1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If I was building my perfect Reloading Room?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Didreckson, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

OK, I am just a few weeks from starting on a building project that will allow me to build a reloading room of my dreams. It will be on the backside of a 3 car garage, which I will share via a wall (basically creating 2 rooms) with my pups. Both sides will have central heat/air from the main house. I will take about 2 cars wide, pups get 1. Not sure on depth,but probably 12-14 feet anyway. Since I suspect this will be my first/last/only chance at doing this, looking for ideas.

What have some of you done in the past when you had this opportunity? What would you add or do differently?

I have been using an Edsal HD workbench (basically like Spolar's with the flared legs?) except mine is 30x72x1-3/4" and I had to drill my own drop hole etc. It has been very serviceable, but I will probably build something sturdier along one side.

Thanks in advance. If you have any large pictures, use email above with the obvious changes.

2. GrubbyJack

GrubbyJack Member

Lights, lights and more lights, the older you get - the more you need..
    Grubby

3. locdoc

locdoc Member

ks5,

That should do 'er.

What......... no loading bench????????? LOL

Don't get sore... :) I'm envious.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

4. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Keep 'em coming guys. Lights...yes, older the more you need. I have room light, two desk tubes and a stand alone beside my bench in Reno. Never enough light.

Ks5, just plugged a new bar refrigerator in yesterday at the new house. Got it on a promotion, seems to work great so far. Figured that would solve the cold beverage problem while loading.

I will have to scout around for a cool safe door. That sounds like a great idea.

5. WZsembik

WZsembik Member

Make sure you factor in enough usable and sturdy shelving, for storage of supplies, reference books, gun cases - for when the hardware is in the safe - etc. You may want to plan some cabinet space for tools, bushings, dies, parts, etc. and also enough usable, (wide and deep enough), flat counter space for cleaning, strip-downs, repairs etc.

Bill

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Browning makes safe doors for building rooms as described. I'm sure many others do as well.

Matt

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I have built two such reloading buildings. One was 30 x 40 and two stories tall. The second one was 40 x 50 and one story.

Built concrete vault rooms in both with advice from Fort Knox vaults, who supplied the doors. Make sure to build in environmental controls in the walk-in vaults. Whatever size you currently think is adequate -- triple it.

Lots of lights. Not sure that has been mentioned enough. Lots of lights.

Lots of electrical outlets including some 220 volt.

Exhaust fan at just above bench height for any potential bullet casting.

Lots of insulation in walls and ceiling so there is never any excuse for not using the room or building.

A heavy solid entry door for the main room with dead bolt locks. A simple security system with alarms that sound in the main house including the master bedroom.

Might build in a shooting room. Something where you can test fire loads for functioning, pressure, and velocity. Test terminal ballistics of handgun and rifle bullets. Not necessarily long enough to test accuracy. Depending on the available land and its lay, might have an underground shooting range at not too much expense.

A covered back porch for sitting in the evening and for shooting clays in the dry when it rains.

If it is not the main entrance, then a door straight into the garage so you can load and unload guns and accessories out of the weather and in private.

Make reloading room tall enough to hang trophies. Fourteen foot tall finished inside minimum. Have at least one wall with 2x6 or even 2x8 studs and 3/4 inch thick plywood wall for hanging trophies.

Make room for a sitting area for two of your friends and you to sit comfortably in reclining chairs, admire your guns, drink coffee, and discuss life's pleasures. A big screen TV to watch your personal hunting videos and training videos.

A refrigerator / freezer for drinks and ice.

Intercom back to main house kitchen so you can tell your wife what snacks your friends and you would like her to bring.

A single size bed for taking naps.

8. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

1st. priority, one that doesn't run out of supplies every time I walk in. Otherwise I'm happy with what I have. (grin) Ross Puls

9. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

I'm still in the process of finishing mine using about half my basement. I had a 10 foot butcher block style counter top made by a friend. Then went to Lowes and ordered four vanity bases at chair height. I installed baskets in the slide out drawers to hold wads, primers and such so powder was kept seperate. At one end I installed the Spolar with reloading supplies in the end and middle cabinet. At the other end is the cleaning spot with supplies in the other end cabinet and second middle cabinet. A garage sale TV cabinet holds the TV and music items with speakers installed under the workbench. Next up will be additional power outlets and as many lights as I can find to hang over it. Steel shelving takes care of the reloads.

HJH

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Hammer1,

That single bed might come in handy if I asked my wife to deliver snacks for myself and friends while loading......but a great idea.

Honestly I stop loading if people show up. I probably have tunnel vision, but I like to pay close attention and have a rhythm when loading, so disruption to that just messes me all up.

Thanks guys...keep it rolling.

11. capvan

capvan Active Member

The coolest reloading room/gun vault I ever saw had an old bank vault door for the entry. With a working combination. I can't imagine what it took to install it, but it was so neat...

cap

12. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

I recall several previous threads here with photos of reloading rooms. Maybe you could search for those.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

13. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

a stripper pole is a nice addition!!! Birdtracker

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

When we built my house, that I designed, I made the front stoop area a concrete surrounded vault in the basement. Basically the foundation surrounds the front concrete stoop area. There was framing and sheeting put down on the inside of the foundation and the front stoop was poured. The only part of that room that does not have 10 inches of solid concrete is the combination controlled steel door. I will not put powder in there however because if anything should ignite inside there that would be one hell of an explosion with those restrictions. Makes a good shelter also. Jon

15. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Make your reloading benchs out of kitchen cabinets, with formica tops. You get all the categorized storage underneath plus a solid work surface. You can have shell drops into cabinet drawers or buckets in larger areas. Also you can have overhead cabinets for more storage. These work well, they are not that expensive considering you are building anyway, the tops are easy to keep clean, and they just look like you knew what you were doing.

White painted walls also. better light reflection.

All of the best thought out rooms I have seen are made this way. Also 2 lines lengthwise of flourescent lights will make it so you can see what you are doing.

All of the above posted ammenities are well worth considering, and I think you should include as many as you see fit, but the cabinet style workbench is the foundation for it all.

Randy

16. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Three lines of lights plus strategically located lights over reloading machines.

Did someone suggest more lights ?

17. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Keep them rolling. I have searched the threads and looked at a lot of pictures of rooms. I believe there was one very long thread, one not so long, but good looking rooms in both. Some are works of art, some are...well pretty basic and messy. I can relate. This is a once in a lifetime event for me more than likely, so I want to not overlook something obvious that I should have considered.

18. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

3 most important needs: Light, shelving, and a frig. Not necessarily in that order.

Edited: Big TV.

19. dverna

dverna Active Member

Make sure the lights and some of the outlets are wired to the transfer box for the generator. My transfer switch has only 6 15 amp circuits.

It is good to have something to do when the power goes out.

Don Verna

20. CR7Prez

CR7Prez Member

I just started mine this week. 20X15, will be using Hickory cabinets for a base & wall cabinets for storage, (19 total) with under cabinet lights, T1-11 on the walls, R23 insulation, pergo flooring, & many lights in the celing. I am really undecided on the celing material. Drywall, T1-11, painted chipboard??? Anyone with suggestions? Heat & AC for year around use, gets cold here in Upstate NY!

Almost forgot, a Fridge & comfy chairs for my Buds! I'll post pics as I make some progress. I'll be keeping my eyes open for a Brass Pole as Birdtracker suggests!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
building a reloading room
diy reloading room
how to build the perfect reloading room
perfect reloading room
reloading room
reloading rooms with exhaust

show your reloading room

the perfect reloading room