1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I went dumpster diving for hulls @ Cardinal Classi

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Sep 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I have grown accustomed to shaking out the hulls and looking into them for foreign mat'l.

The once fired STSs I gathered up I discovered a dime in the hull, I had shook the hull nothing came out or rattled, I ran them through the MEC Supersizer and then looked into every hull.

A dime was in one and I feel the deprimer rod would have pushed the primer out as it would have slid pass the dime.

Primer would have been pushed into place powder would have migrated and shell would have foried and left the dime in the Barrell for the next load to attempt to push it out causing a catastophic situation.

Do some shooters actually sabatoge an empty or two, to cause others problems?

I would hope not, but there was this dime in the hull.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Could be? But in all my 43 years of DD,I have never found a deliberate case of this type of thing. I would think someone was seeing how a dime would fit in a shell as we sometimes do with a bbl. Or it just migrated its way there. Tom

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Never ascribe to malice what can clearly be explained by incompetence.

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Someone had too much change in their vest. I didn't find any gold coins in any of my dumpster dove for hulls!!

5. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

It's Bush's fault!

6. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Somebody was Trying to UP Your Great Find from .04 too .14 you should be Looking to Thank Somebody. Shoot Well..Dig Often, LOL, Bart PS. Do Have A Brother Named Russ ? Lives in N.E. Georgia Mts. Hell of a Diver..we are Forced to tie a rope on him ..so we can get him out.

7. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

You actually went in a dumpster to get hulls?

Rich

8. psfive

psfive Member

I am not above taking the plunge. Paul in Nebraska.

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

When I scrounged for hulls I only found ear plugs and gum but no dimes .

10. sptnclays

sptnclays Member

Just recently I also found a dime in a hull. My press came to a quick halt when it got to the dedime station.

11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I toss my sts and aa hulls after using rio primers in the dumpsters.....

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Ah...paranoia......the good news is that you're never alone!!

Curt

FEAB9

13. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I'll betcha I got more 1x fired empties out of that dumpster than you did. My 4 yo son is well trained at finding new AA's and can't wait to go back next year to resume his future career!!

14. Dr.Longshot

The guys hauling the empties were glad to put the boxes in my car, and I went to where they emptied the boxes near the campground and placed several empty target boxes next to the 8 ft X 16 ft trash container and sorted the hulls that I wanted and then poured them into Trash Bags. I was looking for Nitro's and STSs, RIO's, New AAs,.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

15. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I never saw anybody put a dime in an empty to sabotage it, but I remember when a Marine on their 5-man team would throw his once-fired Federal paper hulls (yeah, he was getting free ammo from USMC and tax-payers then) on the ground, then purposely step on them before he walked to the next station. BTW this "Marine" was a singer for the Marine Band.

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Theres nothing wrong with DDing.

17. 90Tshooter

90Tshooter Member

I was at a shoot sponsored by a tool supply company. They supplied targets and ammo for a 50 bird event plus an Annie Oakley shoot. They also had door prizes, raffles, free beer/soda and a steak dinner afterwards. Before we left we witnessed the trap help gathering the STS hulls and disposing of them in the dumpster. That was the first time I went dumpster diving, along with a friend. We caught alot of flack from it but we got several target boxes full of STS empties for free.

Joe

18. lost & Dead

lost & Dead Member

I have some friends I shoot with that are divers. When i ask them how many hulls they have at home both say they have around 7-8 k. They have once fired hulls by the thousands and shoot the most beat up blackened hulls you every saw.

19. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

90Tshooter, I to get yelled at when I go and gather STS boxes and or go D.D. I was told it is not something WE DO IN OUR CLUB AS MEMBERS. We buy our boxes. I reply was You have the money to BUY YOUR BOXES and HULLS, I don't. I still DD with pride even if they like it or not. At times when I know they are looking at me I will come out of the trash can or dumpster with a STS box hanging out of my mouth and look around like a raccon looking for the next can to go into. t drives them crazy. LOL

20. Dr.Longshot

Auctioneer I love it, will try that myself. HaHaHa

Now if we just had a way to get that shot!!!

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.