1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If one is not consistently breaking a 100 Straight

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Jan 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

If one is not consistently breaking a 100 Straight from the 27 yard line with their 12 gauge...

Should they go hunting with a subgauge shotgun ?

Since the subgauges (20, 28, 410) require more skill, should one master the 12 gauge before risking a wounded and escaping bird with a lesser gauge ?

I have not shot my first 100 Straight at any distance yet.

But I have been tempted to carry a lesser gauge to the bird fields. But I continue to resist temptation.

2. buckshot57

buckshot57 TS Member

Not too many guys I shoot with consistently break 100 straight from 27 yards. I would do whatever oils your chain!

3. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

If you wait until you're consistently breaking 100 straight from 27 yards to make that decision you may be waiting a long time. I'd say wait until you're consistently dropping birds with a 12 then drop to a 20 if you need more challenge.

4. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

This is like comparing apples & oranges.
    I have never broken 100 straight from 27 yards, but I have killed hundreds of ducks, geese, pheasants etc. with sub gauges.

Pass up marginal shots,know your capabilities & you will kill game with small guage guns.

5. seitz647

seitz647 Member

Heres a good rule of thumb - if you can break 20 with it on the skeet feild shooting low gun, you should be fine - JAM

6. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I used to quail hunt with a very quick shot who won several big shoots. He hunted with a field grade 870 Wingmaster in .410 bore. He usually shot the 2 1/2" 1/2 oz of 9's skeet load.

Often, he would take three birds on the rise and only shoot the cock birds. His reason was that he liked to eat quail and that anything larger ruined the birds.

I always carried a 12 gauge Wingmaster because I need it. I would pick out a single bird and take it.

I guess that it depends on your eyes and timing.

Ed Ward

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

OK Ed you started this..I had a friend that shot 3 birds on the rise with a sling shot.
    He only shot hens less that 6 months old--very tender....SMOKIT

8. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

OK Ed you started this..I had a friend that shot 3 birds on the rise with a sling shot.
    He only shot hens less that 6 months old--very tender....SMOKIT

9. pdq

pdq Member

I've broken 300 straight (some on the ground) from the 27 and I go after wild birds with a 10 guage and Hevi-Shot.

Pete

10. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Would it make sense then, Hammer1, if you are not breaking 100 straight with a 12 gauge, you should go to a 10 gauge until you are breaking 100 straight with it? Then you could go to a 12 gauge? And why are you leaving the 16 gauge out of the equation?

11. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

I think everybody above is on the wrong track,if you can't run 100st. consistently from 27 or further back you should not take any chances on crippling any animal or bird, you should give up hunting & target shooting altogether & send me all your guns-- supplies--reloaders--4wd--etc. & I will send you a pheasant or duck or rabbit or whatever I can get, maybe a chicken that was sitting nice and still on it's roost. (chuckle-chuckle) Ross

12. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Hammer1, Stay out of the Bourbon!

SpeedyWho, LOL

13. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

SMOKIT

The only person I ever heard of that was that good with a slingshot went by the name of David and he needed a target at least nine feet tall.

I am not joking about my friend Bob shooting three on the rise with a .410 870.

He was quick as a snake when he was young and took a lot of money from a lot of turkey shooters.

Ed Ward

14. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

Well if you must know...If you are not breaking 100 straight from the 27 yard line then you should not be hunting at all until you can break 100 straight from the 27 yard line several times a week. This is very important because anything less than 100 straight from the 27 yard line would likely be the difference in a clean humane kill versus a unethical wounding of the animal. So practice practice practice until you are drilling those hundred straights several times a week both day and night and you will be ready to hunt. At that time you may choose to use a different guage. I hope this helps to clarify things for you.

15. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You must be a Troll.... No one shoots 100 straights consistently from the 27. Not even Leo.

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

It means you're human..from a polluted gene pool...but human none the less

17. k3uro

k3uro Member

Heck,

Billy got a limit of birds with a Sling Shot, left handed. He is right handed, but he messes them up to bad throwing with his right hand.

:eek:)

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.