1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ice auger suggestions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Sprinklerman, Dec 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sprinklerman

Sprinklerman Member

I am in the market for a different power ice auger. I have a jiffy that brakes down alot. Any suggestions on what to buy. Mark Mauch

2. Hilltop

Hilltop Member

When I had a shop that was the brand to sell. They were the best. Jiffy has a new one out runs on propane. Pricey but what isnt. I would take a look at it.

Al Brackett in the UP of Mi.

3. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Go with a strike master electric. Will drill holes all day, plenty of power, onboard battery. No gas to mess with always starts. Trust me

4. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Make sure you burn premium in your gassers, I like electric also.

5. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Premium fuel does not automatically mean it does not have ethanol in it. Inquire first.

6. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Dyn-O-Mite! Jimmy

7. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

The best thing would be a ticket to a warmer climate! Merry Christmas from warm sunny Flordia. Jake

8. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Don't know a thing about the augers just want to caution you on ice fishing. Go by the unwritten rules and don't fish alone and always have a plan if the unthinkable happens to one of you. I helped bury a good friend last spring when he broke one of those rules. Good luck fishing this season. Dan

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I had a Jiffy, thought it was the cats a**. Then I got an electric and would never go back

10. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

I have been using Strike Master augers for 10+ yrs.
    For the money they put a Jiffy to shame, and I have had both brands.

11. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

No one ever drowned through the ice with a life jacket on. I have one of those vest style ones with cool pockets so I don't look like a total nerd.

12. ORG

ORG Member

Get an Ice Gator. Go to icegator.com and look at their product. It's a 24 volt electric WITH reverse. I had a Strikemaster for 20 years, and it ran great. Then bought the ice gator 4 years ago and it's the best. The reverse lets you push all the ice chips down under the ice, a feature other electrics don't have. In a fish house, no fumes, and you don't spend all your time scooping out the ice chips. I ice fish quite a bit, and I'm still on the first set of batteries.

13. apmech23

apmech23 TS Member

I bought a Jiffy Propane Auger last season, love it, always starts on the first pull, even at 20 below, can drill a ton of holes with a single one pounder, only went through 2 bottles last year and i fish every weekend, very happy with it!

14. gaustin

gaustin Member

I here a lot of good reviews on the propane models, personally I have not had the pleasure to run one yet. What I can give an honest opinion about are the StrikeMaster Augers. The new Solo engines on them are the best on the market for 1st pull start-up's to the sheer power of ripping through 26" of ice. My Lazer Pro has 2 full ice seasons under it and never once failed me. I run Opti-II one mix in my fuel and have yet to change the spark plug. We cut a lot of holes in a day so the electric are out of the question.....Gregg

15. loop02

loop02 Member

I don't know how much ice you drill, but on Lake Erie, we get 10-12". I saw a guy with a hand auger converted to use a battery drill. I thought it was a joke. He dropped a hole in the ice in about 30 seconds. I borrowed it, and drilled some for a test. I have one now.

16. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I have an Eskimo gas auger and have had good luck with it. Make sure you use treated fuel in it. Bad gas seems to be the main problem with them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.