1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for steel Patterning Plate?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 20yard, Dec 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 20yard

20yard TS Member

I just read Neil's excellent patterning article and his picture of the steel patterning plate raised the question. Guys at my club have asked about the steel plate option. Does anyone have background on how to go about building a good one? I've seen the plate at the Perazzi factory but no examples of something built for club use. Any Ideas?

2. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Some pictures and comments here: http://www.shootingbunker.com/patterning.html

- - Bill

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Coat the steel plate with anything that won't dry, white lithium grease, thinned with motor oil is good, one club used the old cooking oil with some white pastel powder added.
    One word of advice! Don't use a paint roller to redo between shots, it will splatter on you, use a toilet bowl brush with a long handle. BTDT

4. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I use this board at th MNPLS Gun Club. These imaages at shot pods hitting the board formm 13 yards. We do not grease the board. We put paper on the board when a pattern is to be hot. Thes shot are for POI andhorizonal shot evaluations
    [​IMG]

5. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

No to hijack the thread, but using the above photo, left to right, top, middle and then therbottom row, how would you assign percentages? 100%? 90/10?
    dju

6. JACK

David. This is one of my guns. Likely my MX3. I shoot 15 to 18" hgh (5 t0 6" at athis 13 yard distance. I shoot standing becasue it duplicates how I set up and shoot better than on a bench rest. In this case I have the majority of shots dead center horizontily and also at about 5-6". Thus, thsi becomes my sandrd to test other guns. I wil set u my MX15 to duplicate this sht pattern.

7. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

MIA:
    Would you call those patterns 100% high?
    dju

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Fifteen to eighteen inches high at 40 yards, david. More or less.

Neil

9. JACK

David. I am a big fan of the 13 yard POI testing for both vert and horizontal. Adn during the warmer weather I do this 3-4 times a month. I shoot off hand because I hold a steadier hand when shooting frm my feet. bench is more acccurate for most. But not in my case.

Too, I shoot 2 rear bead spaces between beads on my flat shooting MX3. I find it helps shooting handicap.

10. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

20yard, sink two 4X4s into the ground, lag bolt a steel plate, covering the wood completely, end of story. Don't get too involved in details. Two boards and a steel plate. I don't need to post a picture of the plate at our club, it is as I suggested.

11. shoot em all

shoot em all Member

The problem at a gun club would be one loose nut shoot some non lead shot and bounce them around. I used one forth inch plate at my house and it worked fine just heavy. Jim w

12. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Our club has a plate similar to MIA's. I use leftover christmas wrapping paper (whitish side out) and old wall paper when I can get it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.