1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ID help needed on this Rem 870

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brdslayr, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brdslayr

brdslayr Well-Known Member

I've got this Remington 870. My dad had Stan Baker do some work to it. Barrel has Baker choke marked .715. Barrel is 27in long. Interested in year and value. JW

2. brdslayr

I thought it was strange that the barrel was marked with the serial number.

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

The Magums first came out in 1955. There was an 870AP, Standard grade, and an 870ADL, Deluxe grade. The Standard had a fluted forearm, and the Deluxe had better wood and a finger groove forearm.

Those numbers on the barrel are not Remington stamps. Baker probably put them on either on his own, or at your Dad's request.

If the barrel was not opened up a 0.715 gives you a light modified, or Improved cylinder. Look for the barrel date code, left side of barrel close to the reciever, or you can call Remington with the numbers and they can tell you year it was made. If the BB is the date code, it's a Jan. 1955. The date code is usually real close to the reciever, and sometimes very hard to see.

Wayne

4. brdslayr

Call Remington on the serial number and they said it was from 1956. Here's a picture of the forend. The checkering is cut. On the buttstock, the checkering is pressed. Probably swapped at one time or another. So is this a deluxe? JW

5. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'd put the value at $250. The Stan Baker work is not a value-added item, and the mismatched wood detracts from it. A magnum receiver helps a little.

6. brdslayr

Sold. JW

7. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

brdslayr: The very early 870s did have the bbls & receivers with matching #s, I had 2 of them with the checkering pattern shown on your forearm one was a field grade and the other was a TB. They were both "slicker" than the later ones I have had. I think they must have been "tuned" a little at the factory on the early production. Also the breach bolt & bbl locking lug were not pinned together. Ross Puls

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.