1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ice Fishing Graph

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by loophole, Dec 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. loophole

loophole TS Member

Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations for an ice fishing graph?
    Ted Schoenke
    tschoenke@lakefield.net

2. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

A blonde wanted to go ice fishing. She'd seen many books on the subject, and finally getting all the necessary tools together, she made for the ice.

After positioning her comfy footstool, she started to make a circular cut in the ice. Suddenly, from the sky, a voice boomed,

'THERE ARE NO FISH UNDER THE ICE.'

Startled, the blonde moved further down the ice, poured a thermos of cappuccino, and began to cut yet another hole. Again from the heavens the voice bellowed,

The blonde, now worried, moved away, clear down to the opposite end of the ice. She set up her stool once more and tried again to cut her hole. The voice came once more,

She stopped, looked skyward, and said, 'IS THAT YOU LORD?'

The voice replied,

'NO, THIS IS THE MANAGER OF THE HOCKEY RINK'

Jerbear

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

What is an ice fishing graph? HMB

4. DJM

DJM Member

Ted - Very few Minnesota Ice Fisherman use graphs. I believe the LED's do not work well in the cold. Almost all use a "Flasher" style depth sounder with the color option. These are the ones that have a spinning dial with a flash at 0 and another flash at the lake bottom indicating the depth. Any flash between is a fish or weeds. The color and width of the flash can tell you a little about the size of the fish. Vexilar has the bulk of the market with their FL-8 and FL_18 models. Another company, Marcum also makes good units. They package these into a unit made for ice fishing with a battery and a floating transducer. Don Miller

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Jerber= funny

Gene

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

A flasher is what you're looking for. A graph is a LCD. The Lcd can be used, but once you get to 20 degrees or colder it will not work.

I've had a few different flashers and have tried out a few others. I started with the Vexilar FL-8. I used it many years until a friend let me use his FL-18. The FL-18 had much crisper colors (3) and you could also zoom the bottom 6 feet.

I was about set to buy one until another fella let me try a Marcum flasher during an ice fishing contest. I liked this one.

Ice fishing can be a social venture outdoors much like trapshooting. Where guys fishing in boats tend to fish AWAY from each other, ice fisherman will fish in a community. This is where the marcum out-shined the Vexilars.

Though most all of the flashing units have ways to eliminate interference from other flashers, the Marcum has more power to just blow by the Vexilars. The FL-8 was the weakest, then the FL-18. The Marcum I picked up last year...Marcum LX-5 Ice System worked the best. It also has the zoom feature, but it can zoom anywhere in the water column, and it has two different transducer degree angles. Wide angle for shallow water and a narrower beam for deep.

Here it is...

http://www.marcumtech.com/products/product_detail.php?ProdSKU=10800&ProdCat1=1

If you're choosing any of them (Vexilar or Marcum)just for ice fishing, get the ice fishing package. They'll include everything you'll possibly need, including the battery and charger.

The Vexilar FL-18 I used belongs to a friend of mine and he loves it. I like it too, but just decided to bump up to a little more features. Here is this unit....

http://www.vexilar.com/pages/products/products_fl-18_pp.html

I use my unit for fishing from 6ft crappies to 80-100 ft lake trout. I'd probably give up ice fishing if I didn't have at least one of these units.

Doug Braker (Northern MN)

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

This place is also a big help in making a desision on flasher units. All different models have been field tested.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=74.0

Be safe and good luck,

Doug

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

After fishing with the fl-18 for 3 years I too would give it up if I had to fish {naked}.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

home made ice fishing graph

ice fishing graphs