1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas to promote trapshooting at a club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Al391brown, May 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Al391brown

Al391brown Member

I belong to a fairly decent club with 5 trap houses and other shooting facilities,rifle,pistol,etc. We are a non profit members only club with close to a thousand members yet have approximately a dozen or so trapshooters that shoot at our club only 2 days a week with one coin operated trap machine. From what I've learned, the coin operated machine is hardly ever used. Why and what can a member do to promote their sport of trapshooting and what could be the problem? I'm just a member, not a member of a board of directors, or a president. Why doesn't anyone want to shoot trap here? What's the problem?

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You might want to try having a club shoot (trap) and see if you can stir any interest ... There is obviously something missing or something that the trap shooters don't care for (like thats a rare thing) ... Where are you located, prices per round, etc ... Have a Friday night fun and games shoot with a steak dinner or fish fry for additional cost per person ... Ask some of the clubs in your area if you can promote your club and some events at their club for expanded coverage, let them do the same obviously ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Don't know what the problem is there, but I try to talk to people I don't know and offer assistance. I'll often score to get my eyes used to seeing targets and afterwords, when the scores are being reviewed, I'll say I'm willing to help anyone that wants some help. A few guys have taken me up on it. Simple things like moving the gun up into the shoulder pocket can make a big difference for brand new shooters. You can always talk about how they are shooting.

4. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Have an open house. Also suggest free memberships if you shoot a certain # of times per month. Either put up signs, or a bill board offering that your in the area. Call a radio station and ask if they would mention that the club has an open house on a certain date.

Have members at the club help guest shoot a few targets each using members guns. After you get new members it will be easier down the road to initiate a membership fee.

Ask current membership who do they know in radio, tv, the local newspaper that could promote your club. If they have a business, put up signs through out town.
    Good Luck,
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

5. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Create a website, list it on Clay Targets.Com and also post signs to your club where people traveling can notice as they travel to and from work . You`ll be surprised what people don`t know . Get members to bring new shooters to the club and be friendly with who shows up . Offer a shooting clinic or just have members give free advise like Joe does . A few tips to new shooters that have them break a few more birds than usual may bring in a new member or 2.

6. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Our club is very similar in size and makeup to yours. What I have found is that trap shooting drops off this time of year, because all the serious trap shooters are off shooting registered targets at other clubs. We do shoot games on Wednesday nights, and we have set up a 5 Stand course that has become popular. With the lack of disposable income and shortage of ammunition, we are just in a holding pattern at the moment. In the Fall we will have our meat shoots and then our Winter Trap League. It's amazing how things pick up when the weather turns bad. :) Mark

7. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob Member

My Club holds a trap "meat shoot" the 1st Sunday of each month. In my area their is a "meat trap shoot" almost EVERY SUNDAY. We hold an Intro to Trap Shooting Day twice each year. We just started an ATA program.

Our "meat trap shoots" score on Lewis class .... so new shooters have an equal chance to win along with the big guns. I make sure I give out a few $4 off coupons to those that need them.

Monthly shoot flyers are done early and sent to Members for posting on bulletin boards in the area.

Bob

8. perezal

perezal Member

Why don't you organize a trap shooting contest there. Make some fliers pass them out post some around the club. Maybe an add in the paper can be inexpensive. And also craigslist is free and lots of people use it.

9. zelmo96

zelmo96 Member

We shoot hunting style games after our thursday afternoon trap shooting. we also have a feed after shooting. We also have a green money bird that is for a free round if you hit it. Advertise for JR shooters. Give free instruction to all new shooters. 1/2 price shooting to JR's an attracter also. Get in touch with the local youth groups and set up a day or 2 for them. We have to promote our game if it is to survive. Al Baker

10. gordy h

gordy h Member

Try a FREE youth league, we give a free box of shells and a round of trap,
    for 8 weeks, all the kids 16 and under win a trophy.(old donated, with new name tags) The parents bring the kids and try it them selves. And soon join our league.

11. maltzahn

maltzahn Active Member

Trap will grow with organized events and competition. Just need a member voluneer to do the paper work, post results and send results to the local sports writer. Personally contact shooters local and from other clubs, organize and print a program, run the shoot with volunteers. Good management, opportunity to compete on a level playing field, consistantly be there on time every time, is all the incentive needed to grow. Soon the shooters will set aside the time and place. If they are pleased, they will tell friends and help the club grow the program. Its that simple.

Maltz

12. revbook

revbook Member

We held a "Clay Day" where we workrd with new shooters, gave them 2 rounds of skeet or trap and a hot dog lunch for $5. Also placed signs down at the entrance announcing our weekly open to the public practice. To tell the truth we got more bang for our buck with the signs. During public practice we will add a couple of green targets, if you break one you get a free round. In the past year we quadrupled our average attendance.

Don in PA

13. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The surest way to attract trap shooters is food, free food is even better. Try bringing a bag of fresh baked bagels and a pound of butter and cream cheese on Saturday or Sunday morning. HMB

14. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

A summer league can be very popular. I belong to a club in bay county mi that has a ten team league that shoots twice a month. this has created a fifty man base that shoots and practices quite a bit at several places around the area. Bill in mi

15. dhip

dhip Active Member

See Glen Rock Thread,personally I feel if more clubs did something like they are doing June 2,,it could bolster participation,Wouldn't have to do it at an ATA event either,just a nice get together once a year like what they have going would go a long way,,HEY OXFORD GUN CLUB,,are Ya listening?,and others of course.

Doug H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting promotion ideas