1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

If Dems win Presidency, will the Draft return

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bubba, Mar 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubba

Bubba Member

This is Off Topic. No 7 1/2 or 8 magnum shot stuff here. Go to next thread if you don't do O.T. stuff.

There is a real chance the next President will be a Democrat. Both Democrat candidates want to remove troops from Iraq. With all that has gone on in Iraq (right and/or wrong) a quick removal of troops I believe would lead to massive U.S. casualties. Should this happen, I could see an even more loss of troop morale, leading to less re-inlistments and new recruits. Why would anyone want to serve under a weak legged Commander in Chief? So, to get necessary troop strength, the return of the draft will be a real possibility.

What do you all think?

2. mike moncilovich

mike moncilovich TS Member

Draft who??? All the exemptions that afforded those with clout or just the middle class and working poor. I believe that if in college, one should just finish the current semimester and do his/her tour of duty. Can complete shcool after. When I was in the service, married men where drafted, but those in school where exempt,go figure. Athletes had profiles that prohibited them from serving, yet the could play pro-sports. Just think, maybe some of our elite would have to serve and they could be Prince Harry...Mike

3. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

My son is a career Navy man. He say's the exodus is already beginning. Men and Women who are nearing the end of their enlistment are opting out for fear of having to serve under Billary or Obismal.

Robert

4. admiral Art

admiral Art TS Member

Well if it does, I want my original Aug. 1971 lottery draw of 204 (or better).

5. Bocephas

Bocephas Well-Known Member

If they bring the troops home why should we need the draft?

If they keep them over there ,yes we may see a draft.

I have family over there,some three tours.

What do they say,we are going down a dead end street.

One has been wounded twice.Yet, we send socks and other things they do not get from our great commander in chief.Talk about weak legged.

Simple things as wet wipes to help clean the sand and dust out of their eyes.

Yes,three months in the sand storms with just a tent on patrol.

When we go to bed at night we should all thank the men and women over there.

I wonder why they are not busting their #ss to rejoin?

Bocephas

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I doubt it

John C. Saubak

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Just announced: February there were 27 U.S. troops killed - the third fewest in any month since the invasion. If things quiet down before the election there could be some surprise results at the polls.

8. crusha

crusha TS Member

(sigh)

There will always be those who want to bring back the draft...witness Jimmy Carter. In politics, this is almost always a sort of pacifist, anti-war position..."Yah, we'll make YOUR kid go, then we'll see if you beat the drums for war..."

But in reality...the more likely outcome is, higher pay and perks to entice people to stay in (or go to begin with). The days of freckle-faced patriotic kids like Opie Cunningham doing it for free "just cuz" it's their duty are over. The days of high-paid mercenaries will return. It will be needed to keep the war machine going.

And it's very likely Shrillary will be their boss.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Even German university students were exempt from the draft for most of WWII, while married men and common workers were routinely drafted. Must be a fairly universal thing.<br>
    <br>
    I doubt the Demoncraps will reinstate the draft. Oh, they threaten to, when they throw temper tantrums about the war. But when push comes to shove, they'll not alienate their young voters.<br>
    <br>
    I'm of the opinion that we should not have a draft or compulsary military service for all. The problem as I see it is that the military, being voluntary, gets people who want to be there. If we draft everyone, we'll water down the makeup of the military with losers and the un- and undereducated. The military is not large enough to absorb them and still maintain a quality makeup. If the military was larger, like the size it was in WWII, then yes, the draft makes sense.

10. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Brian wrote: "If we draft everyone, we'll water down the makeup of the military with losers and the un- and undereducated."

If that's the case, then that would sure be a lot different from when I was drafted in 1966. I was drafted out of college (as were a lot of the guys I served with). In my opinion, the draftees RAISED the education level and overall intelligence level of the Army at that time. At that time, many (or perhaps most) of the NCO's had about a ninth grade education. They made a career of the military because it beat the alternatives they faced on the outside with little education and even less motivation. Maybe things are different now.

11. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

I have to comment on this. A draft would be a huge mistake. The quality of the soldier from the generation that they are bringing into the military now is saddddddddd.. Alot of us older soldiers that would otherwise hang for a few more years.. are opting out... the watering down of the military has begun already, with the gang problems in the army and so forth... These kids have no motivation and have no desire to WORK...

If we pull a mass exit from Iraq fast.. it will not be pretty... the military planners have already proved they cant plan their way out of a wet bag of Shyt... Not just the NCO's are effected by the quality of today's generation... the officers are dumber than usual for some odd reason...lol

just my three cents worth

12. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Like many above, I doubt that the draft would be re-instated, unless the United States were attacked en masse, by a Russian or Chinese army.

My youngest brother was drafted in 1970. He had been attending the local community college, but dropped out, and decided to take his chances. His number came up and he got drafted. According to the senior NCO's who gave the test batteries when he got to basic, the ones who went to 'Nam were the ones who didn't do very well. The poorest scorers on the exam went to basic, Fort Polk, then Vietnam.

He scored high on the tests, went to school and became the vehicle commander on the then fairly new Vulcan cannon AA vehicle. Spent most of his time in the boonies around Ft. Hood, killing coyotes and jack rabbits.

Best,
    Dennis

13. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I agree completely with easystreet.

I too was drafted into the Army in 1966, served PROUDLY as a helecopter crewchief in VietNam and was wounded in action in 1968.

I get sick & tired of hearing all this crap about "drafted army of losers" etc. I might remind the presently assembled that this country has depended on military conscription to fill the ranks in every major war since the Civil War (both sides).

I doubt seriously that WHOEVER wins the '08 Presidential election will bring back the draft (spelled political suicide), too bad------IMO the draft was & would again be a good thing for the country.

John C. Saubak

60% disabled VietNam veteran (drafted) and DAMN PROUD to have served!

14. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Draftees have served with distinction every time our nation called them. There is no reason to believe that future draftees, if called, would be any different. The skilled core of non-commissioned officers would soon whip them into shape.

I hope that we do not need to resort to a draft. However, the mechanism to quickly do so is in place. If we were to have a massive sneak attack on the US, which is highly unlikely, we would, IMO, experience a patriotic fever and go after who ever attacked us.

There are many women serving with distinction in the armed services at present.

A key question to me is should women be subject to the draft? At present, only men are required to register for the draft. If we believe in a truly equal society, why should women be exempt?

Ed Ward

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Army mechanic mentions getting gangs into the military if we go to a draft. There are ALREADY gangs in the military, but the draft will make the problem worse.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

If the Democrats do win the Presidency, certainly a daft will return.

Pat Ireland

17. ArmyMechanic

ArmyMechanic Member

Brian, I mentioned that and infact there are many in the army right now.. Someone else mentioned the NCO's?? Let me tell you, its not the NCO corp you remember... the corps is week, non trained... especicailly with the promote before you train them theory we have right now.. they dont look to see if they would be good NCO's anymore... the promote for a feel good system... I dont care who says different.. its being done in droves.... they just wont admit it... 25 years of this is enough... I am dismayed at the nco corps... the current and previous batch of Sergeants Majors (within the last 10 years) have ruined it) And yes i would say this to anyone in person including the Sergeant Major of the Army!!

18. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I'll tell you just how "skilled" and "highly trained" our NCO's were in our Battery (artillery's equivalent of a company). Our First Sargent's IQ was lower than average room temperature. This was verified by our Battery Clerk who had access to the files. His waist size was nearly equal to his IQ. He couldn't do a pushup or run a mile if his life depended on it. His main mission in the Army was to make it to the NCO club every day by 1430 hours to begin drinking beer. Most days he accomplished that goal with time to spare.

Our platoon sargent was supposed to train us in observing artillery strikes and show us how to plot their positions on a Plotting Board by using intersecting azimuths as observed by the forward observers with their BC Scopes. This was all based on a coordinate system. The only problem was, the platoon sargent didn't have more than a very vague idea how to do it. With my engineering background, I picked up on the system with only a couple of hours of reading the manual. Every time we went to the field or had a training exercise thereafter, I was the one who conducted the training and organization of everything while the platoon sargent stayed mostly out of sight.

I could go on and on about this, but it dredges up too many unpleasant memories. Just let there be no doubt that the drafeees who served at the time I did accomplished more with greater efficiency and effectiveness than the "volunteers" who were supervising us. There was no doubt that the draftees (as a whole) were far better educated and represented a broader spectrum of society than the "lifers" who were mostly looking for an easy job with little required of them other than to "keep their nose clean" and "not screw up" by trying to do any thinking or anything original.

19. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

The draft WILL come back evently. Wheter the Dems do it or not remains to be seen. The democrats ae known for cutting the military to pay for political social programs.Our military is already STRECHED to the breaking point. We are STILL in Hati, in Bosnia(oh yeah with the U.N.), in Korea, in Europe, and in Japan. Now we are in Saudi Arabia ,Afganistan, and Iraq. I can surely understand how some of the kids in the military feel. Contray to what bozos beleive, today's all vounteer force is FAR better than it's general civilian counter part age group in knowledge and ability, and has a much higher educational level, but that is wearing thin. Many troops are on their 3rd deployment in the middle east in a VERY short time. I work on a military installtion and see the stress first hand. All that being said I see no reason for a young person not to serve his country for 2 years and think that is not too much to ask. Even during Vietnam there were options such as the Merchant Marine or peace corps that filled the requirement. God bless the kids today who actually "choose" to serve, because nobody makes them. --M.E. Brazell USAF Retired

20. jevoliva

jevoliva Member

Thank you to all, past and present, who have served to defend this great country.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.