1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If "I was King"

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by grnberetcj, Mar 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Ok boys and girls...spring is just around the corner, good shooting weather shall grace us all and we can bid a fond adieu to cabin fever and snow blindness...so, bearing that in mind, I thought I'd add some fodder to the mix and get us all talking about competitive trapshooting again, especially in light of the recent scores, ties and handicap punches at the Southern Grand.

Here goes....If I was King, I would mandate the following:

60 yard targets travelling 60 mph.

Widen the trap angles to the max.

All shoot-off's from the 27 yd. line, stations 1 & 5 only, switch after 5 shots. Doubles from the 25 yd. line. Miss & out format.

Shooters deriving income from ATA shooting shall be placed in a "Pro Class"

Entry for the "Grand American" shall be determined by a shooter(s) wins at their state & zone shoots.

Large ATA shoots (Zones, etc) to have "Compulsory Class/Yardage Money" for the Championship Events (not prelim's), each class/yardage group shooting for it's own money.

All new shooters and shooters below the 24 yd. line will be placed on the 24 yd. line until their scores dictate a reduction (1500 target reviews)

Let's put the "Competition back in Competition"

Curt and only If I was King

2. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

If

Sounds like a plan to me. BTW would you also bring back the $10/100 fees?

Eric

3. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

If

It looks like you'd have one heck of a small Grand American.

Oh, and I'm glad you aren't king. You're not my kind of king......

Compulsory purses indeed............Hauxfan!

4. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

If

I could use a new truck!!

tony

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

If

If you were King you would soon be dead.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

If

The movie "The Man Who Would Be King" with Sean Connery and Micheal Cain is an unknown, but fantastic movie. A little OT sorry. Wayne

7. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

If

The movie "The Man Who Would Be King" is a truly great movie. It is based on a short story by Rudyard Kipling. Christopher Plummer also stars as a reporter named Kipling.

It would be great to be the king.

Hump or death?

Ed Ward

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If

Compulsory money would certainly get rid of the sissies, n'er-do-goods, cheapskates, etc.

Also, the ever present losers may sign up and shoot the Grand American....but only those that have a proven winning record can win.....but then again, it's like any other shoot where 98% go home empty handed after spending alot of money!

If people want easy targets and high scores...go shoot skeet!

Curt

9. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

If

No dog in the fight, but here in New Zealand, in all association championships there is a small compulsory sweep (typically $2) paid out in grades, a smaller compulsory sweep (typically $1) paid to the HOA, and an optional open sweep (typically $5). This means that all shooters have the option to shoot for only the money in their own grade (not counting the nominal donation to the HOA), or enter the optional sweep (where the bigger money is) with the full knowledge that they are taking on the Big boys. Cheers-Graham.

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

If

Remember Ronald Coleman? He said, "If I were king...." It is the subjunctive "were" not "was". Just one of the niceties of the Engklish language. Sorry, Just one of my pet peeves.

11. atashooter

atashooter Member

If

I saw the title of this thread and all I could think of is Bert Lahr in that Lion costume singing " If I were King of the Forest"

12. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

If

Why do the word "coups d'état" have a happy sound.....Grubby

13. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

If

You would get my vote.

We had a small program about 30yrs ago that was similar, but was shot from the 22 yd line. It brought the good and bad shooters a little closer. The good shooters bitched constantly but showed up every week. The bad or not so good shooters found it challenging and showed up every week as well.

Regards....Gerald

14. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

If

A verse in a Seals & Croft song reads, "I am the King, I am the King of nothing". Personally, if I were King, I would mandate a statistical program to utilize 16 yard averages in determining handicap averages (I know there's a "known ability" rule but who enforces it?). I've seen it too many times where you have, say a 96% average shooter on singles targets and the guy is on 22 yard line on handicap. See the guy at small shoots and he's shooting scores in the high 80's at handicap and when he shoots at a large shoot then he plays all the money and presto, he shoots in the high nineties. Too many sandbaggers are out there waiting to score against the best shooters and don't see that they're cheating everyone. That's just adding my too sense. BT-100dc

15. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If

Maybe a "Handicap System" similiar to golf and bowling......

Curt

16. canada

canada Member

If

Curt,

All you seem to do in almost every thread you respond to is complain about how easy ATA is. Go shoot international. Your suggestions are asinine.

Pat

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.