1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas water/weather/oil-proof the head of a stock

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, May 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

RE: 3200 Trap turning into Heavy Duck Gun (again)

Does anybody have any suggestions for xxxx-proofing the raw head of Wenig? Macon? hammer-fit replacement timber? I'm not concerned abt weather/waterproofing the action & locks, nor the slab, itself - just all the hidden spaces that can absorb & swell: the butt under the pad, draw-bolt hole and the head, itself, and all internal recoil shoulders.

A few coats of thinned shellac? marine varnish? white lead?

Bob

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A few coats of poly urethane, thin the first coat 50/50. HMB

3. 682LINY

682LINY Member

I have been using crazy glue,,,let it soak in and lite sand if needed

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>I have been using crazy glue,,,let it soak in and lite sand if needed </i>

Interesting idea. Just drop-at-a-time? or do you know of a Crazy/Super Glue that has a retarded 'working' time where it can be brushed into complex surfaces?

Bob

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

<i>A few coats of poly urethane, thin the first coat 50/50. HMB </i>

Do you heat the raw wood first? either hair-dryer or heat-gun (or let it sun-soak a few hrs) first?

I know when I have been working shellac into 19th and 18th century stuff, heat sure seems to increase absorption.

Bob

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If the wood is raw you won't have to do anything. Just brush on a light coat and let it soak in. HMB

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Nah, Thompson's water-seal is not it. It's a bunch of UV inhibitors in a light petroleum carrier.

Harry ... I called Jamestown Distributors to ask about a Polyurethane Spar Varnish - 'spar' because flexibility is important in a stock - and the gentleman who listened to my needs assessment happened to be a waterfowl hunter, and especially seaduck. He gave up on wood a generation ago and now shoots only plastic, and he said what I was wanting to do sounded like a lot of work.

But he also said, they had a couple of products that would do exactly what I (you) wanted, but I should talk to Pettit and get their tekkie's opinion as to exactly which.

Two Pettit tekkies later ... Pettit Z Spar Captain's EZ Care No. 1016. It is not a Spar Varnish, <i>per se</i>, although it has alkalyd and urethane resins, tung oil, etc. common to all the good 'long oil' varnishes, as it is designed to soak into the wood and not weather and wear as a varnish topcoat that penetrates a little: think swim platforms.

And, the thinner costs more than the gloop does.

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.