1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas on polishing homemade shot

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 1oz, Jul 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1oz

1oz Member

Would any of you people that make shot pass on some of your ideas on machines made or purchased on cleaning and polishing your homemade shot . If you like email above remove XXX's

jim

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Here's my polisher. It's an old cement mixer with the paddles removed. It will do about 400 lbs at a time.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://vidmg.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/v337/Jim45/Shot%20Maker/shotpolishing.flv"></embed>

Jim

3. new loader

new loader Member

Jim: I have tried doing that, but no real success. Maybe I use too much graphite, don't tumble long enough, I don't know. Aggravating as heck to know what it SHOULD be like, but unable to duplicate the results. Are you tumbling it dry or with some liquid?

4. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

The shot must be CLEAN & DRY. I put about 3 table spoons of graphite in 400 lbs of shot. Let it roll for about an hour or two. Comes out looking like store bought.

Jim

5. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You need a really little buffer and a lot of patients ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If I had a lot of patients I would be able to shoot factory shells all the time.

HM

7. trap41

trap41 TS Member

If I were not a patient with a lot of patience and shells, I would shoot all the time.

8. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

A little bit of graphite goes a long way. Like Jim101 said.... Make sure your shot is absolutely clean and dry with no oil residue on it from the coolant of you will have a mess on your hands. It (graphite) also seems to coat the inside of our mixer. We have put a batch in with no graphite and it picks some up off of the sides of the mixer. It is best if you can run it for at least an hour or so. We try to stage our stuff so that there is shot being sorted by size and shot being polished at the same time. When the shot in the polisher is done, we have enough shot sorted for the next load.

Jeff

9. scuba pete

scuba pete TS Member

i would like to know where to get the graphit?
    ?

10. new loader

new loader Member

Get graphite at John Deere store, Tractor Supply, just about anyplace that deals with farmers. Probably find it at Farm & Fleet.

11. flylta

flylta TS Member

Powdered graphit is available at almost any hardware store also. Not sure about those warehouse store but if you have an ACE Hardware or True Value around they'll have it.

12. guncase

guncase TS Member

I used a 35 gal barrel,, paper, put about 300# in it, a teaspoon of Graphite, fasten the lid and roll back & forth on the Garage floor for an hour.Came out looking good! Paul

13. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

rock and roll on the garage floor? that must be your workout for a week

the one thing that has always worried me about the idea of polishing shot is that you dont want to get that lead powder in the air or around your environment

Gene

14. Ellen

Ellen TS Member

My husband and I don't bother polishing our shot. The shotgun doesn't know the difference and the broken targets are complaining either.
    Ellen

15. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

babyspook when you wash with water the lead will ox or turn dark take i very small amount of oil of any type and get a light coat on it or the graphite will stop the ox by small i mean small 1/2 tea spoon to a gal of shot you can put in a vib type shell cleaner works good rick

16. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

The guys I know that make there shot use soap as the coolant, they say it is a little bit temp sinsitive. but it looks as good as store bought, and grey water is much less a hazard then oils!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

lead shot polisher

polishing home made shot