1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I wish this was a joke but it isn't --

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chango2, Jun 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Unfortunately, we reap what we sow. Think about how animals have been treated in many instances. I'm hardly not anti-hunting, varminting, or fishing, or any of that, but animals have, in too many instances, been treated inhumanely. And don't tell me it's ok 'cause animals are not human. Just feel like ranting, I am not a crazy "animal rights person", but love animals and see the love given to gun dogs etc., household pets, etc. On an open range, while varminting, (I've observed) cattle and calves by economic necessity, left to suffer all manner of cruel deaths. So...we reap what we sow. Sometimes we reap crazy laws.

2. bocephus

bocephus Member

Please give us the whole story, I find it hard to believe it would be economical for a rancher to let his animals that he raises to die a horrible death.

3. larryjk

larryjk Member

Chango2, bocephus has called you out and I also want you to explain what you saw ;ie, "all manner of cattle and calves left to suffer all manner of cruel deaths." Unless you tell us, my comment is "Bulls--t".

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I watched a show called 30days, was about vegans vs a hunter. They try to enlighten each other....well they focused on the factory cattle farms, what they did show was a bit disturbing, I know I do not really understand the details of getting mass amounts of product ready for the public. I did not really envision what they showed. We live in a crazy world. For now we are the dominate self indulgent species. Ready to consume what we want when we want.

5. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Rabchers leave cattle to suffer and die like farmers intentionally kill their crop or workers burn their money. That guy has never set foot on a ranch.

I want to see pictures. The ranch I hunt has had cows die. They do that when they get old or sick, but intentionally cause them to die. No way.

Mike

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Sorry not to have explained; the rancher that I spoke to explains that he sadly comes upon calves that are too weak to defend selves and are killed by crows. The crows pick at the weak calf's eyes. (often a newborn) This is just an example. The rancher likes us to shoot varmints on his land to help prevent cattle loss due to broken legs from misstepping into squirrel holes. We shoot lots of ground squirrels, a gopher like animal.

Sometimes cattle die slowly from broken legs, etc. Of course this is not intentional, but the rancher can't, although he wishes he could, always be there to tend his herd. Sorry for the post if I offended anybody; that was not the point; the point was that, IMO, animals are often times treated poorly and therefore, it gives grist to the mill for those that overreact, such as PETA. Now I'm gonna fire up the bbq and have that t-bone.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

plenty of laws...........lack of enforcement..........and a major lack of punishment.

8. SARGE75X

SARGE75X Member

First off I am a hunter and a fisherman but I can remember vividly being at Ft Hood, Tx which was called "open range" almost the entire 69,000 square acres. I was an MP so I patrolled these areas. Cattle wandered into the impact areas got shot, hit with mortors, artillery etc. The cattleman's assoc would round them up from time to time and if it walked under it's own power into the truck it went to the slaughter house.

9. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

Chango2, you must be a real sucker to buy that crow story. Crows don't attack calves, but black headed vultures might if the calf was very weak. Turkey vultures wait for death, but the black ones sometimes try to speed things along. In any case it wouldn't matter though because the momma cow would protect her calf from nearly anything.

Test this for yourself- the next time you see a newborn calf, just run right up to it and start playing with it. Once momma cow gets through with you, you'll never do anything that stupid again.

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The only cattle I'm ware of in Oregon that were killed from animal cruelty were shot by a rancher's neighbor when they strayed onto his land. And the liberal doctor that shot them wound up with a felony conviction.

11. laura!

laura! Member

I'm surprised noone is questioning the accuracy of this supposed Swiss law. I can find quite a number of references to the law on the computer, but not a single one from what I would consider a reliable source. It may be true, but I can't tell. Whether true or not, it is quite funny considering the fact that the Swiss have come under heavy criticism for selling cat fur products. Evidently there aren't many stray cats wandering around their country.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Cat fur products?

13. laura!

laura! Member

Evidently there're people in Europe who believe that cat fur can help cure rheumatism. They use cat pelts to make sweaters, coats & blankets. Go figure.

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Need to check stuff on Snopes.com. The rancher was in Bakersfield area; I don't think he'd feed me "BS", but maybe he meant vulchures. He and I got along, friend and I cleaned his very dirty .222. We even made him up some new rounds...so...oh well, maybe he was pulling the chains of we "city boys"...now I wish to know more!!

15. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

Just remember, life is hard living it is even harder and you can't fix stupid.

Ronbo

16. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Sure stupid can be fixed. It's called edukashun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.