1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Idaho sheriff denies 'SSS' raffle aims for wolves

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Jim R, Nov 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim R

Jim R Ljutic Nut TS Supporters

Idaho sheriff denies

A northern Idaho sheriff says he is not advocating the illegal shooting of federally protected wolves by offering a hunting rifle and a shovel as the prize in a raffle called ".308 SSS Wolf Pack Raffle" in a region where SSS commonly stands for "shoot, shovel and shut up."

Idaho County Sheriff Doug Giddings says the SSS in the raffle stands for "safety, security and survival."

"We knew that this would stir up some interest," Giddings told the Lewiston Tribune.

The newspaper reports that the SSS in the wolf-shooting context often appears in the area on bumper stickers.

Raffle tickets went on sale Friday for $1 each, or 11 for $10. The prize is a Winchester .308-caliber Model 70 Featherweight rifle and a shovel. The drawing is planned for March 8.

Giddings said money from the raffle will go to a food bank, alcohol and drug awareness programs, and local school equipment fundraisers.

"No, we're not advocating shooting wolves," Giddings said. "Safety, security and survival, that's kind of an Idaho County thing. That's who we are. It's to get people's attention. It means something to us up here."

Dave Cadwallader, Clearwater Region manager for the Idaho Department of Fish and Game, said the raffle is an indication of how frustrated people are over wolves and the loss of state management of the animals.

A federal judge in Montana in August ruled it was improper of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to retain federal wolf management in Wyoming while turning wolf management over to state governments in Idaho and Montana. In response, the agency took back authority over wolf management in Idaho and Montana, angering state officials and blocking wolf hunts that had been scheduled for this fall.

Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter pushed for an agreement with Fish and Wildlife to allow a wolf hunting season. When that failed, Otter in October ordered Idaho wildlife managers to relinquish their duty to arrest poachers or to even investigate when wolves are killed illegally.

Otter rejected the wolf management Idaho has conducted for years as the federal government's "designated agent" after wolves were returned to Endangered Species Act protections.

The move means Idaho Department of Fish and Game managers no longer perform statewide monitoring for wolves, conduct investigations into illegal killings, provide law enforcement when wolves are poached or participate in a program that responds to livestock depredations.

Giddings told the newspaper he strongly supports Otter's move.

Cadwallader said that evidence of wolf poaching in the region is turned over to federal authorities.

"We are a state of law abiding citizens," Cadwallader said. "We are frustrated, beyond frustrated, but we have to follow the rule of law."

More than 1,700 wolves now inhabit Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, Washington and Oregon.

___
    Information from: Lewiston Tribune, http://www.lmtribune.com

2. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Since the Feds did it to the sportman,then left the states hanging, it only fair we return the favor! triple s is the only way things are going to get back to a balance! and order!

If you have not seen the difference in game animals in your favorite spots, where wolves have reappeared, your blind as a bat!

Only in the USA does stupidity get a free pass(wolf replanting)and credibility is given to people with diplomas!!

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Good for the Idaho governor. The feds can stick it.

4. timberfaller

Can anyone remember the days when Game Wardens used to shoot Hawks?

I do, they did it because the Hawks were killing to many "game" birds

hint: 60's early 70's

SO what happened, Hawks got protected and game birds disappeared! So much for manageing wildlife!!

5. timberfaller

Can anyone remember the days when Game Wardens used to shoot Hawks?

I do, they did it because the Hawks were killing to many "game" birds

hint: 60's early 70's

SO what happened, Hawks got protected and game birds disappeared! So much for manageing wildlife!!

6. STOS

STOS Member

Another good reason to live in the great red state of Idaho.

7. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I would like to buy a ticket for this raffle.

8. Michael Gregory

Michael Gregory Member

Kommiefornia, but North Idaho soon... REALLY!
    I looked it up. Here is a link to buy raffle tickets... Click above. Mike

9. ROGER A.

ROGER A. TS Member

Here in S.E. Idaho it's S.S. = shoot and shut up, no shovelin just get the hell out of the area. If alot of you folks lived here you would understand the problem with the wolf and what they have done to Idaho's elk herds.

Alot more i would like to say...BUT........

10. timberfaller

I understand all to well, the whitetail in the northeast corner of WA bordering Idaho are half of what they were from the 08 season!!!

Mt. lion population exploded also, what did our state do after the sportsman complained, they cut the season in half! So much for managing wildlife!

11. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Mike, thanks for the help, I'm on it.

12. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

it's obvious that D.N.R. thinks like the idiots in Washington. all wildlife thats manage has a healthier population. There's nothing to keep wolf packs in check other than starvation and disease, it be wiser to keep them under some control, then to let them be out of control. Wildlife management will show up when all other game is depleted and whats left has to be put on the endanger list. and the problem is not just out West, it's everywhere they brought back small packs of wolves, to see how they would do, and there population is exploding.

13. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

I inletted the brass plaque into the stock here in my shop and when the deputy picked up the gun up we talked about the SSS. He said with a smile, if a person has to ask they don't need to know. A nice gun and for a great cause. It is nice to know that there are places left like Idaho County.
    Carey, in Idaho

14. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

More info...

The drawing will be held March 8th, 2011 at noon in Grangeville, ID

Here's how to order tickets by mail...

Send a request with your:
    Name:
    Address:
    Phone number:

Number of tickets requested:

$1.00 - 1 ticket

$10.00 - 11 tickets

$100.00 - 110 tickets

Please enclose a check/money order made out to:
    Idaho County Sheriff's Raffle

Mail to:
    Idaho County Sheriff's Office

Attention: Raffle

320 West Main Street

Grangeville, Idaho 83530

We will process your tickets and mail you your stubs.

I'm going to buy a few. My wife wore out her shovel and I can always find something to do with a good rifle.

sissy

15. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Sad state of affairs when we have emotion based laws that make criminals out of good people. Idaho does a good job of taking care of itself, hope they never become California-ized.

16. Recoil Sissy

timberfaller:

I'll defer to those that are knowledgable AND affected by wolves to speak about the wisdom of restocking, how restocked populations are managed - including by whom, and federal protection, if any.

OTOH, I'm happy to see hawks and other raptors protected. In my part of the world you'd have played hell finding one to shoot during most of the 60's and early 70's. Chlorinated hydrocarbons nearly wiped them out. Since DDT was banned (a very good idea by the way) hawks, eagles, falcons, etc. have made a big come back.

FWIW, the diet of raptors consists mostly of rodents and other pest species. As much as I enjoy hunting, the limited number of game birds taken by raptors is a small price to pay.

sissy

17. timberfaller

Recoil:

Thats Great, But I've witnessed what I have seen, Increased Raptor's decreased game birds. I understand "diets" but when your hungery you will eat what is available.

Wolf's show up, game disappears. All this is not rocket science.

As for DDT, I can introduce you to a gentleman who was in and around the fight to ban it. He was totally apposed to its ban, based on science that proved the opposite of what the news media at that time was propagandizeing.

There has to be "balance" and when you throw that balance off because of "protection" you wind up destorying other things. Prime example: Barred Owl vs Spotted Owl. Scientist said the logger was responsable for there drop in numbers, so we stopped the loggers, TIME HAS PASTED, OH big mistake! we now know that it was the Barred Owl killing the Spotted Owl all along, The BO was protecting its space from the SO!!

18. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Cripes, many of us stated way back when the Spotted Owl crap first got started that Spotted Owls preferred old growth because Barred Owls did not like old growth, and that Barred Owls eat Spotted Owls. We got laughed at.

19. Recoil Sissy

timberfaller:

I'm as well versed on barred owls vs. spotted owls as I am about wolves. For all I know, they ALL taste like chicken So as previously noted, I'll leave those discussions to people with expertise and skin in the game.

As for chlorinated hydrocarbons, (ch) there were a number in common use back in the day. DDT, chlordane, and heptachlor to name a few. All of them are toxic. Many are carncinogins. Their molecular bonds are VERY stable so they biodegrade VERY slowly. Unfortunately, some biodegrade into other toxic compounds.

CH's accumulate in body fat. All the while it's doing toxic mischief. Testicular cancer is one charming example. And, ch's get progressively more concentrated as one moves up the food chain.

It works like this... a little fish eats invertebrates containing ch. Over time a bigger fish eats a bunch of these little fish. The ch's in each of the little fish accumulate in the fat of the one bigger fish. The bigger fish is in turn eaten by something. Maybe it's a larger fish. Maybe it's an osprey. Maybe it's you. Regardless, all the accumulated ch's in the lower steps migrate up the food chain creating damage as it goes.

A well documented effect of accumulated ch's in raptors was the thinning of their egg shells. Shells were often so thin virtually all broke before they could hatch. No chicks - no adult birds.

The opinion of the media - propaganda or otherwise - matters not. The chemistry of ch's and the biological mischief they cause is well documented.

I read and heard arguments 'back when' against a total ban on the use of ch's including DDT. They tended to be arguments for delayed implementation and/or limited/targeted use rather than an attempt at justifying long term or wide spread continued use. Since the worst actors were banned in the 80's, perhaps your friend has some really good arguments for overturning the ban.

I'm not interested in an introduction but I'm always interested in learning something new. Please feel to post your friend's best arguments for whatever commercial use of ch's he thinks is wise. While you're at it, please include his credentials so we know he isn't a former DDT salesman or some such nonsense.

Thanks in advance.

sissy

20. timberfaller

Thats OK he'd make you look stupid anyway. Like I said he was in the middle of it back in the day, Hes in his 80's now, he fought the good fight and seen the writing on the wall, he just laugh about it now.

The problem with todays society is once its been duped, you can talk until your blue in the face and you can't change peoples preceived notions.

The media to some of us doesn't matter, thats true, but to a lot of people its their source of knowledge.

He was no salesman, his last years of work were for the feds, trapping bugs, his nickname is "the bug man"

He reminds me of the "under seige" movies, when the bad guys ask who is he, the response was "Oh, he's just the cook"

Besides, this thread is or was about SSS and wolves.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.