1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ID'd for shipping a gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by headhunter, May 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

ID

Wondering if anyone else has had their Firearms license checked to ship a gun at FedEX or anywhere else. The clerk asked to see my license to ship, even though it was being shipped to a obvious FFL dealer. This is the first time this has happened to me. She didn't take any information off my license, just wanted to see it. Is this a rule or was this just a clerk with a agenda? I don't know what she would of done if I wouldn't show it to her. Any info would be appreciated. By the way, I live in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts.... They aren't to crazy about guns here, well not as much as they used to be. About 225 years ago

2. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I thought California was bad. :)

We don't have Firearm License in California. We need to pass a "handgun safety test" to buy handguns, but no License.

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Shipped a shotgun FedEx Ground the other day... Went to a World Ship Center (major depot) the first clerk was an idiot and in no uncertain terms would not allow me to insure the firearm for more than $100.

Stepping outside, I called FedEx direct who in turn transferred me to the depot's supervisor - imagine her surprise when I had to explain I was calling from outside the front door!

She met me at the counter and handled my package personally... due to the amount of insurance, all she wanted to be assured it was not an antique and to check my packaging job. Other than that, nothing from me... I'm sure the other clerk was a bit PO by my insistence I was right! (lol)

Otherwise, FedEx has always been easy to work with...

Jay

4. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I had a USPS clerk refuse to take a gun for shipment without an FFL on the shipping end. It was going to an FFL.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When you ship a gun, have a copy of the Shipper's regs on you. You can get them from Joe Potosky's site. (losttarget.com)

I just had one say USPS will not ship long guns Priority any more because the Airlines did not want any "Dangerous" items on the plane. She did show me a copy of the memo. What's up with that? This adds 3-4 days to shipping time.

HM

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The shipper can impose whatever constraints they want.

On that no dangerous items on the airplane- that is an intersting issue-- the first issue is whether the firearm is in the category of dangerous item-

The second issue is that often people pay for express but the vast majority of shipments go by truck- just the way it is-- now their delivery is guranteed at express rate but it isnt guranteed that your package is going to get on an airplane of any sort

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

On several ocassions, I've had a UPS terminal call me because a customer was standing at the counter wanting to ship a gun to me. Their request was evidence that I was a licensed dealer. They gave me their FAX number and I sent them a copy. I would say that UPS showed very good customer service by making the call(on their dime) for the customers while they waited.

Doug

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

That's why they call them "clerks"

9. headhunter

I think they are just making it difficult. If the gun is going to a FFL.. why should they care who is sending it. Seems like they should have a clear policy. What happens when you ship to a gunsmith. I think some clerks take it on themselves without knowing the laws. If the FFL you are sending it to doesn't have the word "gun" in it's name, I'm not saying what's in the box.

10. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have offered to show a FFL but never had one requested at Fed-Ex. The Post Office has requested it at times but since they know me now,all is good. But then asking for $10,000-15,000 insurance I guess that maybe gives them a reason. The whole issue here is this---Are you treated courteously & knowledgeably?

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I think often the clerk doesn't know the regulations so they cover their a$$es by doing what provides the least cost to them of being wrong? One way they lose a customer.......the other way they lose their job??

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

F/U to my earlier post... had a hiccup on the delivery - FedEx driver never made a delivery attempt, but posted that the business was closed (saw the update within minutes and called the FFL to inquire), so I called FedEx 800 and complained...

Driver admitted he "accidentally" put in the wrong code... hmmmmmm... since drive was enroute back to the depot, the shotgun was expedited to the FFL the next morning!

Got watch 'em all!

regards,

Jay

13. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I ship and receive handguns and long guns all the time by USPS Priority. I have no problems as of yet. I ship from the most liberal city in the Midwest "Madison, Wisconsin"

14. melbournemike

melbournemike TS Member

You dont have to be an FFL Holder to ship you must be a FFL holder to receive !the clerk obviously was taken with you and just wanted your address!

15. headhunter

come to think of it... she did ask for a phone number. Maybe I should quit complaining and think this one thru. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.