1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideals on where to place handgun in a car?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by charlie01, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charlie01

charlie01 TS Member

Hey guys, Thinking about carrying a handgun in my car because I travel alot on the highways and back roads. Just interested in where is a good place in the vehicle other than a glove compartment a person could put this and possibly it be hid and well out of sight. Thought you guys might have some good ideals on this. If you don't feel comfortable posting here, you could pm me or send to my email. Thanks for your ideals! Charlie01

2. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Power seats often preclude placement beneath the seat. Mine is in the center console, and transporting a concealed loaded handgun in a vehicle is legal in Texas.

Be aware of the laws in your state and any state through which you travel lest you wind up afoul of the law. Seems like they're all different.

3. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I keep my Glock in the back of my SUV where I can't reach it while I'm driving. That's probably saved the lives of a few hundred drivers with cell phones.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Right next to your leg in the gap between the driver's seat and center console. The Seat belt latch lays right over the gun when you are out of the car. Works with or without a holster for everything up to full size revolvers.

100% Legal here without a CCW permit. Other states may require some sort of permitting.

If you have the gun anywhere else other than right next to you or on your person, you may as well not have it because odds are you won't be able to get to it in time to do any good.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Bettween the drivers seat and console. Ohio laws say it must be in a holster and on your person.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Mine is always in between my pants and my body on my right hip.

7. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

check with your state to see where you can carry your loaded handgun. In ohio a loaded weapon must be holstered and carried either openly or concealed on his person. A handgun may also be secured in a closed glove compartment,center console or a locked commerical gun case. A handgun hid under the seat will relieve you of a good amount of $$$$$. HENRY

8. plinker611

plinker611 Member

on your hip,mark

9. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Check your state laws. If it says "immediate possession" concerning the firearm location, that means it had better be attached to you some how.

AS lawyers love to talk, my permit states, "License to carry concealed pistol" and it has my name on it. My vehicle is not called by the name on the permit!

Now I am going to have to look up in the state laws where it talks about concealed weapons to find out how they think!

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

In Illinois, with a FOID, cased (rug, sock, etc.) and unloaded (speed loader and/or clip close-bye) is perfectly legal.

Jay

11. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

In Washington State it has to Be on you.
    Be advised, it you leave it in your car you can be liable
    If someone gets there Hands on it.Bill

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"Be advised, it you leave it in your car you can be liable If someone gets there Hands on it."</i>

And that's a steaming load of horsecrap to make someone liable for that because there are places the law specifies you cannot take the gun. It pisses me off when they set up a Catch-22 like that.

13. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

But true Buddy! But it is crap.......

14. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I just don't see how you could be made liable for something somebody does with your gun after breaking in to your car illegally to get it? If somebody steals your car and runs over somebody, your not responsable. Not say'n it isn't true just very confused on how that can be twisted to aim liability.

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Have a discrete hiding compartment put into the seat...sort of like a concealed carry briefcase. Velcro and OEM seatcover material ought to do it.

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I keep both of mine accessible to one hand each, unimpeded by seat belts or heavy clothing. Shoulder rigs and a few makeshift "seat" holsters have worked well.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In Wisconsin if you want to be legal it has to be in the trunk. Anything esle is considered "readily accessible" and therefore illegal.

HM

HM

18. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Many if not most states it is illegal to have a loaded handgun in your automobile

Many if not most states it is illegal to have a handgun(loaded or unloaded) within control of anyone in the vehicle ( and that doesnt mean within arms reach- courts have been much more generous in helping to prosecute this)

Some states if you even have a handgun in the trunk of a sedan- unloaded and in a case you are going to jail for several years (ex NJ)

Now certain permits may or may not mitigate the above. If you think they do miitgate the above, I would follow the permit exactly.

It isnt how you interpret the law( or your friends at the bar, anyone on here or even a lawyer)- it is how the policeman, the prosecutor and the Court interprets the law. Any of the 3 or all can cause you pain, suffering, loss of income, loss of job, loss of family, and jail time.

You better be right if you want a handgun in a car.

Regards from Iowa

Gene

19. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

In Maryland you can only transport an unloaded and holstered handgun to/from a gun range, while moving from one home to a new one, a gunshop, and some other very specific cases--unless you have a CCP.

Guy Babin

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Velcro it up on the dash. That way people see it and won't mess with you. Do not have to worry about conceal laws. Officer stops you for anything, all you say is "I have a gun in the vehicle , and it is right there on the dash". It also makes people think this guy is going to shoot my a$$ if I do anything to irritate him. Stops people from shooting at you before it happens. Discourages drive by shootings as well. Question; Where do you people drive that you have to have a loaded handgun on, or beside you? Seems a little paranoid to me. I am all for our right to "Keep and Bear Arms", but I think this behavior is more detrimental, than good for the law, and keeping those rights. Just my opinion. Jon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.