1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas needed for trap machine

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by mr.mark, Mar 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I live about an hour from nearest trap range and have been throwing targets at my house for practice from an old manually cocked, hand set machine. Was looking at one of the "do all areial assault auto trap machines" and thinking about building my own setup to make it rotate and throw right, left, and straight targets.

Anybody had any dealings with this machine or have any wonderful ideas on building a base to make it oscillate on its own?

Thanks in advance,
    Mr. Mark

2. traploader

traploader Member

I'd recommend you find yourself an old Winchester Western Electric Trap Model V1524 or V1579 as shown here? You can now update these machines to automatic to hold 270 targets with the TrapLoader 270 from Western Retro Products. They have rebuilt traps and new loaders in stock.

3. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Yes...I have an idea for you. I had a cousin who used a trap machine similar to yours and devised his own oscillating mechanism from a used wobble box taken from an old haybine/mower conditioner.

In case you don't know what a "wobble box" is.....it is a belt driven gearbox mechanism that drives the hay cutting knife back and forth. He mounted the thrower to a metal plate and attached an arm from the wobble box to the metal plate to control the oscillation forth and back. A small v-belt drom the wobble box to a slow speed electric motor maybe 1/4 hp did the trick.

He put some plywood in front of it with some metal posts and he had a reasonable facsimile of a traphouse. You could certainly get fancy if you wanted.

Really was simple, because my cousin was never too handy, so it couldn't have been much of a challenge to make.

If you are anywhere near northern Ohio, I'll give you a good box if you come and pick it up. (It weighs about 125 pounds) or just make a trip to a farm machinery junkyard.

Bob T

4. 27hotrod

27hotrod TS Member

Do-all sells an oscillator now.

5. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

Thanks guys, ordered the machine today, will begin work on a base to set it up on.

6. mr.mark

mr.mark Member

I checked do-all's website and they say their wobble isn't out yet. I didn't see an oscillator at all. Any info on this would help.

Thanks,
    Mr. Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

used trap machines for sale