1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideal BT-99 Trigger Pull?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by benedict1, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

I am shooting a 34" bbl BT-99 Golden Clays with a G Squared Shockmaster and am becoming very enamored with it. The trigger has zero creep but might be a little heavy, say around 6 #. I have a gunsmith who can make it whatever I want and smooth it with a little judicious honing.

Question: For singles and handicap with this gun what do you folks consider to be the ideal trigger pull? 6? 5.5? 5? 4.5? 4? or ??????

Thanks for your opinion,

Walter

2. Duck

Duck Member

Walt.

I've asked around and been told that 3# is ideal. That said I had a pull trigger act up and thought I would have it lightened after repair. It came back better then my rifle trigger's at 2#. I have no idea what I was doing before the trigger work, but after I would'nt even get to the target and I had already fired. I developed the yip's, flinch, etc. For me a light pull trigger was a problem!. I had it made heavier 4-4 1/2# took most of the league season to lose the flinch but I believe I have finally!.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

I've had a couple of gunsmiths tell me NOT to have it set to less than 3½-4 pounds. That's what I had all mine adjusted to.

MK

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I have my BT99 set at 3.5#. It fell like nothing when you are shooting.

5. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Leave it alone if it is working ok for you.

You are much better with a heavier trigger than a light one.

Duck if you have yours made a little heavier to about 5-5.25 pounds I bet your flinch will really go away.

6. benedict1

benedict1 TS Member

Phil

Thanks a lot. I am doing fine with it as is. It has no creep. A little polishing might make it a bit smoother but will wait on that also. Thanks all you guys for your input too. I sure agree that too light is not good.

Walter

7. Duck

Duck Member

Phil,

Thank You for the advice. I will definitely try it!.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Shotgun triggers are right out of the stoneage. Wouldn't it be nice to have an adjustable trigger on your shotgun, just like the triggers on a fine target rifle. HMB

9. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

hmb, you are right but a lot of trapshooters are also out of the stone age and have no business adjusting triggers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

bt 99 trigger pull weight