1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal quail gun?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by JGill517, Oct 23, 2016.

1. JGill517

JGill517 Member

I have been hunting quail over the last couple of years with a Browning O/U in 28 ga and 30" barrels. Been thinking about swapping for a 20ga with 28" barrels. Primary reason is availability of decent hunting loads and swinging better with the shorter bbls. I am sure this has been debated over and over but would be interested in any thoughts.

2. Dr Joe

Dr Joe Member

I shoot a Browning Feathet XS with 30" barrels in 28 gauge. A while back I thought the same thing and bought a 686 Beretta 20/28 combo with 28" barrels. I couldn't hit anything like I had. Sold it the next season. I'm sticking with 30" barrels.

dklees thanked this.
  3. JPM

JPM Active Member

My opinion is that what you've got is about as good as it gets. 28 ga ammo is more expensive than 20 ga but it is readily available if you plan ahead. JPM

4. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

I like 28 inch barrels on an o/u and my favorite ga. is 28 but 20 ga. is cheaper to shoot.

5. JGill517

JGill517 Member

I am thinking that the 28 might be the right answer. I really like the gun. I reload 28's on a Spolar but have never tried putting anything larger than #9 shot through it for 28 ga. I might buy a bag of 7 1/2's and see if it drops ok.

6. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Remington 1100 Lt 20 with a skeet barrel.

OldGoat and Chance McCall thanked this.
  7. jwheeler

jwheeler Member

I agree that the 28ga is a ballistically efficient cartridge and a great quail cartridge. My little Parker Reproduction is light and quick.

8. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Well-Known Member

The Gun in the avatar second from right is a Limited Edition Quail Unlimited 11-87 20ga. I bought it after going on a Quail hunt with my 1100 12ga Imp choke where I bagged three separate triples, but on that Quail hunt I felt like I was using a hammer on a fly. The effectiveness of 1 1/4oz and 7 1/2 shot is phenomenal but is to much sometimes for old Bobwhite. This is why picked up the 20ga it with 1oz of shot it works fine. Good Hunting

mxsst thanked this.
  9. mg1polo

mg1polo TS Supporters TS Supporters

1965 Browning Superposed 28ga, 26" barrels, choked tubes installed by briley.
    My go to small game gun. Hand load 28ga shells with 7 1/2 nickel plated shot, longshot powder
    in rem sts hulls.

10. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

I have a nice European SXS in 16 Ga. that I love to shoot but, when the chips are down and I'm out to put birds on the table ,it's my 20 Ga. lightweight Browning A-5 with 24 in. .010 Choke I grab! With 1 oz. loads That thing is a death ray on Bob Whites!

11. Cowboy Rick

Cowboy Rick Well-Known Member

I'll vote for the 28ga. And #8 or #8&1/2 shot. 28" or 30" tubes depending upon
    your size & strength.

12. Purdey16

Purdey16 Active Member

Ideal vs Best. "Ideal" quail killing machine imho is a Browning A-5 20 or 16 bore for harvesting the game, 5 shots and then whip another shell in lickity split. "Best" quail gun imho is a 20 or 28 bore English Side-lock with 28" barrels, nice and light and somehow add to the ambiance of the game. In my youth, the A-5 was the ticket. Now that I'm older, killing is less important and the pleasure of the dogs, great friends and svelt guns is what matters most to me. Nevertheless, I still consider a Browning automatic, a very fine gun.

13. poacherjoe

poacherjoe Well-Known Member

Remington wingmaster pump gun in 410!! You have to on target. Makes for some tall stories when you have a good day.

14. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Well-Known Member

Browning Double Auto Twelvette 26" or 28" bbl...perfect weight to carry and a natural pointing shotgun that is quick to the target.
    Doug

15. johannvdg

johannvdg Active Member

Having only shot released quail in the US, I may be completely of base here, but I used a 28ga Ruger Red Label and the 28ga seemed to be the perfect choice for these birds. As a matter of fact, those experiences are what finally swung me to buy a 28ga for me to use when hunting partridge and francolin over my dogs in South Africa, as well as being an effective gun for my son to cut his teeth on, the .410, a SbS with 65mm chambers, just seems so ineffective and I was worried that he will loose heart.

For our Common Quail in South Africa, that is a much smaller bird, that one almost always finds in singles or pairs, I still prefer the .410. The shots taken are invariably from 15 to 25 meters.

16. sktshtr25

sktshtr25 TS Member

The ol' reliable 1100 LW in 20 or 28 ga is hard the to beat. All I have ever used. Skeet or IC barrel.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I didn't know there were any wild Quail around anymore.......Please, enlighten me, where can I go for some decent wild Quail hunting?

18. SoTx

SoTx Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

My vote goes to the 20. I use a Beretta 686 in 20 ga. with 28" barrels and it's all you need- plus the ammo is easier to find and less expensive and you don't have to pick up hulls on the ground (doing that around here might get you snake bit).

19. Don-mx3

Don-mx3 Well-Known Member

Plenty of quail in the lower desert in California, this year. My quail gun of choice is 20 gauge Caeser Gureini Tempio light 28 inch, in the upper desert where climbing hills is common.. If in the flat lands, Imperial Valley, Caeser Guerini 20 gauge Essex 28 inch. Both guns are extremely reliable, take a variety of loads, swing beautifully.

shot410ga thanked this.
  20. Yoda117

Yoda117 Active Member

Been using a Webley & Scott 920K (26" bbls) with success for this. Nice, maneuverable in the brush, points well (and quick), and easily carried all day without fatigue.

Search tags for this page

winchester 101 quail special 410