1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If I lowered the pad.....

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by likes-to-shoot, Nov 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

If I lowered the pad and didn't change anything else, seeing the same sight picture with the beads, would my POI stay the same? I'm trying to keep my head more upright.

Thanks for any input.

Bill

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a pad adjuster put on my gun and I dropped the pad about 3/4 inch and rotated it slightly to fit my shoulder pocket better. My gun seems to fit better with my head a tiny bit more upright and there was no change to the POI.

3. likes-to-shoot

Mike.........I was pretty sure of the answer but still wasn't convinced. Thanks for your helpful reply.

Bill

4. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

You can also usually expect to notice an increase in recoil to the face when you lower the pad.

Morgan

5. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

Bill,

The best way to determine the answer to your question is perform a POI test at 13yds, full choke.

The short answer is if you do not see a change in bead alignment (I am assuming you have a mid-bead), then the POI isn't going to change.

Hope this helps,

Mike

6. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I disagree. When you do that, the gun sits higher and rotates upward a little more under recoil. POI is raised a slightly.

If your cheek is getting pounded, try a change in pitch.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

zzt is correct, but the rotational change due to recoil might be so slight that it can not be measured at 13 yards.

In general, if one does not change the level of the rear sight (the eye) or the front sight, the POI will not change significantly.

Pat Ireland

8. IM390

IM390 Member

Changing the position of the pad won't necessarily change height of the comb, depending upon the type of stock and the person that's shooting the gun. When changing the pad position you may have only made the stock to cheek position more comfortable and preventing you from lifting you head when you shoot. You need to look down the barrel and if you have two beads, they ought to line up in a figure-8 position and then when you shoot, the target ought to line up with that making a "snowman" of three round circles all sitting on top of each other with little of no space in between. Even if you don't shoot that way, you now have a reference point to when shooting at a patterning board to tell how much you have changed your POI

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Any change made will change the POI. If you change the color of the gun the change in POI will be very small. Pat, do you agree? HMB

10. likes-to-shoot

IM390.............Your exactly correct in the reason why I'm thinking about the pad change. I'm looling for a little more comfort and I have noticed myself lifting my head once and a while.

Bill

11. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

Lots of people will experience a significant increase in cheek pain from doing this to their gun. Better off to raise the comb and increase the height of the rib with one of those add - ons. Plus there are other advantages to the add on rib. You can make your own try rib from wood to see if this is for you or not before you lay your money down.

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Bill, I shoot a low rib gun. I have a longish neck (for a trap shooter) and I have to crawl the stock. One of the byproducts of that is I look out the top of my glasses. I finally said hooey to all the "experts" and put an adjustable butt plate on, then dropped the pad by more than an inch. I now shoot with head more erect, I don't crawl the stock, and my cheek doesn't hurt anymore. I can now shoot 1 1/8oz (1145fps) all day with no discomfort. I am MUCH more comfortable, and I see the target better. There are only two small issues. First is the gun does shoot a touch higher. That's no problem for me, and probably reflect the more upright, relaxed stance. The other is I have to listen to the "experts" telling me I have my pad WAY too low.

13. tomk2

tomk2 Member

I second (or third?) the comments on cheek pain when you raise the gun too high by lowering the pad. Been there, done that. No long term harm in trying, but if the cheek starts to hurt, you know why.

14. Harv Shell

Harv Shell TS Supporters TS Supporters

As far as cheek pain, I have the opposite reaction to lowering the pad. If my face is too low, my face rolls down onto the comb, with the pad lower/stock higher, my cheekbone is not down on the comb the same & no recoil. Harv.

15. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

this site is full of opinions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.