1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If only it was a trap gun!

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Old Ranger, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

I can't believe I'm writing about a skeet gun! I've got a Belgium Browning Superposed skeet gun, 26" barrels SK & SK, made in the 70's. It's got a set of original matching tubes, 20, 28, and 410 gauge in the original case with all matching serial numbers to the gun. Even have the original cardboard box that the gun came in.

I'd grade the bluing at 95%+ and the stock, very nicely grained by the way, about the same. I picked it up in a trade a few years ago and have only had it to the club twice.

Anybody have an idea what it's worth?

Ranger

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

I would tend to say that would be in the $3800 to $4200 ballpark give or take a little bit in the right field bleachers on the lower deck.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Are you saying "tubes" when you mean "barrels?" It they're matching Browning barrels, it could be worth $ 4,000. If they're Simmons barrels, maybe $ 3,000,
    Purbaugh tubes, DB Bill is about right.

4. lumper

lumper TS Member

If memory serves me correctly I think barrel sets were serialized with the receiver and I'm not sure if Browning ever offered a Briley/Kolar type tube set.

Days of old I think some/most referred to shotgun barrels as "tubes".

5. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

dickgtax:
    No, I mean tubes, which insert full-length into the O/U 12 gauge barrels. And the tubes are Browning, as I wrote, with serial numbers matching the gun.

6. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dang ... I will admit I aint no Browning expert but I was not aware they ever made tubes.

When you finally determine a value on this it would be interesting to know what it actually is and ... post some pics if ya gots em.

7. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

lumper:
    I'll do that.

I've had this skeet gun for a while, and although it fits me very well, I don't shoot much skeet and could use its spot in the gun cabinet for something more useful, like a new left-handed trap gun.

Folks at the club have been "guessing" at around $2500 for it, and if that's all it's worth, I might not sell it. But if you are correct, then its close to an even trade for a LH Ljutic Mono or ilk. If DB is right, then it will probably stay where it is in case I ever lose my mind and become a skeet shooter.

Don't know what to do.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Thisis not engraved in stone, but the Browning marked tubes should be either Purbaugh or Skeetmaster. They most likely have separate ejectors which have to be inserted when you put the tubes in.

They would also be made from the same material from front to back rather than separate chambers like today's tubes.

HM

9. lumper

lumper TS Member

Just as a thought ... if you have Borders or a large major chain book store in the area stop on by and check out books in the sporting goods section ... they almost always have one of the "gun value" books on the shelf ... and see if your gun is listed.

Now you have my interest peeked and I know where I am going to stop on the way home ... if my memory is somewhat working I think I have seen books specificly on Brownings on the shelf as well ... dang I might even give up cleaning my gun at the office today and leave early to check out the book store.

10. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Ranger, I just sent you an email which might help. Best Regards, Ed

11. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

Ok, let me try to post a few pictures of the Browning. Bear with me, it's my first time posting:

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

As you can see, the serial numbers on the tubes do match that on the gun. The tubes ARE 16" and not "full length" as I said yesterday. All in all, I think it's a pretty nice little gun.

Ranger

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

Dang that just sucks ... its worth a bunch more than that ... just look at the one picture that shows the "original" can of oil, now thats got to be worth more.

13. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

OK, now I've just been to the Browning site and I'm having a hard time figuring out their serial number dating system. I thought that this was a 1973 gun, given the "S3" and "S73" on the gun and tubes, but that doesn't correspond with the numbers on their site. The original box that the gun came in has a 1976 date on it. ????

14. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ranger ... call Browning, they should be and might be able to tell you allot about that particular gun, might even be able to tell you the original MSRP on that along with possibly an approximate give or take maybe current value.

15. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

I think DB BILL hit it right, $1500 as a shooter. Maybe $2000 to a collector. Jeff

16. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

According to the book I have S3 indicates 1963 manufacture but the forend in the photos looks like one they put on later models manufactured 1970-71 era. The Blue Book says the Super Tubes were available in 1965. Could it have been sent back to Browning for a new forend and had Super Tubes added at that time?

17. SShooterZ

SShooterZ Member

Looking at the pics, and it might be the quality of the pics, but it looks like that gun is not a 95% gun. Maybe closer to 90% as it looks like some bluing wear and wood wear. The release lever also looks to be at 6 o'clock, showing some useage over the years.

18. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Maybe a 1963 gun sent back to B for an up-grade on current wood with the addition of numbered tubes? Possibly why the tubes are numbered s-73? Good looking shotgun regardless! Hap

19. Old Ranger

Old Ranger Member

Superposed71:

Thanks for all the good information, you obviously know your Brownings. The trigger is mechanical. The rib posts I'd swear are square but I'll look tonight to make sure. And if I can, I'll take a digital of the serial number under the lever, I was one hand short of the 3 I needed to do that last night.

A Browning collector might want to have it refurbished at Art's, but for me since I'm not a collector I see only 2 roads to take. One, I'd trade it or its cash sale value for a nice left-handed trap gun, or two, if its only worth $1500 to $2000, I'll keep it for the occasional times I go skeet shooting. It has a neutral cast and fits me very well. Wished I could say the same for my trap guns.

20. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

My guess is the last three of the serial No. are S73 as on the tube sets. I also noticed no round knob on the stock, indicating this could be a later model.

My guess is 1973??!!

Danny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.