1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Idaho State Shoot turnout

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by cubancigar2000, May 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Active Member

Was at the Boise Gun Club today and the State Shoot sure looked like a success to me. I doubt if there was room for one more motorhome or trailer. Nice to see!!
  2. Pocatello

Pocatello TS Member

Any updates?

I didn't get a program this year. That surprised me.
  3. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

With what you said and horrible weather I cant imagine good turn out. I know they were at least one shooter down because I stayed home where it was nice and dry. Cant wait for Utah's state shoot.
  4. cubancigar2000

With all the legal BS going on and the fact it was raining is why I was so surprised at the turn out. I went back at noon on friday and the weather was a lot better
  5. cubancigar2000

Bulley, are you going to have enough beer to make it down and to the Fork & back??
  6. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I shot the handicaps, and there were usually about 32 squads, despite the weather. It hailed very hard during part of yesterday's handicap but the squads pushed through it. I shot my best handicap score ever on Saturday evening, in the rain and wind and dark with poor, backlit target visibility - go figure? But they say even a broken clock is right twice a day ;^)
  7. Lyle

Lyle Member

I attended and my critique is as follows:

1. Weather was very poor except for the last day. Targets were amazingly good despite the very windy and rainy conditions.

2. There were some unused traps I believe due to wanting everyone to have a fair shake to shoot off the automatics. This made the shoot take a very long time to complete each day. Shoot offs were very late.

3. Food......big improvement over what was available in the past.

4. Score keepers. Community service group from a local private HS. I thought they were trained adequately and did a nice job.

5. No Calcutta........I enjoy the calcutta and not having one took a lot from the State Shoot in my opinion.

6. Vendors. Not many and no gunsmith on the grounds.

7. Attendance. Surprisingly good. I would not have attended if it was not in my back yard. The legal garbage has done nothing but split the ranks and that is nothing short of a shame. I'm sure those on both sides of this issue have their reasons for thinking how they do, however, in my opinion,the legal wrangling will do nothing for our sport in Idaho but drive more shooters away. I have considered shooting everywhere BUT ATA in Idaho because of it.

Lyle
  8. Pocatello

Pocatello TS Member

I hear you Lyle! I have not shot a registered target since August 2010, mainly because of all the crap, and I seldom even go out to my local club anymore. Life is too short to abuse people just because they tried to do what they thought best for the sport and everybody in it.
  9. Shawn

Shawn TS Member

So who did all the winning?
  10. ric3677

ric3677 Active Member

Lyle, that was just a breeze. We both know it can blow harder.

Nice seeing you there. Hope the shooting is getting on.

Hope to see you in MT.

Rick
  11. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Scores are posted.
  12. Jennifer

Jennifer Member

I too was let down on the vendors row, or lack of. That's part of the fun of a state shoot, to me. It's the most laid back state shoot I've ever been to, with no pictures taken when trophies are presented. I didn't get there very early because I only shot handicap on a later squad - did they play the national anthem or hold a Pledge of Allegiance each day? I would have expected that, esp. on Memorial Day weekend. But I also think the targets were as good as could be expected in foul weather, and the trap help did the best they could. I enjoyed myself and that's the whole purpose! I look forward to the next one regardless of the unfortunate politics surrounding it. Jennifer
  13. goose2

goose2 Active Member

I will not attend another Idaho state shoot until all the politics are straightened out. Just saying
  14. Shawn

Shawn TS Member

RickN
    Thanks for the scores.

Shawn
  15. Pocatello

Pocatello TS Member

Looking at the winners list, the only eastern Idaho name I see is Joe (Al) Hollifield. I suspect there were very few from eastern Idaho present. I also suspect that goose2 will be waiting a very long time.
  16. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

So - what's your political issue? This is a public forum and maybe some of the wise oldsters who read these threads could offer a solution based on experience rather than personalities.

Reading names on your shoot report I see there are several shooters who were at your shoot who have been through several "wars" before and should be capable of helping resolve any dispute.
  17. Pocatello

Pocatello TS Member

This is my take on the issues - other versions may vary.

For a number of years the Idaho ATA State Shoot was on a three-year geographic rotation - Boise, Lewiston, Pocatello. Lewiston was forced out of their location adjacent to the airport sometime around 2008, and the last I knew still hasn't come up with a new facility. At the 2009 State Shoot, held in Pocatello, some eastern shooters introduced without advanced notice at the annual ISTA meeting a proposed revision to the ISTA constitution and bylaws. Among other changes proposed was a revision to the composition of the ISTA Board of Directors. The existing composition was four Directors from north Idaho, two from SW Idaho, and two from south central/SE Idaho. As was pointed out in the discussion, this distribution reflected fairly accurately both the distribution of ATA shooters in Idaho and the numbers of ATA targets shot by those shooters. The proposed change would have three Directors chosen from each region. After hours of heated discussion, between two events at the State Shoot, the proposal was tabled until the next year at Boise. At the 2010 State Shoot at Boise a revision of proposal along with other proposals were brought up again. One of the new items discussed was whether to hold the 2011 Idaho State Shoot at Walla Walla WA, as many of the northern shooters desired. Walla Walla is less than 100 miles from Lewiston, about 250 from Boise, and a little under 500 from Pocatello. Those last two distances are very comparable to the distances to Lewiston from Boise and Pocatello respectively, although the driving times would be shorter to Walla Walla because much more of the drive is interstate highway. I and many others argued strongly that the Idaho State Shoot should remain in Idaho, not held in Washington. In the end a motion was made to amend the current ISTA constitution to mandate staying in Idaho. The motion had a large majority vote for it, but fell less than five votes short of the required two-thirds majority necessary for a constitutional change. The meeting adjourned without further major changes, leaving the decision on where to hold the 2011 Shoot to be resolved by the ISTA Board. At the Board meeting the next morning, I, as a member from eastern Idaho, made a motion to hold the 2011 State Shoot in Boise, and the 2012 Shoot in Pocatello as scheduled. My stated intention in making the motion was to give Lewiston some breathing room to get a new facility up and running, so that the rotation would hopefully be back in place by 2014. The motion was seconded, and I insisted on a roll-call vote so that every Director would be on record. The motion passed unanimously, and after other business was conducted, the meeting was adjourned. Very soon after the meeting the other Director from SE Idaho told members from my region that I had sold them out over her objections, and I was cursed and threatened by several people I had thought were friends.

Several of the hotheads, including this other Director, threatened lawsuits. Their argument was that the State Shoot should be rotated between facilities big enough to hold it, i.e. Pocatello and Boise, and the northern shooters should just suck it up. At a fall meeting of the ISTA Directors, this other Director was a no-show, and the decision to hold the 2011 Shoot in Boise was reaffirmed. As spring rolled around there was more talk of lawsuits, and a proposal for a new State organization was floated by the easterners. A couple of weeks before the Shoot I decided I had had enough, resigned my position on the ISTA Board, and went to a dog trial with my Chesapeake instead of the Shoot.

The following is hearsay since I was not present. I was told that at the 2011 State meeting the easterners proposed to replace the ISTA with their new organization, a 3/3/3 split on its Directors, and a Pocatello/Boise rotation for the State Shoot. I heard that the proposal was resoundingly defeated, whereupon the proposers walked out of the meeting. Then there was a motion made to make Boise the permanent home of the Idaho State ATA Shoot, and that proposal passed. The 2012 Shoot was held last weekend in Boise, not Pocatello.

As to a possibility of a reconciliation, I doubt it will happen. I've pretty much stopped trap shooting, even though I am a life member of both the ATA and the Pocatello Trap Club.
  18. goose2

goose2 Active Member

I guess you mite say I am in it for the long hall and the sound of things there are several others that feel the same way. I hope they get it fixed soon as it is quite obvious there are hundreds and hundreds of people pissed. They can blame the weather for the drop in shooters and that could be but we all know the real reason.
  19. Lyle

Lyle Member

Pocatello,

Good to hear your story. I have always thought that you have had a very good head on your shoulders. Interesting how you described "she" and "hot head" and I can easily figure out who you are talking about.

I hope to see you at some shoots in the future and you can still count on me in the "friend" column.

LB
  20. wolfram

wolfram Active Member

Sorry to hear about the turf war going on up there, I guess we all know who pays for it - the shooters.

This a familure story to me and I do know of a decent solution which bypasses a lot of the BS and provides the shooters with more and generally better options. We found it with PITA. Sometimes a clean break fixes things better than a half baked attempt at mending fences. The shooters really don't care what the initials are - they just want to shoot at nice places that don't have a bunch of BS politics playing into the game.

In general I don't have much use for organizations that are tightly controlled by some highly regulated board of directors (technically I am one of them). The important thing is that you have the energy and desire to put your talents to work in making your own club a place people want to go to and that you limit your support of other clubs to shooting at them and supplying advice only when asked.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.