1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If LOP is 1/2 too longwhat happens?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by striper, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. striper

striper Member

I had a question about one of my stocks and I met with a gentleman that is one of the best shooters I have run into and also a great stock refinisher. I wanted to make an alteration on one of my guns. He asked me to mount the guns that I had with me. Two out of the three guns were 1/2 too long. Had way over one inch between my nose and thumb.I had adjustable butt plate added to all three. The plates were added with out cutting the butt stock. So I did a test that he suggested. I took the plates off the butt and put the rubber butt pad directly to the stock,reduceing the 1/2 length. I also took the other gun to shoot,1/2 long still there to compare. I did not adjust the pad so both guns were not altered.Well first I shot 5 rounds in the shorter gun and 5 rds with the longer gun. Hard to describe the difference. Shooting the longer LOP made it seem like I was shooting a rifle with a scope. I have karpel tunnel so I could only shoot 50 rds. My question after all this is how does the LOP effect your shooting. If too short what is the result? Same if LOP is too long. Hope I made this clear:)

2. racer

racer TS Member

For what it's worth.... length of pull would rank about number 4 on my list of things to set for gun fitting. Comb set so you're eyes are lined up with beads, comb height for POI, correct pitch for face slap, then lop. If you are within an inch of the front, you probably won't gain or lose anything by getting a half inch closer. Good luck and have fun, Dan

3. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Shorter stock, gun shoots higher. Longer stock, guns shoots flatter. Roy

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

LOP can most definitely have an affect on the "shootability" of a particular gun for you. In general, if the LOP is too long (1/2 inch or more), the gun will tend to swing slower for you, and the "point" may also be affected. If the stock is too short, you will tend to swing a bit faster, perhaps "overswinging" on some shots. As long the LOP disparity is not too great, you can sometimes counteract these tendencies by moving your grip back on the forearm for too long a gun, and moving the grip forward for too short a gun. One rule of thumb sometimes used, is when you hold/grip the gun naturally, your face should be about 1/2 in to 1 inch from your thumb. If it does not naturally fall, there, LOP may be a problem. Also note about too long an LOP, note how a youngster or lady shooter handles a normal LOP shotgun. In general, they wind up leaning backward to support the gun. To a lesser degree this can affect any shooter with too long an LOP, subsconciously altering their stance to compensate. Unless the shotguns were too short for you as they were, adding an adjustable buttplate without cutting the stock would definitely make the stock "too long" for your normal shooting use. The "proper" LOP of course, differs for each person.

Jim R

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

eventually you will start stock crawling

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Roy, you stated "Shorter stock, gun shoots higher. Longer stock, guns shoots flatter". Could you explain why ?

Pat Ireland

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

too long will also cause you to place the pad on the shoulder joint rather than on the collarbone "pocket"..

8. Conn. Man

Conn. Man Member

Good post's guy's,keepimm comming,you have my full attention!!!!.

Sandy.

9. chipking

chipking TS Member

One thing that is often overlooked with a too long stock is the fatigue factor. When you are well rested and fresh you can compensate for the extra length but what about 180 birds into a 200 bird shoot. If you are right handed the left traveling birds will start to be chipped or missed.

--- Chip King ---

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

I agree with the above with the exception of the length of a stock affecting how high a gun shoots (without a qualification). A stock too short on a field gun (with a rising comb) "can" (not "will") cause the cheek to be placed on a higher part of the comb and can cause the gun to shoot higher.

I found "racer"/Dan's and jimrich60's posts especially insightful.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.