1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Identify the history of this?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by g7777777, Sep 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Found in my father in laws closet after he passed away-

Says Reminegton Arms company on the side of the receiver and the top of the rib.

I am pretty certain this belonged to his father and can be seen in an old picture with some canadian geese that he had shot.

No gauge or choke markings on the barrel which looks like fake damascus.

Serial number 3162xx

At first seeing it laying there- I thought it was a hardware store gun but then saw the Remington on it

Hopefully this will get passed down.

He had another gun- a Remington 41 rimfire derringer that his great uncle had killed a man with in Chicago- that is why the family moved west to Idaho. They were running. Unknown to me at the time, about 20 years ago, he traded it to Reds trading post in Twin Falls Idaho for a Ruger 10-22. I found out about 15 years ago. I told that story in the last few months and someone asked if I had ever called Reds. I did that in March. They remembered the gun well- it had been there about 15 years and had been sold two weeks previous to my phone call.

If this gun could talk it would probably have a lot of stories to tell- they didnt believe much in seasons and limits when they had to feed their families then.

Regards from Iowa

Gene
    [​IMG]

2. g7777777

Found in my father in laws closet after he passed away-

Says Reminegton Arms company on the side of the receiver and the top of the rib.

I am pretty certain this belonged to his father and can be seen in an old picture with some canadian geese that he had shot.

No gauge or choke markings on the barrel which looks like fake damascus.

Serial number 3162xx

At first seeing it laying there- I thought it was a hardware store gun but then saw the Remington on it

Hopefully this will get passed down.

He had another gun- a Remington 41 rimfire derringer that his great uncle had killed a man with in Chicago- that is why the family moved west to Idaho. They were running. Unknown to me at the time, about 20 years ago, he traded it to Reds trading post in Twin Falls Idaho for a Ruger 10-22. I found out about 15 years ago. I told that story in the last few months and someone asked if I had ever called Reds. I did that in March. They remembered the gun well- it had been there about 15 years and had been sold two weeks previous to my phone call.

If this gun could talk it would probably have a lot of stories to tell- they didnt believe much in seasons and limits when they had to feed their families then.

Regards from Iowa

Gene
    [​IMG]

3. chipking

chipking TS Member

It could be the 1894 SxS hammerless or the 1900 SxS hammerless. The 1894 was the higher grade and had a Purdy type forearm attachment. Several grades were available with the grade letter being stamped on the watertable. Even the lowest grade had some line engraving. The 1900 was a lower quality version of the same gun with a "snap" forearm attachment(sold as hardware store guns as well under many different names). No engraving. Both were available in steel(both Remington and Ordnance steel on the 1894) or Damascus barrels. No mention of a fake damascus being used in the barrels but not an uncommon practice for this vintage guns. Is it ejector or extractor? Vintage 1894-1910

--- Chip King ---

4. chipking

chipking TS Member

It could be the 1894 SxS hammerless or the 1900 SxS hammerless. The 1894 was the higher grade and had a Purdy type forearm attachment. Several grades were available with the grade letter being stamped on the watertable. Even the lowest grade had some line engraving. The 1900 was a lower quality version of the same gun with a "snap" forearm attachment(sold as hardware store guns as well under many different names). No engraving. Both were available in steel(both Remington and Ordnance steel on the 1894) or Damascus barrels. No mention of a fake damascus being used in the barrels but not an uncommon practice for this vintage guns. Is it ejector or extractor? Vintage 1894-1910

--- Chip King ---

5. g7777777

Extractor with automatic ejector

Forearm just pulls off from the tip like the lower grade LC smiths

Gene

6. g7777777

Extractor with automatic ejector

Forearm just pulls off from the tip like the lower grade LC smiths

Gene

7. g7777777

The damascus is "rubbed off" in many places

Col K- please see if the serial number range of your gun is anywhere in this range- thanks

Regards from Iowa

Gene

8. g7777777

The damascus is "rubbed off" in many places

Col K- please see if the serial number range of your gun is anywhere in this range- thanks

Regards from Iowa

Gene

9. wm rike

wm rike Member

It's a 1900 Remington. Regardless of the barrel construction, damascus or steel, they were nitro-proved. Made through 1910.

10. wm rike

wm rike Member

It's a 1900 Remington. Regardless of the barrel construction, damascus or steel, they were nitro-proved. Made through 1910.

11. pfofml

pfofml Member

My family had one of the same. Extractors only. This gun was not never fired in my recollection, because it was deemed to be Damascus. However my father said that he shot it using somkeless powder durning the 1930s. Today it is a good looking wall hanger.

Peter

12. pfofml

pfofml Member

My family had one of the same. Extractors only. This gun was not never fired in my recollection, because it was deemed to be Damascus. However my father said that he shot it using somkeless powder durning the 1930s. Today it is a good looking wall hanger.

Peter

13. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

A damascus steel pattern was used on some of the early steel barrels because the steel barrels was a new innovation, and some people were either wary of the new steel barrels or wanted the damascus look. Some where in some of my old reference books this very thing was discussed, and it was not an uncommon practice at the time.

14. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

A damascus steel pattern was used on some of the early steel barrels because the steel barrels was a new innovation, and some people were either wary of the new steel barrels or wanted the damascus look. Some where in some of my old reference books this very thing was discussed, and it was not an uncommon practice at the time.

15. Drew Hause

Drew Hause Well-Known Member

Infro on Remington damascus here

16. Drew Hause

Infro on Remington damascus here

17. Drew Hause

Remington NEVER used Faux damascus, nor did ANY U.S. maker

18. Drew Hause

Remington NEVER used Faux damascus, nor did ANY U.S. maker

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's definately high on the "cool" scale even if it is not high on the money list.

20. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's definately high on the "cool" scale even if it is not high on the money list.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.