1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I'd like adjustable everything please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pointer, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pointer

Pointer TS Member

Jan 29, 1998

I’ve noticed most manufactures are starting to include adjustable ribs (adjust POI) and adjustable comb’s. Are these two features not intended for the exact same purpose…to adjust POI? Yes you can cast a comb, but do you need the ability to adjust POI at both ends of the stick……? Now I guess if you like a low or high comb, you can now keep it where you like and move POI at the rib though you could also adjust your head position with an adjustable pad..I just find it interesting for guns that have both, and what would you adjust first..My gun is fixed comb and rib. I found lifting my head brings the POI up just fine ? Don’t take me to school I’m kidding

I just like to open conversation to people who know this stuff…………..always a good read. Why both adjustable rib and comb on most new guns now? Did we ask for that ?
  2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
    Yes we did. We asked for guns we can adjust to fit us instead of having to adjust ourselves to fit the guns and an adjustable stock is a requirement for that to happen. It also aids as another POI adjustment for those who must have their precious figure-8 sight picture, as they can play with both adjustments until they find the perfect setup that combines the right POI with their preferred sight picture. Of course, if the gun is a combo, changing barrels throws all that experimentation out the window.

I prefer to use the comb to adjust the POI of the non-adjustable barrel of a combo and then adjust the adjustable barrel's rib until it shoots to the same POI as the non-adjustable barrel. Otherwise, you have to readjust the rib each tie you change barrels.

3. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Adjustable combs were originally devised as part a "try stock" used by gun companies when fitting a new customers stock. Somewhere along the line they started showing up on guns who's stocks didn't fit their owners.

An adjustable comb is an easy low cost solution allowing proper height and left right eye alingment on an i'll fitting stock. It was also discovered an adjustable comb could be raised high enough to influence higher poi's without bending the barrel to raise poi's or re-ribbing the gun. The problem for many but not all is the gap created between the front and mid bead when the comb is raised higher. This gap and the ability to fine tune the poi brought adjustable ribs into play, along with ribs came adjustable recoil pads for up down left right adjustments and in some cases in out for lop.

If you have ever had the opportunity to view Phil Kiner's video or take one of his clinics, he will prove to you without a doubt a comb adjustment as little as 1/16" will influence you poi in a major way.

People think their bodies are static never changing, when in fact they're constantly changing. Many times you'll hear someone say I'm the same weight and size I was in high school, this may be so, but most often everything has been redistributed changing how the gun fits this person present day.

How often have you heard, all of a sudden, I can't hit anything, I can't figure it out... More often than not, this person has either grown or shrunk out of their gun and has no way of correcting it unless he or she has the adjustments to do so.

Phil Kiner's oppinion is every trap gun should have an adjustable comb and I agree.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.