1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for preventing car theft?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by skeet_man, May 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

According to a fellow club member, I have the dubious distinction of owning the current number one most frequency stolen car in america, in make model and year. My car is not particularly valuable, and it and most of the contents that i have in it at any time are insured (and everything of value is taken indoors at night), but my biggest fear is getting to a shoot somewhere, bedding down for the night, and waking up with no car in the parking space.

This has me more than a little concerned, esp after my car was broken into last year when my GPS was stolen (different car) when I was in Dallas.

Besides the obvious (vin etching, the club, ect), any other ideas? I have an idea for a very low tech but possibly very effective means to at least temporarily immobilize the car, but I'll keep that under my hat for now.

It seems that nothing by itself is completely foolproof, and no combination of anything will be 100% reliable, but a layered approach from many different angles is more the way to go, and if you can have time on your side as far as having many different obstacles for the thief to overcome (obviously not too many thiefs will spend 5 minutes trying to jack your car in the middle of a parking lot), you stand a better chance of it not disappearing.

2. unplugged

unplugged Active Member

It won't keep anyone from towing it, BUT if you hide an electrical switch that is in line with the fuel pump ( take the hot side from the fuse block for the fuel pump switch), it won't go far before someone is pushing!
    Just a thought.
    p.s.
    Don't forget to flip the switch BEFORE you try to start the car!!!!

3. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

My dad always said, "If they need it worse than I do, then they can have it".

4. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

The extra spark plug installed in the gas tank-will stop them fast--but maybe a solenoid that would lock your brakes--something similar to the old Hurst,line lock . Press down on your brake pedal, egage the line lock---the vehicle isn't going anywhere.

Phil Berkowitz

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Its a little trouble, but a under the hood battery disconnect switch will stop them. When you park, pop the hood, turn the knob on the dis connect and shut the hood.. the car is completely dead until you raise the hood and turn the knob again..

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

I have owned a couple of cars that were listed as the number 1 and 2 cars most stolen.

Professional car thieves will steal your car no matter what. The key is to have them "kill time" while trying to steal your car. No thief wants to be dickering with a vehicle out in public view. The more time it takes to steal your car, the more chance of someone seeing it and calling the cops or the thief getting nervouse and running away.

A good car alarm with a gas kill switch will ward off the non-pro thieves.

no car alarm will prevent a smash and grab....locking up your gps or other valuables in the glove box would help deter smash and grabs....taking down the suction cup of your gps unit will help deter thieves to move onto the next car......putting wheel locks on your wheels will help deter the non-pro thieves however a pro will just use a pnuematic cordless wrench to strip off your lugnuts and steal your nice wheels...

Vehicles with a lot of aftermarket accessories are more likely to be targeted than a plain jane vehicle without all the bling...

7. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

Trunk Monkey.

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They'll have fun with mine. It may start but won't go in gear no matter what you do unless the proper switch is thrown. Good luck finding it. Thats enough to get the idea.

Most modern vehicles can be interrupted at the brake switch which needs to be pressed to put it in gear. Without the switch thrown the vehicle does not get the message that the brake is pressed. Simple. Can still be towed but i haven't seen many Ghetto theives sporting a wrecker. YET

9. bsekf

bsekf Member

Simple sign in window. WARNING, HERPETOLOGIST, LIVE RATTLESNAKE INSIDE.

10. drh08

drh08 TS Member

I am going to suggest a psychologist, if you really live in this kind of worry all the time, you might wish to consider medications to help. Life is short, the sun comes up in the morning and even if someone took your car things continue.

11. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Tron - I second the Trunk Monkey idea. I was going to post the demo video but I cant find it on this computer.....my old hard drive crashed and I lost a lot of stuff....including the Trunk Monkey demo.

12. RLC323

RLC323 Member

The entire set of Trunkmonkey at the link. Bridge is still my favorite.

13. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Installed this battery disconnect switch on the wife's car. It was stolen stolen twice (by the same person in two years) but not since I installed this.

Simple but works. Don't know many thieves that want to rewire the electrical system to take a car. Way too much time involved.

It is hidden in plain sight with just the round black end showing,if you open the console and look real hard. You have to know what to look for. Is a bit of a pain but the car is there where we left it when we want it.

Rock

Jim

14. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Food wrappers, empty drink containers and trash strewn hap-hazardly around the interior of the car, a few used disposable diapers mixed in. Make sure that no surface is left uncovered with garbage, particularly the dash board, the more the better, a ragged pair of dice hanging from the rearview mirror adds to the atmosphere. Forget the car wash and windex, simply scrape the dirt and dead bugs off the windshield occasionally. Oh, and don't forget the obligatory Baby-on Board sign and perhaps a worn infant seat covered in pb and jelly.

Robert

15. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

96 Honda Accord

16. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Move out to Hicksville USA - GTA, car jackings , etc. don't occur out here. No problem leaving the vehilce unlocked and keys on the console. Downside is you might not be unable to afford your ride and would probably be bored silly with out having to keep an eye out for thugs.

17. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ian, I say keep it simple and in sight. Use the "club" across the wheel. In plain sight and just make the guy go to the next Honda down the line today. I assume you only need this at l or 2 big shoots a year, and your car has a alarm already. Just keep the club in the trunk until your next big shoot. Only takes a second to install and remove. You don't want the bad guys in your car to start with. Once in they break and damage your car even if they don't steal it. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

If my memory is still good I think that was a easy model for kids to steal and take for joyrides. Honda has since changed the wheel/lock/ignition combo to reduce this pratice. I got a old club around here if you need one (I think)

18. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

A pit or a rott in the back seat will work.

Don

19. BudsterXT

BudsterXT Member

above is a trunk monkey link for a video.

20. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

I had Lo Jack installed on the wifes new car. Ray

On my Harley I cut the coil wire in two and connected it to a switch which was hidden. Had to switch it on before it would start. I also installed a MILO alarm with a pager.

On my truck I had an alarm with ignition kill installed.

You hot wire my truck....put on the brake so you can put it in gear... and you just killed the engine. Simple. Ray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why would guy with windex try to steal car