1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Identify this Perazzi

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by skeet_man, Aug 12, 2013.

1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Looks like a well work Comp 1 to me. Tula choked barrels. Maybe a mis-marked receiver.

Only thing I found googling "SC3T" was two posts by the owner inquiring about it:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7976719/Need_help_with_Perazzi_value

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=334287

Looks like someone jammed the spare parts into a OEM choke tube box, that box looks a little thin to be the original spares box.

Type 3 gun in need of a LOT of restoration work (reblue and refinish at minimum). I would say $2k would be about right WITH both triggers, assuming the wood is solid and can be salvaged and the ribs are all still tight. Its far from a desirable gun, even in good condition.

2. bossbasl

bossbasl Well-Known Member

Quite certain it is not a SC3 receiver. Would agree with others as most likely a tired Comp 1. Lyle

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Perazzi anomaly. Non-sculpted receiver.

4. SB4J

SB4J Member

skeet man; What in your opinion makes this Perazzi "undesirable"? Was this model a substandard effort by the company? Thanks.

ps; should probably take the tension off the hammer springs.

5. skeet_man

Type 3 receivers aren't nearly as popular as type 4. 27 5/8" tula choke barrels aren't nearly as popular as they once were, and being fixed skeet/skeet, that barrel is a one trick pony. Anything less than 30" on a skeet gun won't sell.

Theres nothing substandard about the gun, its just dated technology and setup, and improvements have been made to the design.

6. SB4J

SB4J Member

skeet man; OK! Interesting. Thanks.

7. shotgunner

shotgunner Member

As Skeet-Man said it is a Comp 1 skeet with 27 5/8 inch barrels , Tula chokes and factory porting. It had case hardening originally. I owned one in the 70s and they were good guns but cost less than a Mirage or MX8.

8. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

You might want to uncock those hammers just to be a nice guy. The ones in the gun too.

The serial would make that a 1974 gun and there were lotsa blued SC's - easy could be original blue. The head of the stock is showing some oil soak and you might want someone who knows what they're doing take a look at that.

"that barrel is a one trick pony" and so is every other dedicated skeet or trap barrel. BFD That's the whole idea - get the best tool for the job

"Anything less than 30" on a skeet gun won't sell." Just like a 32" trap barrel - all fad driven. That Perazzi is as fine a skeet gun as 99% of skeet shooters could want. The other 1% would be the kreigers that would never know any better hahaha International shooters are still using gun so like that dated SC you'd just have to laugh.

look familiar?

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=331051

http://www.trapshooters.com/cfpages/sthread.cfm?threadid=316237

Shoot your gun and have fun

9. SB4J

SB4J Member

semperfi909; Thanks for the post. I was just about ready to throw my Comp 1 pigeon gun in the dumpster.

10. drgondog

drgondog Member

I concur 100% with Semperfi. I shot myself into NRA lifetime master in International Skeet with That gun.

First, the number one question is the top lever and side ribs. If top lever not dead center and side ribs sound - %2800+ without extra set of triggers sounds right to me...

Extra set? I have sold two sets for $525 and $625 - (bottom first) in last six months.

If you are a AAA in Skeet you are probably not going to use 27 5/8 barrels but it is still one helluva low gun skeet gun.

Regards,

Bill Marshall

11. drgondog

drgondog Member

BTW - one of the reasons Perazzi having trouble maintaining Price Point for New Type IV's is that there is nothing wrong with a reasonably cared cared for Type I, II or III. At 1/2 to 1/3 of current Retail prices. I have a Type II SC3 - one of the very early scalloped/mirage/MX8 receivers that has had maybe 50,000 rounds through it over 45 years and would not give that one up.

One thing about the forearm on that gun - the wood might have shrunk from forend iron so look at it. That is one place where the Type IV was a real improvement - metal to wood adjustment with barrel nut/screw design when the wood shrinks was a nice feature.

I would also look at the action knuckles for scratches and the lower firing pin hole for signs of real wear.

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

I have one of these sitting in my safe. Shot it for 30+ years. Its a 2 barrel set now as I added a 29.5" bunker barrel in 1982. Shot both bunker and ISU Skeet with the same gun. I estimate that i have over 300k rounds through it. Great gun. A lot of American skeet shooters used it with tube sets.

The side rib question is not much of a deal. I have a friend that fixed mine for a case of beer.

Tom

13. skeet_man

Look at the prices of those guns linked to. You have to GIVE 28" barreled (or less) skeet guns now a days. Like or not, 30" and longer are what sell. And int'l skeet is not nearly as popular as american skeet in the US. The market for a sub 28" fixed choke skeet gun is very VERY small.

14. semperfi909

The point that I was trying to make is that market fads do not in any real way affect the utility of that gun.

I mean who really cares who shoots what? If you like the gun and it fits and functions properly who GAF if some meathead fad follower has to have a barrel 2" longer?

Just cut to the chase, drop yer pants and wave em at each other

15. SB4J

SB4J Member

What constitutes a "give away" price for a hand built Perazzi described as: 'tired" with "undesirable" barrels?

16. skeet_man

The second gun linked for $2500 WITH full set of kolar tubes, nasco case, and a second set of triggers. THATS a giveaway price. And it still took two months to sell!

Many dealers won't buy sub 30" skeet guns, because they know they don't sell, and if they do, they're not going to pay much for it because they know it will sit for a while.

The "utility" of the gun DOES NOT determine its value. The market, desirability, and what someone is willing to pay does. With sub 30" barrels, the market is small, the desirability is low, and what someone is willing to pay is not much. Try selling a 26" o/u skeet gun, the market is almost non-existent.

17. SCO/C

SCO/C Active Member

Some might not like 26" guns. But shorter barrels are popular among pigeon and skeet (especially international skeet) shooters.

Don't forget Kim Rhode won 4 Olympic medals with her original 26" MX-12.

18. semperfi909

This bbs format really needs some smiley faces

I notice that my posts in particular are in need of a few

justa lecha know

Charlie

19. drgondog

drgondog Member

Here is a made up SCO starting at 15K with factory Tula chokes. started like as a plain MS80 Skeet back in the 80's -

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=359292536

Skeet Man _ won't argue your point from a dealer perspective and a desire to flip it.. but to the end user like me - its a value at $2800 if it is in as good a shape as it appears. You can argue all day long about 30" barrels but when I do go to an International event I still see a LOT of 28" and Mirage/Comp I w/Tula factory chokes.

So it doesn't fit the AAA/4 gun model? So it limits to the skeet shooter that likes to shoot a lot of 12 ga -

There are tens of thousands of 28" 12 ga U/O still shooting out there. The Brownings, M32, Beretta's, Winchesters, Perazzi's, Daly's, SKB's, etc aren't wearing out - they just change hands.

Search tags for this page

identifing factory perazzi sco