1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for Goop removal

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by CalvinMD, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I was given a very nice target scope by my brother and it has a painted/powder coat/anodize type finish on its aluminum tube. It was put away I'm assuming with WD40 which has left a very tacky varnishy residue coating all over it...I've tried using more WD on a rag to dissolve it and it was a no-go..as was Goo-Gone, Oops, Alcohol and none have done much to even take any of it off...I'm apprehensive about what else to try that will work but not remove the finish...welcome to any ideas ...I have acetone free nail polish remover and also Spray Nine detergent cleaner and also some Hoppes #9 but am also concerned with anything possibly migrating through a seal and getting behind the glass....anybody else had this and successfully conquered the goop? Thanks in advance for any help

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It sounds like something attacked the paint on the aluminum tube, which means it not a matter of getting it off the finish, the finish itself is the problem and you probably will need to completely remove it - or live with it.

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Turpentine/paint thinner on a rag might do the job.

Eric

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I found that choke tube cleaner (spray) worked on adhesive residue that goo gone wouldn't remove. Maybe it would work maybe not.

5. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Try WD 40. It removed most sticky substances.

Make sure you then remove it with something like super slick slick stuff.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Thanks guys...tried the Spray Nine and it didnt work,..went to poking around in the garage and had a jug of Varsol..it took it off and didn't harm the finish but had to use a bunch of cotton patches because they became ineffective once loaded up with the gunk

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

FFR...if Varsol worked, mineral spirits or charcoal lighter fluid would have worked also.

Keller

8. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

The only thing that I found that would cut old WD 40 is Hyd. Peroxide. That tip way in a book from Brownells. Bob

9. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Why do I think WD-40 is vegetable oil based and is the cause of gumminess and rancid oders when used on items that are stored for long periods in confined areas, like tool boxes or cabinets. Peroxide would be first choice as smithy 47 suggested then Turpentine and Hoppe's

Surfer

10. Unknown1

WD-40 is... <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Nothing vegetable about it...which makes me wonder how an oxidizer (hydrogen peroxide) composed of only hydrogen and oxygen (essentially modified water) could have any effect at all on removing a petroleum residue?

Keller

11. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    There was a problem with some scopes a few years ago. The finish got "tackey" setting in the box. I'm sorry I don't remember the brand, but they did replace it with a new one. Might be worth a call.

Kevin

12. guthooked

guthooked Member

try denatured alcohol

John S

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

lighter fluid is NAPTHA.

14. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"There was a problem with some scopes a few years ago. The finish got "tackey" setting in the box."</I></blockquote>A quick session on Google shows that there were problems reported 2-3 years ago with BSA, Bushnell and Tasco scope finishes turning gummy.

Keller

15. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Keller,
    Why does WD-40 turn rancid if its petro based. What ingredient causes it to stink?

Surfer

16. Unknown1

Surfer...

I didn't invent the stuff, ya know...I'm just showing you what's in it.<UL><LI>64742-47-8...sweetened kerosene (stinky mercaptans/hydrogen sulfide removed) AKA "fuel, jet A1"<LI>64742-58-1...heat treated paraffin-based lubricating oil<LI>64742-53-6...transformer oil, napthenic, light lubricating<LI>64742-56-9...dewaxed light paraffinic solvent<LI>64742...dewaxed heavy paraffinic solvent<LI>LVP (low vapor pressure) hydrocarbon...doesn't evaporate easily<LI>non-hazardous ingredients...includes the surfactant that makes penetrating oils penetrate...probably something like DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide, no one's sure)...THAT stuff has an "aroma"!</ul>OK? No vegetable products included. Why does it smell? Best guess is that some of the ingredients evaporate over time and expose compounds that release an odor when exposed to oxygen. If you travel I-95 in New Jersey between Newark and Metuchen on a hot summer night when the refineries are going and the air is heavy, THAT might give you a clue!

Keller

17. rodney57104

rodney57104 Member

Try JB brand penetrating oil or sea foam brand carberator cleaner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.