1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ice Storm

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by thespan, Dec 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thespan

thespan TS Member

KC suburbs here!

No ice yet, but forecasters are holding their breath for Tuesday.

Good luck, stay warm, be safe!

Peter Greenspan

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Got plenty of ice here in the Warrensburg area. No power outages as yet, But i'm sure it's comming.

Jim

3. shotgunfun

shotgunfun TS Member

We had some ice/sleet yesterday and then this morning it rained, turned immediately to ice for about 10 minutes and that has been it. We were very lucky, but the roads are bad in the area we are in. We live in the country, and our road is pretty nasty. Thinking of you all and hoping your power stays on and you don't have too much damage.

Lorna

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Sorry to hear Ed, I predicted it would go north of you but, heck, wrong again. Sounds like you're holding your own though....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. duh

duh TS Member

North border of Bonne Femme Creek - all ice - dogs are sliding on the drive way coming up to the house - I started to go down on foot and was too slick - dogs stayed in most of the day so have I - 4000 home reportedly at one time without electricity in Ashland - electric coop has hard cold job - radar looks worse south - hope the 1100 stock I bought gets here - then need to look for someone - hopefully local to finish and checker - roads slick - told 4 wheel drive low to get to 63 - cheers - duh

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

We are getting a light rain right now. Weather guy said it's 32 degrees, I'm sure it will be a mess tomorrow.

Looks to be another day of staying indoors. I'm running out of stuff to tinker with.

Jim

7. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

keep it down there we don't need it in southeast iowa.hope you all stay safe,warm and dry. jack

8. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Kansas is getting nailed pretty well inalot of areas! Central part, been raining since 5:00 pm yesterday and hasn't let up. Freezing on the trees somewhat, and definetly on the ground and payment,

9. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

I'm staying north of Peoria about 45 minutes right on the river and we are having a hell of an ice storm right now. I hope it stops before it gets too heavy for the utilities and trees. There are scattered outages and limbs down and this is just the beginning of it I have heard on the news. Hope it warms up. Dan

10. merlynstrapguns

merlynstrapguns Well-Known Member

It's supposed to warm up this evening to 50 degrees, but it is still 34 as we speak. More on the way i'm told to add to the 1/2 inch already on the wires/limbs.
    Ed, if you want to gather limbs, com'on down. I live in the woods you know.
    Denny, I heard your computer is coal-powered, now that you are a Missourian, and not affected by a power outage.
    Lorna, our roads are fine, that is, the ones without trees across them. LOL
    The electric has been out in some places since Sunday morning and more forcasted.
    Might be a long winter..........merlyn.......

11. Hipshot 3

Hipshot 3 TS Member

Bitch,Bitch,Bitch! You guys don't know what an ice strom is unless you own an outhouse in Alaska! Geez!

12. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I'm sure all the quail are dead in SE Nebraska.

13. jim brown

jim brown Well-Known Member

Doug,

I don't think we had any up here anyway but if we did they will be gone if the ice doesn't go off in a couple of days.

jim brown

14. EXFDX

EXFDX Member

Back in February of '93 (okay, maybe '94), we had a heck of an ice storm here in the Memphis, Mid-South area, and I can sure empathize with you all. We were lucky - we were without power for only four days. Many people were without power for weeks, especially down in north Mississippi. MILES of those large, metal power towers were twisted down under the weight of the ice down there.

It was so dark out on our street, I was walking the dog and walked straight into a downed tree I simply could not see. All day and night, you would hear a very loud "CRACK"! Then you would hope and pray it wasn't coming through your roof. Limbs on top would break off, and shear off everything below them as they fell to the ground. People actually died in their homes - believe it or not - by burning charcoal or gas BBQ grills for heat or trying to cook with them inside without any ventilation at all.

It was a frightening mess. People pulled off the Interstates, out of gas, and could not get any: No juice to run the pumps! Obviously nowhere to stay, either. People all over the place just stranded in their cars.

God bless and keep you all. I wish you the best and a very speedy recovery. I hope this isn't just an introduction to a winter yet to come.

Steve Oehmen

15. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

just got a call from home electricity is out ice everywhere in se iowa dwain

16. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Ice never bothers me in high school I was so kool they called me the ICE MAN at least in my mind and dreams. It does look cold out side even here in Florida.

<a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

17. Sgt. Mike

Sgt. Mike TS Member

In the Macon, Bevier area we, meaning us, have not lost power. We had some ice then some snow. Tonight we are supposed to have more snow.

A few years back on February 1, we had an ice storm that kept the power down just a few hours shy of a week. When people say, "it sounds like a war zone", I believe that's an accurate description.

During the ice storm we made a list of things we needed and had on hand and a list of things we needed and did not have on hand. After the storm was over we went to the store and stocked up on what we used and purchased the items on the list that we wish we had. One item was a generator. We had an electrician do the hook up so we don't hurt anyone down the line. Being prepared does help. Michael and Jane

18. jackmitch

jackmitch TS Member

we were without power from 7:am tuesday to 10:pm last night. wednesday morning when we got up it was 46degrees in the house. wednesday evening after my father-in-laws funeral i went over to my neighbors who's tree caused my outage and asked if i could run a drop cord from his house to mine to run my furnace and he said yes so we at least had heat.it took 8 hours to warm the house back up. lost a freezer full of food. got cable and internet hooked back up this afternoon. we are lucky to have good friends and neighbors.jackmitch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.