1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas if your front bead falls off during shoot?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Jul 7, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    How many of you when shooting noticed that your front bead has fallen out of your gun? This scenario happened to me a couple times over the years. When this happens I felt like the poi did change.

I carry electrical tape in my bag for such occurrence's and wonder if this has ever happened to you? Any ideas what you could used in place of the standard bead until you can replace it with a new bead, or did you just leave it alone and continued shooting?

Did any of you notice a poi change when this happened too?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. 4th. down

4th. down Active Member

Yes, the gun will shoot higher.

Richard Faulds says you don't need a front bead. When you win the World's, I guess you can say those type of things.

3. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I have shot my best scores with no beads. I don't use them for anything.

4. Bueno

Bueno Member

No need no stinkin front bead!

5. senior smoke

Richard my record of tournament shooting showed that I was probably one of the worst shooters in the ATA years ago. Bead or no bead, nothing seemed to help.

Vic Reinder's even attempted to teach me how to shoot years ago and I even frustrated him, sorry to say. If someone does lose a front bead wonder what we could tape on our barrel for a temporary replacement as it bothers me and others to shoot without a front bead.
    Steve

6. Avatar

Those magnetic fiber optic beads are ideal to carry for a quick fix. Or, just ignore until you can replace. Beads are more for checking gun alignment than anything else.

7. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Well-Known Member

I wear bifocals and can't see the barrel or beads very good at all. I may not even notice that the bead was gone.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'd screw on a new bead and keep shooting.

9. senior smoke

It amazes me when shooters say they don't look at the barrel when they shoot. If some of you feel the beads are not necessary, why do gun manufacturers even put beads on a shotgun?

I understand the importance of the beads when mounting your shotgun, as you do not want to cant the gun, but years ago one of the all time greats Frank Little wrote that if you shoot without a front bead you can get sloppy in your pointing out targets.
    Steve

10. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Tis funny that you bring this subject up today. Because yesterday, that very same thing happened to me.

I had just started shooting handicap and had shot about 10 birds when I noticed that the white part of my front bead was gone.

I didn't worry to much about it, as it has happened before with a different gun and with much the same results.

I just kept shooting and my scores were about the same, so I can't blame in on the ivory bead being gone.

But I do like one to be on the barrel, so I will be replacing it this week.

Hauxfan!

11. NintyT

NintyT Member

My father taught me a trick years ago. He would find a toothpick, break off a short piece, round off the blunt end on pavement, and push the tapered end into the screw hole. Works good enuf to get thru the day. Steve j

12. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Steve, you don't understand what the purpose of the bead is in the first place.

The bead isn't a sight. It isn't there for you to look at or line up with the target. It is there for your eyes to "see" without being looked at, as you focus on the target. Even as your eyes focus on the target you will get feedback to your brain at the subliminal (subconscious) level about the position of your muzzle with respect to the target, from the bead. You are programming your brain with data about what the TARGET is doing by focusing on the target, and how your muzzle is moving to intercept by "seeing" the bead subliminally. The second you look back at the bead however you have broken the data link between your brain and the target and now you know what the bead is doing but not the target. "Lost". That's why you actually can, at least theoretically, shoot without a bead. It is merely a subliminal aid in knowing what your muzzle is doing. If you are faced with a choice between knowing what the target is doing (no bead) or knowing what the bead is doing (looking back at the bead and losing solid visual contact with the target) which do you think it would be better to lose sight of - the bead or the target? Unless you are one of those .001% shooters who can literally see both bead and target in focus, you can live without the bead if you lose it. It is still a distraction though because your brain has lost an information gathering device that it is programmed to use, so yes, there can be a negative impact from losing it.

13. Al391brown

Al391brown Member

Wire guy 100% correct!

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    senior smoke, quote: <i>"It amazes me when shooters say they don't look at the barrel when they shoot. If some of you feel the beads are not necessary, why do gun manufacturers even put beads on a shotgun?

I understand the importance of the beads when mounting your shotgun, as you do not want to cant the gun, but years ago one of the all time greats Frank Little wrote that if you shoot without a front bead you can get sloppy in your pointing out targets. Steve'</i>

Think of the money that could be saved by not putting ribs on P and K guns!

15. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I use a Uni-Dot hooded fiber optic front bead to help prevent occasional cross firing. When it fills up with rain water it turns a Phil Kiner black but still works. One time it fell off completely during a long yardage Handicap and my score was terrible after that. Two sided tape works great when you heat everything up with a hair dryer. The toothpick sounds like a good temporary fix.

16. senior smoke

NintyT:
    Good idea, will use that when or if it happens again.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Wireguy:
    That makes sense to me now.
    Thanks,
    Steve

17. joneseboy

joneseboy Member

My front and mid bead is black out with a black Sharpie pen now. I wish I have done this along time ago because it has increased my scores greatly.

18. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Well...... the first thing I'd do is cuss out shoot management. Then, I'd cuss out the ATA. After that, I'd blame Dr. Longshot. Mike

19. guthooked

guthooked Member

Get one of the magnetic beads. For emergencies

20. senior smoke

guthooked:
    I think that's a good idea.
    Steve

Joneseboy:
    That's something I might consider doing.
    Steve

Search tags for this page

faulds cross firing bead

richard faulds bead