1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If the Grand were here....

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by David J Comroe, Aug 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David J Comroe

David J Comroe Active Member

....you'd be there by now.

[​IMG]

(Note that this is not a statement about where I think the Grand should be, just some nostalgia as I was driving to Sparta so I thought I'd take the photo opportunity).

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I did notice you said "as i was driving to Sparta". Glad you came.--Matt

3. shutnlar

shutnlar TS Member

Just for giggles- If the Grand were here- you would STILL need a half hour to find a place to park (assuming you could get across the oncoming traffic!!) in a field all the while dodging motorhomes, tents, and assorted foot traffic. LOL Glad you went to Sparta!

Larry

4. hoov

hoov Member

SHUTNLAR; One reason you had trouble finding a place to park was because there were shooters there.Lots of shooters.{hoov}

5. RLC323

RLC323 Member

....my heart would start beating a bit faster. I usually arrived at Vandalia on prelim Sunday around noon and parked all the way down on the west end. The wagon ride up to the CEB was something I always enjoyed. The feeling being back at the home of trapshooting, that feeling of having nothing to do for the next six days but to shoot trap. Fantastic.

Not bashing Sparta, I have been to all 5 of those. But I have noticed when I speak of past days at Vandalia I call it the Grand, and when I speak of our days at Sparta, I call it Sparta.

6. DONNE

DONNE Member

Very well put RLC323 ! I feel the same way, and have been to "Sparta" every year too.

We had to get fuel at Englewood on the way home from Sparta. I recognized the "dam" , so I said what the he!!. Sad (disgusting) as to what is left of the grounds. Noticed some changes in the area too. Can't go back though .....

7. Donm

Donm Active Member

Yes and you could park in the mud even thought it is 98 degree's. Then take a slow tram to the other end from where you parked. Now it has been another 20 minutes. Oh wait your shooting glasses are in the car. Oh Oh another 20 minutes to the car and another 20 back. Oh well you missed your squad. So now you pay the $25 resquad fee instead of the $3 fee that Ill. charges for putting up the $50 Million for the grounds that you don't have to keep up and where you can park on pavement instead of mud. Oh and who was it that told us to leave. Oh yea it was a airport in a city in what state. Oh yes OHIO.

Until Illinois kicks us out the only place that should be ragged on is Ohio. If it weren't for them we would still be at that old ragged run down place you seem to be in love with.

And yes I went to Vandailia 10 or 11 times some don't say I don't know what I am talking about. I spent many a day there when it was humid and in the 90's. I also had to have my car towed out of the mud one year. I left there the next day due to non existant parking due to the mud.

Yes it was nice but the back ground sucked and the planes were a distraction so it wasn't exactly heaven as some of you think it was.

So like so many before me have said get over it.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Ron, I call our current location for the Grand, Sparta. The EVENT not the location, no matter where it is it deserves it's given name........The Grand. How you doin'?

9. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Hey Barry, doing good here, hope you are fine as well. I was at Sparta for 9 of the 12 days and never ran into you, but that happens at a facility so big.

I expect it will just take a few years for Sparta to grow on us "old" guys. I went to Vandalia for the first time with Dad and Grandpa in '71. I recall my son shooting there for the first time in '94. The memories are what make a place "Grand" and it may take a Grandson shooting at Sparta to make that place Grand for me.

Donm, Sparta is a great facility, three hours closer for me, easy to get a camping spot, and a good place to shoot. But I have no intention of ever getting over Vandalia.

10. cwbanker

cwbanker Member

I would suggest the Illinois DNR request stimulus dollars from Washington to install an air conditioned Tram that would connect the Events Center, the East & West traplines, the RV park area and the local fishing lakes. That way everyone would be happy. Just think of the jobs this would generate.

This was my first trip to Sparta and my first trip to the Grand in 40 years. I was not disappointed at all and I intend to go back annually.

11. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

What a hassle. Damn horseless carriages everywhere...........Good thing I sold my stock in the buggy whip company.

HM

12. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Memory lane.....

FRedmon

13. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Look at that grass!!!

[​IMG]

14. Donm

Donm Active Member

RCL. There are people that are trained to help you and others like you that are stuck in the past..

15. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Pheasantmaster says, "But they can't help you if you don't want to get over it..."

BigM-Perazzi, that's a beautiful pic of the grandstand in Vandalia. Thanks for posting it. I never got to experience it.

16. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The Grand needs 2 things to really improve the excellent facitity.. First.. a few covered rest area.. or staging area..out of the sun..(a water chilled fan breeze wouldn't hurt either)... and a up to date electronic data board for squadding and shoot times.. Also.. a trolley that runs the length of the parking lot would help the wendors..

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Donm-- I read you had a miserable time at the old Grand. I would not have ever went back to something that terrible. I'm sure you misstook airplanes for targets. Those 98 degree temps everyday must have been miserable. I am blessed to of had a great 46 years of enjoyment there. I was always taught to cope with some adversity. I have only missed 1 year at the Sparta Grand and I think it is an excellent facility. About all they need are some sun shelters and if possible,an earlier or later date that might be a little cooler. I can live with the drives to the motels. For the most part I have truly enjoyed my experience there. Clyde Doll

18. phirel

phirel TS Member

Shoot at Sparta and enjoy the Grand. Keep Vandalia in a special place for fond memories.

Pat Ireland

19. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Thats sound advice Pat. Clyde

20. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Gosh I thought you were talking about the Vandalia exit off I-70, I believe nos. 61 0r 63 about half way across IL.

What's up with that - two towns named Vandalia off of I-70 but in separate states. Both involved in trapshooting (states that is). I think they did it just for us trapshooters traveling west on I-70 in IL, gives us a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Don

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.