1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas on loading 7/8

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by woodie, Jul 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodie

woodie TS Member

I'm thinking of going down to 7/8 ounce loads for the summer. Is anyone using the Claybuster Lightning wad with either Titewad or 700x? Right now I'm loading 1 oz Windjammer II wads with Clays, a very nice load but with the constant price increase in components I would like to try to save a little more. Any recipes or ideas would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. harleypilot

harleypilot Member

I use claybuster wads and 700X to load 7/8 oz. loads for practice. They work great with a modified choke at 16 yards.

I use 1 1/8 oz. loads for registered shoots. Never can tell when those estra pellets may get you a bird you might have missed.

Jim

3. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Try your load, just drop to 7/8oz., same wad, I think you will like it. GOOD LUCK

4. avidtrapshooter

avidtrapshooter TS Member

we load 7/8 with claybuster wads and titewad powder and all we did was change the shot drop to 7/8, we initially increased the powder by a grain and a bit but we were gonna try to drop it back down and haven't had a FTF or our 1100 or 11-87 not cycle. so just do what shady creek said it works fine.

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

STS or old AAs (never tried new AAhs hulls), 16.5 to 17 grains of 700X or 17 grains of Clays, AA 12L gray wad or it's clone from CB, Winchester or Cheddite primer have all been dabbled with by me. As far as "more pellets" I use #9s and enjoy 512 of the little boogers; more than either 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz of 8s or 7 1/2s. These loads work famously on close birds from trap, skeet, or sporting, so far even close rabbits....breakemall....Bob Dodd

6. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

For the past three years I have used the same load as Harleypilot for skeet shooting and 16 yd trap. I only use 15 grains of 700X and it doesn't fail to cycle in my 1100's or 390's but I have started using O/U mostly. It has a very soft recoil and smokes the birds. Jackie B.

7. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

In the STS, AA and similar hulls the Clay Buster "Lightning" wad (CB4100) works well to take up the added space with 7/8 loads. Try 8-1/2s to fill out your pattern density. It is a farily good load. You won't need a lot of powder to push it. I used 16.5 of Red Dot or Promo and it zipped out pretty good at just over 1200 FPS. Very low recoil also.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've used the WAA12L wad in the Winchester and Remington hulls at about 1250 fps with 7/8 of #8 1/2 shot. That stuff really grinds the targets from the 16 for singles and it's great on the first shot of doubles at 1200. I like the 8 1/2s to get the pellet count up.

9. woodie

woodie TS Member

Thanks for all the replies, a lot of good ideas to think about. I am loading 8 1/2 shot right now. I'm shooting a newly acquired Super X1, when we put a barrel reader in it the choke showed .038, maybe the tightest choke I've shot. I thought if I dropped 7/8 oz in the Windjammer II that I would get caved in crimps, that was why I was thinking of changing wads.

10. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Rem STS hulls, 16 - 16.5 gr. Clays, Claybuster WSL (pink) wad, Win 209 primer, 7/8 oz. 8s - 8.5s - 9s. Fine from 16 yds. Best Regards, Ed

11. gcbluerock

gcbluerock Member

see PerazziBigBore's posts above!!! Here is a pic or two so you know what to look for. 7/8 oz in straight walled hulls (orange) 3/4 oz in tapered walled hulls (pink)

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

12. SONO MAN

SONO MAN TS Member

I use claybuster gray for 7/8 oz, fiocchi primers,gun club hulls and 17 grains of red dot. It works great. Peter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.