1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for cleaning reclaimed shot?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Shootrman, Jun 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I have just acquired about 3 tons of reclaimed shot. I can clean it very well with a cement mixer but that isnt removing the fine stones. In my area of Pennsylvania we have shale. The only real sure fire methold I found was to wash it in a moving stream but them I loose a small portion in the creek bed but I'm not to keen on polluting. I have alot of people interested in buying it but I wouldnt feel comfortable unless I could remove that shale before I grafite it.
    Can anyone come up with a better and easier idea? Thanks in advance.

2. Palos shooter

Palos shooter Active Member

I have seen shot cleaned by using a garden leaf blower pointed into the cement mixer while the mixer is running.The shot being heavier stays in the mixer and the shale and the dirt will be blown away.It is a little messy if you have a lot of dirt mixed in with the shot.A squirt of Dextron transmission fluid before adding the graphite will let the graphite stick to the shot. when you get to that step.I would run a magnet to make sure that no steel shot or metal is mixed in with the shot..I have pulled out barb wire pieces and small nails mixed in the 55 gal barrels of shot from the reclaimer. Reclamed shot will also weigh a little light.With a MEC 11/8 bar I only get one ounce by weight.I still have to use a !1/8 wad because of the volume.Maybe it is because of the oxidation or the mixed sizes.

3. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Palos shooter; Excelent advice! Gave me a great idea and I will certainly come up with a leaf blower and give it a try. I currently try to sift as much dirt out of the shot as possible with a flour sifter before I put it in the mixer. I tumble it for quite awhile to shine it up before I add water to wash it.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

sent a pm useing shop vac

5. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

Rick1 Could you explain your methold in more detail? Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

what size magnet to remove steel shot for reclaimed