regular production six-inch N-frames with ramp front sights. The only S&Ws I now have are both K-frames; the six-inch has a Patridge and the four-inch has a ramp. Red ramp fronts almost always came with a white-outline rear sight (I know you said yours was painted red; just thought I'd throw that in).

For what it's worth, and that may not be much.

Ed

6. oz

oz Active Member

0   0   0

4 screw??? where is the 4th screw???? I see a 3 screw gun. oz

7. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

0   0   0

One screw is hidden under the right side grip panel. These early, pre model marked S&W's are great guns. The saying "They don't make them like they used to" definitely applies here! Good luck in your information quest Tom.

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0

Supposed to be 5 screws are they not.

9. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

0   0   0

PM me if you would like information on this gun. What I have is information from Supica's book on the S&W. This book is pretty much considered the reference standard for S&W. I can give you the info over the phone or copy & send.

10. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0

ALF-99

Are you telling us the gun is worth $3,000.00? What are you smokin'?
    He will be hard pressed to get $1,200.00

11. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

sky buster What I,m saying is this . You just as well ask for $3,000 as $2,000 because both is to high . Got it ?

12. sdduck

sdduck TS Member

0   0   0

That is a 4 screw s&w made 57 to 63 I think. Definately a better gun than the later ones. I believe more than 400 made though. Was the 400 figure for the 5 screw?

13. sx1skeet

sx1skeet TS Member

0   0   0

I think from looking he means that year.

14. EE

EE Banned User Banned

0   0   0

So how do we go from a "rare" gun in excellent condition supposedly worth $2000, to a "shooter" that has been refinished and possibly had the barrel cut?????

This one reason why any time you see the word "rare" in an ad for a gun, you can pretty much be assured that it is NOT. People either don't know what they have (as I believe is case here), or worse, are outright dishonest in their description. There ought to be a law....

EE

15. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I'm far from certain but I don't think the barrel was shortened. I only have two S&Ws any more - one 4" and one 6" - but both have the "SMITH & WESSON" and caliber rollmarkings centered lengthwise on the sides of the barrel, as this gun's are. If I'm right and the barrel was shortened, the markings would be at the muzzle end or, if it was an 8-3/8" gun, partially gone.

Ed

16. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

0   0   0

Not trying to rain on anybodies parade or fudge a sale. Several years ago I sent in a 6' to be rebarreled. All they do is knock out the barrel pin, unscrew the old barrel, screw the new one on and set the cylinder/barrel gap with a gauge. Roll markings were centered for the new 4" barrel. Due to the markings I would say that it was a blued gun sent to the factory to be nickled, and or rebarreled. It is a 4 screw which might have been a premium in original unaltered condition with box, papers etc.
    Pretty gun, in nice condition. But a shooter. Rick Gibbs

17. AveragEd

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

Rick, you're right. Rebarreling would probably be about the same cost as the labor involved in shortening it. I'm having a rifle built right now and the choices were rechambering or rebarreling; the cost difference wasn't very much, so I went with a new barrel.

Ed

18. oz

oz Active Member

0   0   0

The 4th screw is at the top of the removable side plate. This gun does not have this screw. It is an S model which is pre N frame. The screw in front of the crane is irrelivent as is the tensioning screw inside the grip and the screw that holds the wood grips on. It's a $500 gun. oz

19. EE

EE Banned User Banned

0   0   0

Tom, this is the kind of research you should have done *BEFORE* you posted that it was a "rare" gun, and that it was in "excellent condition", and that "this gun belongs in a museum."

The only reason you found all this stuff out is because you were challenged on the value. No seller should *ever* make the claims you initially made unless he has the data to back it up. If an eager, but unsuspecting, buyer had sent you a check for the first amount you asked for, he would have been screwed.

And this gun wouldn't even be rare if it was unmodified.

EE

20. tom-n8ies

tom-n8ies Member

0   0   0

Sold to EE for $2000.

And I am not giving your money back!

Now Drop it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.