1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I would like your your thoughts on this

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ridge Runner, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner TS Member

This morning we had a registered shoot at Our little four trap club. I signed up and paid for the singles and Handicap. It was threatening rain all morning, but we got the singles in without rain. It started to rain before the first Handicap squad was called. I decided that I didn't want to get wet. I am a Sr. Vet and well over 80 years old. When they called the first squads one of my sqaud mates asked if I was ready to shoot. I told him that I was not going to shoot. He asked if I had paid and I told him yes. I told him that I was not going to ask for a refund, because not shooting was my desicion that the club could use the money. I got the feeling from him, that i owed it to the rest of the squad that I should shoot. I did not want a refund and I feel that the rest of the squad could shoot without me. What is your thoughts?.

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

At your age, sir, do what you want. That's my opinion from behind this computer, or if i was on your squad. I also would have got your money back.

brett d.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

As far as handicap goes, I always liked a 4 man squad. 3 man isn't much good, and a 5 man when it's late in the day and you want to get home, are my third and second choices respectively. They always told me any time you're over 21, you ought to be able to do what you want. I admire your steadfastness.

Maybe the touchy-feely leftists would disagree with this. If they do, they can go p*ss up a rope.

4. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Sir,....at over 80 years young consider your "dues" paid. If the weather fizzled out and was going to be uncomfortable for you.....then it's time to scratch. It's a tribute to yourself that you enjoy the shooting sports. I wouldn't give it another thought if I were you. Keep up the good work and I hope you continue to shoot often!...........Sam Austin, Edinboro, Pa.

5. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Ridge Runner, you were 100% right and should not feel bad in the least. You are also generous to let the club keep your entry $$ - that is a gentleman's gesture. I agree with Tron, your squad-mates are 'way off base and, unfortunately, there are too many bull-headed types like this. You are a gentleman...we need more. Best Regards, Ed

6. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You did much more than most people would of done in leaving the club without asking for and getting a refund ... Looks like you need another squad to shoot with if these are the ones you usually shoot with ... I would of pulled out also ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

dont know what his expectation was- some people are just difficult

you can do whatever you want

regards

Gene

8. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I'll buy you a drink and be proud to hoist it in your honor anytime! Bill

9. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

Ridge Runner, I have to laugh at that name. Did you at one time in life do some moon shine running????? If you did good for you.

As for what you did. That was fine. At your age getting wet could cost you more then you want ot to. As for your friend trying to push you to the line, I would have told him where to go. He maybe young and able to fight off being sick but thats him and not you. As for the money you did a something YOU thought was right and it was no one elses business.

10. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity,..since you did not officially withdraw from the event and get your money,...can they register that as a 0/100...that would really kill the ol average

11. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I fail to see a problem, other than some trapshooters will complain about anything. You are simply being prudent with your health. Pneumonia almost killed me when I was 42.

12. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

I am Treasurer of my trap club. If this happened at my club, I would happily refund your money, and if you did not ask us for it, I would mail the check to you. It is your decision whether to shoot or not, and we don't question you about your reasons. We just say "Thanks for coming, and come see us again!"

Larry Ford
    Treasurer, Pocatello trap Club

13. ric3677

ric3677 Well-Known Member

Pocatello Idaho,

Great place to shoot with great people to shoot with. Great Falls has the same policy. You pull out before the event starts you get a refund. Plain and simple.

Rickyd......also a treasurer

14. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

I believe I was at the same club today shooting the program. I also think I know the gentleman who posted this question.

E....While you may have gotten the impression from one of the shooters that you were "duty bound" to shoot the handicap, I can say, it made no difference to the others on your squad...one of them being a close friend of mine who was on your squad as well.

I think one of the other club members...D.., wrongly suggested that you would forfeit your entry fee upon withdrawing according to ATA rules. He was absolutely WRONG...no question about it, after the handicap was over I went in the clubhouse and read the ATA rulebook with regard to entries. It specifically states that shoot management has the right to refund any entry. The event had not yet begun when you announced your intent to withdraw.

I pointed this error in interpretation to D, but I feel it fell on deaf ears. I stand behind your decision as it was pretty miserable out there in the handicap and you were straightforward about it.

I feel you should receive your refund straight out as others did as well. (4 or more shooters withdrew today) I will personally pursue this and advocate adherence to the rules as written in the rulebook. There were some other infractions today with regards to strict adherance to the rules and D should watch his step.

As you may know, my 2 girls shoot on the SCTP team there and without the support of loyal longstanding members of this club like yourself, we wouldn't have the opportunity to do so. I appreciate your involvement greatly and hope that you know this isn't the way most of us feel.

By the way, daughter Katherine (your scorer) says you should get your money back also. You are one of her favorite gentlemen shooters.

See you soon E.

Bob Ternes

15. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

CalvinMD:

I pulled out on a shoot once before after 25 shot's and they scored it as a 22 out of 100 it was raining also but that wasn't the reason I left it was because the score keeper scored me wrong as he did the rest of the squad and he changed all of the other scores he and might as well told me where to go because he said he wasn't changing mine I had only missed 2 and he had me as 3 down ok I was from out of town about 800 miles away but I figured if this was the start of things then no telling what the end results would be.
    Ok this wasn't a young kid puller it must had been a club member that didn't want to score it in the first place since it was cool and wet but he did have a nice golf cart with the enclosures and was hollering at some older guys to get out on the line and shoot they was pretty close to Ridge Runners age I bet.

I told the office that I was leaving and why,I had paid for 300 targets and shot only 25 of them I didn't ask for my over 70.00 back either but they turned it in as a 22 out of 100 instead.

Ridge Runner as you said it was at a small shoot and I used to be the treasure at our club years ago when we shot registered and I had given a lot of entry money back for the same reasons it is just the way it should be done because it will make the customer happy and im sure they will come and shoot again.

Ok I know most of the big shoots has it in the programs no refunds after it has been paid.

It was nice of you not requesting the money back but I would be just like pocatello said because a happy shooter is good advertising on getting a few more to come and shoot at the club.

Foghorn220

16. OhioBob

OhioBob TS Member

Foghorn...that club also erred as well in the reporting of your score. Even given the dispute, your recorded score sent to ATA should have been 22 of 25 as you only shot one sub-event.

The rulebook is VERY specific on this issue as well.

By the way...we are permitted to refund money back because the rules don't require us to keep it if the shooter withdraws from an event.

If a club chooses to REFUSE refunds of entries, then it must post the policy in the official program or a conspicuous place so that all shooters are aware of it.

17. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Foggy, dontcha hate it when the locals "handle" the out of towners? We had a drag strip here who did that. Always made sure the locals won no matter how ridiculous the excuse.

18. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

OhioBob:

I finally contacted the A.T.A. about the score after I found out that the 22 out of 100 brought my 95 average down to a 56% average for the year.
    So I emailed them and asked if I could shoot d class from now on since I had a 56 average, well I got an email back and said that they would correct the mistake it wasn't the A.T.A.'s fault it had to have been turned in that way.

zarathrusta

I really hated to scratch that day that was the first time ever in 25 years but it was my choice to not put up with the rude help the rest of the day as I said he was probably a club member but I don't have anyway to prove it all I know he had a bad attitude and shouldn't have been out there in the first place and hollering at the other squad members like your dad and ridge runner to hurry up and get on the line it waasn't like we had a bunch of squads waiting to shoot behind us.
    I felt bad on scratching but im sure I would had felt a lot badder if I stayed the whole day.

Foghorn220

19. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

For those who keep saying that the man has paid dues I disagree with the notion. The implacation being that he should have shot in the rain but that he has earned the right to not shoot in the rain. There is no shame in pulling out of a squad for any reason at any time. Your squad must be able to handle this type of distraction or they aren't going to get very far in the first place. It's like not getting to shoot on your favorite post. I like to start on 4 but that is my own mental weakness. I am not allowed to push that off on somebody else because they got squadded before me on Post 4. The 24 I shoot from post two starting point is mine and my job to own it. Not to imply that somebody else should have allowed me to shooot 4. I have pulled out for far less then weather and will do so again the next time the spirit moves me. I will do it without guilt as it is my time and my money.Jeff

20. Chris_H

Chris_H Member

I am 100% with Bob on this one and after he showed me the rule book today and got the rest of the story behind the bs that happened I'm sure those who deserve to get theirs will get it in time. I just hope you continue to come out to the club as much as you have in the past and don't let him bother you. Probably see ya Wednesday.

-Chris Hevener

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.