1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I will Never shop at Bass Pro Shops again.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TrapCrazy, Oct 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

Well all I can say is kudos to Al and Anthony of Long Lane Acres Sporting Arms in Ottsville, PA. I live in philadelphia area and was driving to Pittsburgh to see the steeler game. I had about $300 in credit for BPS so I thought I would buy a I Brand New Taurus Judge from Bass Pro Shops in Harrisburg. Upon initial inspection the gun seemed fine. They wouldn't let me remove the trigger lock until I left the store. Not thinking much about it because it was new I didn't mind. Well when I got to my hotel in PGH I looked over the gun and it would not cycle. (yes the integral lock was unlocked) I immediately called BPS and told them that the firearm was defective. They said just bring it in whenever. Well I told them that I live in PHL and I wouldn't be able to just bring it in without having to travel 100 miles and pay a toll. I asked if they could provide me with a shipping label to send it back. They said they wouldn;t be able too and I was on my own. I said this gun is 2 hours old and does not work. Upon getting home I looked at it some more and discovered tha the gun had millings and burrs all through the interior. I called BPS back and got the run around again several times untill I called corporate customer service. three days later the firearms manager told me they would send me a shipping label to have it sent back to the store and they would ship it to taurus for repair. He then stated I would have to return to the store to pick it up. I said will I be compensated for coming to pick it up. He said no. I said well that is pretty unreasonable because it will cost me $65 in gas and tolls and 5 hours of my time. I said all I want is my expenses even if you refund $65 to my credit card or in credit. They said no way. Well I was really pissed about it because this was a brand new item that I paid retail for. You would think they could offer me about 15% off the purchase for my hassel. I was talking to guys I trap shoot with from a local gun store that I buy my supplies and a couple of guns from this year and they said they would take care of it and not worry about it. That's what a local gun shop does for you. As for BPS I am going to send them a message stating that because it was too much of a inconvienence for them to help out a customer a local small business from where I didn't even purchase the gun from is going to handle it for me free of charge.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I understand your discontent of Bass Pro but what about the craftmanship of the gun that came from Taurus. Would you not jump their a$$ for shooty quality control as well??---Matt

3. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

So where IS BPS's main office anyway? Bejing?

4. grntitan

Springfield Missouri if i'm not mistaken.

5. J.Woolsey

J.Woolsey Member

I would try contacting Taurus directly. Explain the situation. Ruger was more than happy to send me a shipping container for a defective pistol and shipped it back to me when the necessary fix was completed. I paid shipping one way and no charge on the fix or return shipping. J.Woolsey

6. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

I'm convinced that the Taurus line, at least as far as the lower end revolvers goes, has slipped too far in quality. We've sent a 22 mag back twice and haven't even sold it once yet. Won't lock up. We just sent back a 608 which had headspace set so tight it would not turn. I've spent inordinate amounts of time removing lead from Judges, which should be called "lawyers" for all the trouble they cause.

The Judge....sloppy lockwork. Oversize cylinder throats, measuring about .462-.463 on the samples I've checked, ten to twelve thousandths over what a 45 Colt should have.

I was a Taurus fan for a long while but only have two now...a Tracker 17 and one of the little pocket 22s that the kids like to shoot.

We've got a Raging Bull in the showcase now that was made when they gave a care....tight, smooth, lockup like an old Python.....but the new stuff just doesn't cut it.

I don't think they ever intended for the Judge to shoot ball ammo.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Well, I'd be talking to the manufacturer. As far as Bass Pro, I don't buy much from them, but they are not the worst. Yes their customer service isn't the best. Service in the store is pretty poor if you are waiting at the "gun" counter. Gander Mountain has lost me for life. They have prices on the shelves that do not jive with what the item rings up for. I could excuse one or two, but I had 17 items and EVERY ONE rang up higher than what was posted on the shelf. I took the store manager around and he saw the prices. VERY reluctanly, they made the price adjustments. It wasn't small change either. It was almost a third higher. It happened at several stores over a long enough period of time for me to believe it's a standard practice.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Buying a Taurus was your first mistake.

9. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I can't understand why the "judge" is such a big seller. Totally too big for carry. People think it's just a point and shoot hand cannon. What an abortion.

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

I don't get it either. To each his own.

11. HDLLLIII

HDLLLIII Member

Next new purchase you should drive to cincinnati or st louis pr amarillo and then asked to be compensated for travel expenses. Call Taurus...

12. grntitan

From 4ft it is a point and shoot but then again from 4ft a ball bat works pretty darn good as well. I have T/C 410/.45LC 10" Pistol Barrel and it too is about as useless as tits on a Boar. It is a pretty good snake gun though with 6 shot and at your feet. It removes the head. The Judge was a novelty gun that got out of hand in my opinion.---Matt

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

I don't know why your mad at Bass Pro Shops!!! You should be mad at Taurus!!! I would not get a third party involved at all!!! Contact them (Taurus) with your problem and get them to give you a shipping label and send it off to them, that way they can just ship back to you. Good luck and Break-em all. Jeff

14. quartering

quartering Active Member

it was all in the advertising. pure genius. but i'm curious to know why you still want to keep the gun? i'd want my $300 credit back. besides that, a judge sells for more like 400 bucks. why was bass pro selling that one for 300? good luck with it

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I've had problems with Bass Pro. Both times I contacted the manufacturer after getting a run around from Bass Pro. Both times the manufacturer was aware of the problems at Bass Pro. And told me to send them item to them, which they replaced.

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Next time, shop at a small, locally owned gun shop with a good reputation. We give service AFTER the sale that the big box stores are unable or unwilling to give.

We still sell Taurus arms on occasion, but inspect them before they hit the rack. We have sent several new guns back to the factory.

If it were up to me, no Taurus arms would be for sale in the store where I work part time.

17. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Places like Bass Pro and Gander use the firearms as a draw to get you in to buy the high profit item: Clothing.

They would care less about your problem and only help if you make a lot of noise where other customers can see and hear.

When you call Taurus let them know that the internet is listening.

HM

18. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

walk away from a gunshop that won't take off the trigger lock for you to inspect the gun....I think you needed to take your rant out on Taurus. BPS is just a "middle man". If you want real customer service, find a local "real" gunshop where the folks are real shooters. I would not expect any gunshop to refund you your travel costs though, that's a bit of wishful thinking on your part....

19. TrapCrazy

TrapCrazy TS Member

The judge was $529. I had $300 in BPS credit from a previous return. I bought a judge for something different to shoot, I have 4 other rugers and wish they made one in a 410. Kind of a novelty. As for Taurus I called them and they were more than happy to take care of me. My problem with BPS is that they just don't care about the customer. I called and they treated me like an idiot after that i called the store manager and he took 4 days to get back to me. Then the firearms manager gave me the run around and they finally agreed to pay return shipping. A company that sells the product should stand by the product as well. Sure I could have called Taurus but if you bought a TV and it didn't work when you plugged it in an hour later would you call the manufacturer? No you would call the retail store where you bought it from and expect a exchange or your money back.

20. lc

lc TS Member

Not the first problem I have heard about this gun. But another point, one day walking through a BPS looking at the gun counter I saw a salesman trying to take apart a Benelli, he had no idea and told the customer to read the instruction book when he got home, I guess the salesman couldn't read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
bass pro shop sold me defective gun
taurus 608 bass pro

taurus raging bull bass pro

taurus raging judge bass pro