Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

I went to the Gun Show this Weekend

4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  levi391 
#1 ·
I went to the Gun Show this Weekend and found a shotgun just like the one stolen in 2001. It was a Winchester Model 101 Pigeon Grade XL Fwt 12ga OU. I have been looking for one like it every since. The price was great $1200, but they would take $1000.00 and told me a story about how it had been Granddad’s gun. My wife had given me my gun new in 1981 as a gift for getting into Med school. When I got home, guess what? The serial number matched my stolen gun.

The police now have the gun and I have tried to stop payment on the check and an investigation is ongoing. The Officer never had seen anyone recover their own stolen property. AJ

#4 ·
I am glad you got your gun back, but when a stolen gun is sold at a flea market or at a gun show privately there is no paperwork to back track. It happened to me back in 1970. I advertised a Corvette for sale in the newspaper, guy bought it while the car was sitting in a gas station lot on a busy road. A guy driving down the road spots the car and pulls over, looks at my car good and says to me "that car was stolen from me a few years ago". The police get involved but I have the money and the title has been changed. After clearing me they told me not to contact the owner I bought the car from. Never heard anymore, the guy I got the car from was a Philadelphia police officer.

#5 ·
My friend recovered golf clubs stolen from him years ago in a similar way. We where playing, then I noticed he was very distracted. I asked him whats up? That guy has my clubs! How do you know those are yours? He had the personalized pins that you stick in the but of the grip, also had laser engraved serial# from the custom maker of the clubs. his name abbreviated and his birthdate. Finally when the cops met us in the parking lot he cut off one of the clubs grips inside each club shaft the builder puts a tech sheet with name address and specs for that club. The gent who had the clubs was dumbfounded. he gave up the name of the seller. Many items where recovered that where stolen in the surrounding area. we where about 30 miles away on a course we never played.

#6 ·
AJ-
Thats great to hear! I too keep a record of all my serial numbers. I'm sure most on here do. If you don't you should. In the even that your guns are insured and are stolen, without a serial number there is nothing you can do to get it back and your insurance company won't cover it.
Please keep us posted on this one tex. I'd love to know the outcome.

#7 ·
A friend of mine wanted to build a custom rifle and, as I have done, bought a used rifle from a dealer, used the receiver and sold the rest of the gun. Months later, he was notified that the used rifle he purchased had been stolen from a previous owner. He had to submit photos of the receiver and its serial number and eventually take his custom rifle to the dealer's, where a LEO of some kind inspected it. Weeks later, he was finally notified that he could keep the rifle because the legal owner elected not to make him return the receiver.

Ed

#8 ·
Wow, I have gotten to meet all kinds of new people; Police, Federal prosecutors, BATF, Bank surveillance... When he cashed the check, he made it a Federal case. I think this is who stole the gun originally. The statute of limitations may have run on the theft, but sale of stolen goods works just fine. AJ

#10 ·
My step son moved to North Carolina from Illinois, had a Jap rice rocket stolen out of the front yard. They broke the fork lock and drove away. The insurance company paid off and he bought another motor cycle. About 8 months later the police called, caught some kid riding it with Illinois plate on it still. BAD BAD BOY WHAT YOU GOING TO DO WHEN THEY COME FOR YOU

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.