1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

IF I shoot registered....how's it work??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by starship, Apr 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starship

starship TS Member

Okay, actually thinking of shooting some registered targets. I know the folks at the gun club are all friendly and will help out someone new BUT, just thought I'd ask here and try to at least get an idea of what I'm in for.

Soooo, I get to the club say I want to shoot and do singles and just for giggles handicap. Not having shot registered before what class am I in and what yardage is my handicap? I most likely will shoot in a PITA shoot here in Oregon.

Also, what happnes as far as a squad goes. Will they put me on one? If the total is 100 targets do I shoot with the same squad? Do we shoot 25, then immediately follow with another 25 (on the same trap)? Do you shoot 25 then wait and go to a different trap for the next 25?

This is starting to sound compicated. Any help appreciated.

Chuck

2. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Bring at least 100 rounds to the field, count on shooting them all..twenty-five at a time, don't shoot position one, follow their lead. Welcome aboard!

Big Jack

3. Rusty Razor

Rusty Razor Member

If the Person or club knows your ability they can classify you by that, or you will be in B class untill you have a 500 target avg. Handicaps; Men start on the 20 yard line, Women and juniors start on the 19 yard line. You chose which squad and post to shoot on. though on handicaps you can only have a 2 yard difference between shooters, ie 19 to 21. As far as how many rounds you shoot at a trap is up to the club Quick 50's is common thats 50 rounds at two traps each. A Westy Hogan format is good to, thats were 1st squad shoots 25, 25, 50. 2nd squad 25,50,25 3rd squad 50,25,25. So the best bet is to just follow the sqad leader ask a lot of questions and let everyone know it is you frist time. Have fun! We need new shooters like you to enjoy the sport. You shoot the entire event with the same post and squad. hope this helps Jim Henry.

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Welcome to registered shooting. You can download the PITA rulebook from the website shown above. This will explain a lot and Good Luck to you.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

starship, show up, go through the handicap table at the shoot, they'll lead you through joining and assigning your singles class and handicap yardage. You'll then pay at the cashier and I suggest you only pay what's necessary and not worry about optional purses for the time being. Then they'll help you select an appropriate squad to be on. You will shoot with the same squad mates through any 100 bird event and should bring 100 shells plus a spare or three in case of the need for an extra shell(s). Be very sure you understand how to tell when your squad will be next up and very sure that you appear at the proper field at the right time so there's no need to hunt for you when the squad is ready to shoot. Have a great time and do, breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.