1. We have added the ability for anyone to 'bump' threads that they have created. This is mainly useful in the classifieds area where posters constantly bump for sale threads to bring it to the top. This allows them the ability to do that without having to clutter the thread with extra 'TTT' and 'Bump' type posts. To bump it, go inside your thread and click on 'Thread Tools' at the top, then select 'bump'. You can bump only once per 24 hour period.

For more detailed information please see this post: Thread Bump Functionality.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I would like to buy a 742 Remingon

Discussion in 'Want to Buy/Trade Threads' started by jamesf, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesf

jamesf TS Member

0   0   0

I would like to buy a clean 742 .308 Winchester in either ADL or BDL grade. The gun needs to be in excellant condition and needs to be in good working order.

Just private message me.

Jim

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

They get very poor reviews on here- lets see what comments you get

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Don't know much about the 742. I had a model 4 in 30-06 that I dearly loved, no problems whatsoever. Never seen another, mine was stolen and ended up somewhere in KY or TN.

4. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Buy some extra extractors for it, you'll need em.

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Jim, if I may, I'd like to through in my two cents...

The 742 has issues. You can no longer get parts, well, can't get most of the parts. Remington no longer services this model nor do they have parts. This gun was discontinued in 1979...34 yrs ago.

One of the problems with this model, as well as the older 740, is the locking bolt likes to flop around in the receiver while the action is opened during a shot. Because the locking bolt has several interupted lugs, these lugs beat the heck out of the guide rails in the receiver.

I've seen plenty also having bad chambers. The chambers are not the easiest area to clean. The average hunter does not remove the barrel to thoroughly scrub the chamber, so most end up being quite eroded over time, leading to extraction problems. I've seen some absolutely perfect looking guns, that would tear the rims off the brass because the chambers were bad.

I've got a Rem 742 in the shop right now (for the past year) that has the front of the locking bolt broke out. With this piece missing, the extractor is no longer supported, which then allows the extractor to slip off the rim of the cartridge during the shot.

I've been watching the gun auction sites for this part. In the past auctions, this locking bolt has been selling for $75-$100 (labor not included). I've told the customer its not practical to spend that kind of money on a gun that has the potential to have other problems. He would be way further ahead to part the gun out on ebay, and put the money towards a Rem 7400, if he wishes to stay with a semi-auto. I've seen nice wood sets going for $150 plus.

Now, if you're looking to add to a collection, that's a different avenue. I would just suggest not finding one if your plans are on using it as a primary hunting gun.

Doug

6. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

0   0   0

Rotten, jambing, stove piping rifle. Sold mine about 25 years ago. Bill Malcolm

7. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

0   0   0

I agree 100% with GunDr above. The 740 was replaced by the 742 which was replaced by the model 4 and 7400 which has since been replaced by some newer number. I have had several and it is impossible to get parts. They either work fine or not at all. I have had several 7400's (or model 4) and the shells would stick in the barrel or jerk the edge of the brass off and stick. I had 2 brand new 7400's and one worked fine and one would jam every shot. No longer have any of them. I liked them if you had one that worked. The 7600 pump is easier to work with.

8. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

Buy a Browning

9. RLC323

RLC323 Member

0   0   0

Gun Dr. Doug,

Is there any difference in reliability between the long action 742 and the short action models?

I have a 742 in .243 and have had no trouble with it over the years, although it has probably had less than 40 rounds total through it.

I bought it for coyote hunting back in the '80's. Since then our tactics have evolved and most of the coyotes around here are killed with shotguns.

10. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

0   0   0

I have one in 30/06 with the basket weave checkering, monte carlo stock. Never had an issue (fired about 50 rnds}.

Pm me if interested.

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0

I think what they are saying is if there isn't another firearm in the world available you might want to try the 742

Its like the Franchi 2005 and the Ithaca model 51 with the lifetime warranty

Surprisingly we haven't had all the posters that a "good" gunsmith can make you any part-- the bit they don't mention is that part might cost you 200 bucks plus another 100 for fitting

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. NJCOP

NJCOP TS Member

0   0   0

Have one in 308. I have never had an issue with it. Like any other semi-auto its got to be kept clean and well lubricated and CLEANED after every use. AR's are stove piping junk if they aren't kept clean and somewhat wet. Garand actions, well that's another creature.

In all honesty, I buy a Rem 760 or 7600. Like the 870, if you can pump it it will fire. And they are pretty darn accurate. Timney now makes a trigger fix for either which is there biggest sticking point.

Want a dependable 308. Buy a M1A Socom or a Rem R25 (DPMS LR308). You'll need a muzzle break with the later one and a BIG POCKET OF MONEY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.