1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas about cross-fire blockers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cottondoctor, Jun 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Looking for your thoughts and ideas concerning the following, for the reduction or prevention of cross-firing. #1) the hacksaw blade looking blinder affixed to the side of the rib to prevent the off eye from engaging the front bead. #2) the stick-on L shaped blade that sticks on the rib behind the front bead – to prevent the off eye from seeing the bead. #3) the stick-on unit that has the glow-worm sight (changeable colors) on the front end and a tunnel on the back end to prevent the off eye from seeing the bead.
    Do you use either of these? Why? How do you like it? Pros and cons…..thanks in advance for your comments.

2. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

I've recently changed my opinion on this subject and I'm curious to see where this thread goes.

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

For me (as in me only) what I have found to work:

Easy-Hit target sight in conjunction with scotch tape across the entire top of the lens of the offending eye.

I have tried numerous gadgets and magic dots, but now use what I just mentioned.

You'll no doubt do something similar and find the system that will work for you.

None of this is very comfortable, but if you want to break more targets, it will have to be done.

Lastly....get yourself a Phil Kiner DVD and pay attention.

Curt

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Problem with 3 is that with the long tunnel you can't adjust your comb much or you lose it but that is the idea to get you looking down the rib I guess.

5. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

The 3 gadgets that you mention all serve the same purpose to obscure the off shoulder eye's view of the front bead. With any of these you should be able to hold a higher gun and use both eyes open. If these don't eliminate the crossfire problem, then you will have to block the offending eye's view by obscuring the lens with a tape patch or completely close the off eye as the final remedy. You will be a one eyed shooter for all practical purposes. I am able to get by so far with the Uni-Dot hooded fiber optic front bead in small 2 mm diameter. I had the stick on blade but it fell off in my soft gun case. I have the hack saw blade that attaches with small screws and it works with or without a fiber optic bead.

6. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Phdtrap.. I use the stick on blade that Meadow Industries has on both my single barrel and my O/U barrel. The problem with the hacksaw blade type is that it's attached to the side of your rib by drilling and tapping 2 holes and uses screws to keep it on. Looks like a bunch of space debris hanging off the end of your barrel to me. I have tried them all, and the Meadows Industries unit is the one I prefer. Does it work? Well, Phil Kiner once told me that it can't hurt, so why even take the chance of crossfiring? The other advantage to the stick on unit is you can transfer it from gun to gun by merely buying new tape... Just my experience.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

7. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

__I have tried pretty much any type of cross blocker made. None of them worked for me. They just acted like a magnet to grab my left eye. I have to use the tape on top of my left lens. Works great for me...Worth a try--might work for you....

8. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Rastoff - what was your opinion? - what is your opinion now?

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I like to shoot with both eyes open, I shoot right handed and use a little training exercise to help prevent cross firing. I shoot from station #3 with the machine locked on straight aways. I shoot the first 4 shots with my left eye closed, the 5th shot with both eyes open. Shots 6,7 and 8 with left eye closed and shots 9 and 10 with both eyes open. Shots 11 and 12 with left eye closed and shots 13, 14 and 15 with both eyes open. Shot 16 with left eye closed and shots 17 thru 25 with both eyes open. This exercise helps train your brain to use the right eye and reduce the chance of cross firing,without having to use any of those devices designed to prevent cross firing. HMB

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I've talked with Phil Kiner by phone about crossfire blockers and he's told me, in essence, that the problem is NOT that the off eye sees the bead... the problem is that the off eye sees the target. Figure a way to block the view of the target and bead blockers won't be necessary.

MK

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Phil has a rib blinder on his gun and so does Kay Ohye. Phil says the blinder is the first resort and closing the off eye completely is the last resort and you should do whatever it takes to fix the problem.

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

PhDTrap;

#1, did not work for me, might for some others

#2, same as above

#3, same as above

#4, not mentioned; magic dot, or tape. Same as above

#5, close the off eye; yes, this works very well. Ask Nora Ross and many other All-Americans.

Wayne

13. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I know who you are and you know me so this is not really a smart a&* response to you but as a fun note to those who gave REALLY good advise.
    I have my wife hit me with a skillet on the left side to stop seeing enogh out of that eye to cause a cross fire. This is not hard to get her to do as I am leaving for the weekend and spending money!

Works every time!

14. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    A Uni-Dot stopped my crossfiring, and allowed me to have full 3D vision.

15. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

"I have my wife hit me with a skillet on the left side to stop seeing enogh out of that eye to cause a cross fire. This is not hard to get her to do as I am leaving for the weekend and spending money!"

That's priceless!

16. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If indeed you are crossfiring, try thse two simple changes.

1) On singles, lower your gun to just above the roof of the house. Adn then when the bird shows itself, WAIT till it is above your bbl. Then usually you will go to the target using your dominant eye.

2) on handicap, put your bead on the front edge of the roof and make one move to the target when the bird emerges.

No sight blinder needed fo reither fix.

And 3) if you are still crossfire missing, try a release trigger. Often the gun will go off in the proximity of the target and break it even tho you are being affected by a crossfire for that target.

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

There are degrees of right/left eye dominance just as there are degrees of right/left hand dominance. The solution of cross firing depends on the degree of ones left eye dominance (right hand shooters). For me, tape on the left lens of my glasses is the best solution. I have a very strong dominant left eye. Shooters with a less dominant left eye can use other solutions.

I fail to understand how the partial loss of depth perception resulting from closing one eye is a problem. Depth perception does not seem to play a role in breaking targets. Also, when one eye is closed, depth perception is limited a bit, but it is not lost. You can perceive depth with only one eye. You can also look at a landscape painting and perceive depth when the painting does not have any depth. Three dimensional vision is not totally dependent on binocular vision.

Pat Ireland

18. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

As far as I'm concerned MK & Phil K. are correct, it's not the bead, it's the target. If your gun fits and you've mounted it correctly, the beads are useless and quite often a hindrance.

I don't believe it's possible for a mortal to look at, and analyze the spatial relationships of two things in two different planes at the same time. Unless of course you are one of those Chameleon lizards with the crazy unarticulated eyeballs.

When I shoot, I do not see the bead. I use the off-eye occlusion technique and keep both eyes wide open.

I also agree with Pat about the whole depth perception thing.

When I'm shooting really well my peripheral vision gets my body moving in the correct direction to intercept the target out in the field where my shooting eye is looking. Yes, even with the silly "patch" on my left eye. Sometimes I forget this and begin to micromanage my peripheral vision by focusing on where the target leaves the house. My periphery inevitably gets mad for the unnecessary scrutiny and sends a corrective signal to my miss the target synapse.

Those gadgets on the end of the barrel did nothing for me except distract my vision from where it needed to be--out in the kill zone and on the bird.

Everyone is different however; but maybe, not by that much...

Guy Babin

19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

If I shot as great as Kay, Deb Ohye and a host of other top All-Americans who believe that the sight blinder on the end of their barrels means something I'd feel free to comment negatively about their use. Since I usually don't, I opt to stick one on my rib anyway whether it helps or not!!

20. jimsw

jimsw Member

I've tried all of the cures. I have taken 2 Phil Kiner clinics where he confirmed my cross fire problem.

I am now using his last suggestion and it seems to be working. I painted my left lens flat black inside and out. (Phil had one of these at the clinic.) In addition I close my left eye.

Closing my left eye without blocking the lens didn't work because I would actually open my left eye and peek. I didn't think it was happening but Phil picked it up right away.

Cross firing can be controlled but you have to work at it and be willing to experiment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

why do i cross fire from post one in trap