1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

idiots on the range- insight needed

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kevboz, May 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

This happened on a skeet range just last weekend but being I'm a trapshooter also I figured you guys would have some good insight into this.

I've been shooting skeet and trap now for about 2.5 years. I broke my first 100(16's) in trap after about 9 months of shooting and I'm still trying for it in skeet. a few 99's. I'm a member at a local club. Shoot just about every weekend and have made some really good friends through the sport. Just trying to say I'm pretty normal, I'm very safety conscious and a decent shot.

So I went to my normal club this past weekend and only had a box of ammo left. My shooting partner left so I saw a field that had 3 guys standing around. I walk over and ask them if I can shoot with them. They all seemed really nice. We introducted ourselves.. pretty normal up to this point. One guy was joking about how was was trying to break a 10 this time so I figured they were rookie shooters. Plus being their faces didn't look familiar and they all had field guns I suppose they were rookies.

We all grab our ammo and start walking over to station 1. (this was a skeet field). as I'm walking over, one of the guys has 2 boxes of ammo and places them about a foot in front of the trap house corners. I didn't know what he was doing (turns out this is some learning technique) As he was walking back I said something.. Totally in a nice tone. not mean or condescending or anything about how it's not a good idea to walk out there, he could get shot from the other skeet fields.. I said it was for his own safety and I wasn't trying to be a pain in his ass. I think he said something like "ok thanks" and that was it. So one of his buddies says to me, "Why don't you lead off". I walk over to station 1. Put 2 shells in my gun, line up for the shot and I noticed all 3 of them were standing over to the right of station 2. Pretty far from me. I look over at them cause I'm wondering if they could even hear my call from that far away when one of them says, "Hey, why don't you go shoot on another field, We don't think it's a good idea for you to shoot with us". Clearly I pissed them off by my safety tip and these are some sensitive guys. So now I'm thinking what a bunch of assholes. I unload my gun and walk off the field. Yes I was pissed. I'm not going to get into with the 3 guys. It's just not worth it.

I was pretty pissed off though. I walk over to the range officer who I've known for a few years and tell him what happened and he was pretty pissed to say the least. He said they have no right to do with that did and they aren't even members. He told me if I wanted to I could have had them thrown out of the club for doing what they did. He told me the one guy was even defensive about what he did. The f'ing nerve of some people.

I'm glad I walked off cause I wouldn't have enjoyed shooting with the idiots (them pulling for me and all) but it just pissed me off about how some people are sooo freaking sensitive about things.

Anyone had anything similar to this happen? I've had my share of idiots cussing and throwing shells next to me on the trap field also... even cussing so loud they are causing the voice activators to go off. Throwing the whole tempo of the round off.

Should I have gotten into with these rookies? and what do you do when someone is just plain rude or cussing so loud they he is causing the false targets to be released.

Thanks

2. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Just take a deep breath and do the mature like you did and walk away!
    There's an asshole in every crowd Shooting is supposed to be fun.

3. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

No I didn't say anything like that. I would never brag to someone I didn't know. totally tacky and classless. I just wanted to say that just to tell people i'm not a rookie and I'm a knowledgeable shooter with the web thread.

4. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Banned User Banned

No matter what sport, what club or group there are always a few jerks. It's to badd you had to run into such a group. You did what I would have done by walking away. Your out to enjoy yourself not get in to a confrontation with three morons. Keep shooting and keep reacting the way you did when confornted with dumbasses.

5. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

Then why did you brag to us? I have set off activated voice calls with a "S**t" now and then myself. So big deal. RG

6. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

I was stating that I've been shooting a while. To show that I'm not a newbie and I know how to associate with people. How is that bragging??

7. lumper

lumper TS Member

Who were they guests of? The member who they were a guest of should have been with them. The club should find this member and discuss the situation of his membership and his guests with him.

BTW ... being that crack of shot that it sounds like you are why didn't you pull your own targets? Loop the chord between/under your belt with enough hanging out so it wont hit the ground when you drop it. Put the gun in your shoulder hit the button and drop the paddle and ... BANG/POOF ... do it again for the next bird and off ya go around the course. If you want to make it a hair more difficult don't shoulder the gun but do it from a low gun and begin mounting the gun as soon as you drop the paddle.

Now for whatever it is worth the RSO should have just walked over to the 3 shooters and asked them to leave on the spot. It is very rude when a member says no to you shooting with them but when a freakin guest of your own club tells you that it is time for them to leave and be told they are no longer welcome ever again at the club for anything at all.

8. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

Pull your own targets.. I've never seen anyone actuually do that. Maybe i'll have to try it one day when it isn't that crowded.

Members of the club get lower rates for rounds. IF you shoot enough it is cost effective. The range is open to the public so they don't really have to be a guest to shoot there. AFter telling the RSO my story he was pissed as hell at these guys and told me I could have had then thrown out. I didn't know it at the time, But if it happens again. I will do it.

9. bgf

bgf Active Member

It amazes me what someone can read into a written word. Bragging was never in my thoughts when I read Kev's post. Just a little background regarding his relationship with the shooting sports...and its protocol!!

Kev...you took the high road...good for you.

Bernie

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Mmmm..broke 100 straight after 9 months in trap, a few 99's in skeet. Probably a football and basketball star in high school, too. Last week somebody said he just started to shoot sporting clays and had a 97 his first time. A couple years ago I met somebody who said he just took up golf and was averaging about 290 yards on his drives.
    I supposed it's possible because I could have played major league baseball, or gone into the NBA, but I didn't because I wanted to be with my girlfriend who was a finalist in the Miss America contest.

11. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

One thing I have seen is teenagers horsing around while shooting trap, when I see a bunch of these jerks doing this I simply walk up to the range officer and inform him what is going on, when these kids leave, ususally when they finished their round I wait for other shooters and join them and dont allow this to ruin my day at the range.

Regards,

Berettaman7

12. lumper

lumper TS Member

dickgtax ... shooting trap or skeet is a mind game. There is skill involved but it is 80% mind game. It aint hard to shoot 100 straight on trap or skeet unless you make it hard by telling yourself it is hard. Now if you can do it and not let yourself get all pshyched out and such in competition is another story but shooting good or even perfect rounds of trap and skeet is not a difficult thing at all to do.

Am I just a bad shot or did I let my mind make me miss that bird? That is a question you must ask yourself each time you miss a bird.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Seems to me you did the only thing you could have done. It's clear to me that one of these yahoo's wanted to be the pro and that is why he put those boxes out there as he was going to do a little teaching for his friends. I think he probley didn't want a real good shooter around as he would no longer be the expert. Everyone likes being expert for a day and I think you peed in his pool. That is the only thing I can think of. Nice of you to shoot with them in the first place. 3 guys with field guns and empty shell boxes in stratigic locals make me nervous. As far as your options go.. What else could you have done? The only thing you will ever do shooting with a bunch of nuckel heads is kill your average. You would have spent your whole round worrying about barrels and getting your legs sweeped and asnswearing a bunch of questions instead of doing what you went to do. There isn't a thing wrong with any of that if you are asked to do so.The problems with these boys started at home. The manners displayed prove it. No common sense and no common decency. Jeff

14. kevboz

kevboz TS Member

SuperxJeff,

The only thing is that I don't think I came off by being a pro shooter at all. I never said anything my own scores or anything. Besides the introductions.. that is pretty much all I said. The one guy said something about shooting the 10 on the next round. I think I said something like, " as long as your improving, that's all that matters".
    I shoot a Beretta 391. a decent gun but not some high end gun. I have a tool bag which I use to carry shells and stuff.. didn't even have a hat on. Just my normal pair of prescription sunglasses that I normally shoot in. I don't have a prize bag. I don't have my 100 patch all over my clothing.... Who knows, I'm spending too much time thinking about these morons.
    Thanks again for everyone's comments.

15. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

This thread has kind of drifted off topic and the original topic - safety - was a good one.

I just came from a club this morning that prompted me to write an article on this very topic a few months ago. For some weird reason, I see more gun handling safety violations at that club than anywhere else. This club sees a high population of older, retired shooters and perhaps they've forgotten a few things. I don't know, but I'm tiring real fast of guns being carried with the action closed, live rounds in chambers while changing posts and other very basic safety measures violated. I'm hoping some of the offenders read the article and think about how they handle their guns.

I usually drop a couple of copies of each issue off at that club - I'll have to make sure they get more of that issue.

Ed

16. lumper

lumper TS Member

kevboz ... I hope this makes you feel better about the situation but it was all your fault, I aint got a clue why but it was all your fault. Now I aint saying this for any other reason other than it was all your fault and if it wasnt all your fault than it should have been just because it was all your fault!

There now that we have that all cleared up I just wanted to take a last moment of time and say it was all your fault ... they could tell just by your sauntering way to station 1 that you were the club champeen and was going to porpesly humidicate them into the shame of the horridicly poor shooting abilities they have ... btw it was all your fault!

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

AverageEd ... maybe you could change your name to SafetyManEd and see if they get the hint?

Just kidding safety is a concern and a legitimate concern.

18. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I did not read all the post. One of the two clubs that I belong to has a rule that you as a member bring a guest that does something or causes trouble you as the member with the guest can and will be thrown out of the club for a short time or for good. I was at the outdoor pistol range and the range was cold at the time and there were 3 people down range. There was one person at the shooting table handling one handgun and a second handgun on the table closed. He was braking two rules right off. I asked him to open the gun he had in his hand and to put it down on the table and to open the one on the table. He looked at me and asked WHY? Its the club rules and that there were people down range. He said They are not loaded. It does not matter. You are not suppose to be handling a gun while people are down range and they are to be open when the range is cold. He refused to till I got toe to toe with him and told him in a matter that he understood. I waited till the member that brought him in came back from down range and spoke to him. I also reminded him what the rules were and he said he would take care of the problem. He understood what could happen in both the meeting and the safety of the range. Some people think they can do as they please. With your problem would ask if any of them are members and when they said no we are not members then I would state that I am. You should have put them in their place and let them know they are guest and they should act like guests.

19. cdconley

cdconley TS Member

Waaaaaa! They don't want to play with me. I'm going to tattletale on them. Kev, grow up.

My take based on what you have posted so far. You explained in your first post that you consider yourself superior to these “rookies”. I’m sure you came across the same way to them. There is nothing that I dislike more then a pushy blow hard. These were new shooters (according to you) that probably had never been told where they could stand or walk. I’m guessing had you not come across as a bragging know it all as you did in your first post, these new shooters would have welcomed any HELP or ADVICE given to them, in a FRIENDLY manner. I have never run into a “newbee” that was offended by a kind word of encouragement or advice, but I’ve witnessed a great deal of pushy “matter-o-fact” and rude comments from, members that came across as jerks.

If we want to grow shooting sports, it’s our job to make new shooters feel welcome. Grow up Kev, you should have handled this much differently then what you did based on what I’ve read so far.

20. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Kev -

Good for you, opening your mouth. Shooting is a privilege and you should never be reticent to ask someone fumbling around or to question something out of the norm - YOUR safety is job #1.

In gentlemanly fashion I've asked guys to walk off lines when a guy can't seem to get his gun working right, but I have also physically moved people into shooting positions when they refuse to move into position themself. I ask guys walking around with closed actions to open them up... either act safely or get off my squad or better yet off the range.

If someone doesn't like it, too bad - again good for you! BTW, this is not arrogance, if one does not look out for one's best interest, you cannot ensure you'll get another chance to get back on that line - Its the stupid mistakes that will cost us all and playing nice gets us nowhere - we're not shooting rubber bands, we are shooting live ammunition.

Jay Spitz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.