1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I was cheated on Ebay, what can be done?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I have been purchasing items on Ebay for years and have never had a problem until now. Recently I won an auction for some power tools from a seller who had a 100% feedback score. The pictures of the items in the auction were clear, and the individual stated that he has not used any of the tools for a few years and he rated all of them as an 8 out of 10. He said they were very clean and very nice tools.

A few days later I received a huge box from the seller and I could not believe my eyes. All the tools were rusted or burned out, and none of them worked. I think he is a great photographer because if these are the same tools, which I doubt, he hid all the problems in the picture.

I emailed him numerous times with no response. I sent him a certified letter to his po box, retuen receipt requested, which I did receive back from the post office, but still no response from him. I have been holding off getting Ebay involved seeing if I could return these items and get reimbursed buy the seller. As of Monday, I intend to contact Ebay, as well as contact the Wisconsin attorney general and possibly the attorney general in his state of residence.

A friend of mine said, even if Ebay kicks him off the site, he will just use another name and sign up again. What baffels me is that he has a 100% feedback score. Any ideas what my next step should be, and can anything really be done when sellers scam on Ebay?
    Steve Balistreri

2. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you used Paypal to pay for the items, start a claim with them. They WILL get you money back.

Eric

3. senior smoke

My wife looked at the picture of the tools on Ebay with a magnifying glass and she said these are not the same tools. They are the same brand of tools, the same type of tools, but not the tools that I actually received. Without knowing the whole story of what this guy is up to, it seems like he purchased new tools for himself, and took pictures of those tools, and sent me his old rusted and burned out equipment.

I will never understand how some people can be so dishonest? The other day I went on utube and was watching Judge Judy as she got upset with a woman who sold on Ebay. She offered 2 cameras on Ebay, and a mother and daughter won the auction, and instead of receiving the two new cameras that they paid $400.00 for,they received 2 pictures of 2 cameras instead of the actually cameras. Judge Judy went nuts to say the least.
    Steve

4. senior smoke

Twostraight:
    Thanks for the info.
    Steve

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to wait until Monday either. I would read the directions on PayPal and Ebay and get started ASAP. The sooner the better.

As a note Steve. When buying from EBay, not only pay attention to user rating but see how many transactions they have. You can sell one item and have a 100% positive rating. I look for sellers with several hundred or several thousand deals with 100% positive ratings. Those sellers do not want to screw people and get a low rating. I'd bet money the person you bought from didn't have many transactions.--Matt

6. senior smoke

Eric:
    thanks.
    Steve

7. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Steve, how many transactions has this seller had? 100% is only good if there are numerous ones. What was the return policy on the items you bought? Did you read the Feedback of other buyers? Did you pay with Pay-Pal? I was burnt once on a $300 purchase, Pay-Pal refund $250 of it. Return the items if possible.

Wayne

8. senior smoke

grntitan:
    You are 100% correct. He had 4 transactions as a seller, and a total of 56 feedbacks in total. All were 100%. After I made the payment with paypal he wrote the following on my ebay feedback "A cool cat to da max! Our kind of guy"! I am not a cool cat, I feel like a dumb a--. My son told me today that I am to trusting of people.

I grew up being taught by my dad that your word is everything in life. That you don't need to sign papers, your handshake is your word of honor. If you broke your word, people would never feel the same about you. Over the years, when I worked at the bank, I would get customers that I gave home loans to and they would tell me that they got laid off, and on a hand shake they promised to pay the bank back after they got back to work. I saw my boss numerous times pay out of his own pocket a customer's mortgage payment on a handshake and they would promise that they would pay him back. Sorry to say, the world and people have changed. I don't want to live in a world that you can't trust your fellow man. I feel like the village idiot after this.
    Steve

9. showdawg

showdawg TS Member

I have used the pay-pal resolution center 3 times to date, & have gotten a full refund each time. Once you enter the claim, the seller then has to expiditiously give response / responses.

10. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Steve: The resolution is quite simple: go to PayPal and report the sale as "items received not as described" and request a full refund. Also, report the problem at eBay too.

Click the above link to eBay and step through the process. The link is right there regarding what you got is not what was offered.

If you have trouble doing that, email me and I will give you a direct telephone line that takes you directly to the PayPal people in Omaha. They work wonders and it is quick and simple. I had done this several times and have been 100% satisfied.

Whiz

11. GBatch_25

GBatch_25 Active Member

From experience, I can tell you to start a claim ASAP. I sold a laptop to a guy a year ago that was in nearly new condition. After he got it, he emailed me and said there were marks on the screen. I told him they weren't there when it shipped and suggested he try a plastic cleaner. He did and then filed a claim with eBay. Now mind you I have a good rating on eBay and don't lie about things I sell. He contended I misrepresented the item. eBay contacted me and I gave them all the details. They found in favor of the seller and I had to give him a refund. Fortunately, the laptop was still under warranty and HP replaced the screen for me.

Anyway, that's a long way to tell you that eBay will listen to you if you file ASAP.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

12. senior smoke

Thanks for all your help. I just finished filing a claim. They wrote and said they will respond to me by 6-24. Whiz, if I have a problem I will email you for that phone #.
    Thanks everyone.
    Steve

13. quartering

quartering Active Member

i thought we were all boycotting ebay because of their stance on firearms and reloading components! anyway, your gonna' inform your state attorney general before you inform ebay? give me a break. your ag doesn't care about your ebay transaction. good luck with it

14. senior smoke

quartering:
    I would he not care about an Ebay transaction?
    Steve

15. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

smoke, welcome to America....we as a people, are some of the biggest con men on earth......and we keep sending our children off to learn how to screw each other.

It's impossible to expect people to have any honor when we idolize lawyers.

16. senior smoke

221:
    You hit the nail right on the head. We need to teach our children in this day and age about "Honor".
    Steve

17. senior smoke

I just received this email from the guy who sent me these rusted and burned out tools. Below is his email.
    Steve

"Threats are not appropriate. You stated your concerns and I agree to refund your payment. Simple. I am overseas expecting to return this coming Wednesday. I will try on Monday to work with Paypal on your refund. I have no laptop computer with me, so I need to speak with them on the phone after I finish my weekend assignments".

He obviously did not like the part of my letter to Ebay that stated if this matter goes unresolved, that I would send a letter to the Attorney General of Wisconsin. What he doesn't seem to understand, a threat is something you don't intend to carry out, this was fact.
    Steve

18. grntitan

Sounds like this dude does this racket for a living. For every one that files a claim for refund he probably gets several that don't. Don't let this set back deter or discourage you Steve. I have had 1000's of good buy sells myself and only one minor glitch. Just be a little more selective in who you do buisness with. Unfortunately a man and his word isn't enough to go on anymore. Also remember the old saying, "if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is". I will add this, most everyone on this site still sticks by their word. I still believe in a man's word here.--Matt

19. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Judge Judy? You are joking right?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

20. grntitan

Gene--Unlike yourself, Judge Judy was/is actually a real Judge with probably more years in law then you could dream of. When cases are presented in her TV court, be it a circus or not, the decisions are legal, binding and final. They are however not actually decided on air but beforehand in another small claims court by a seperate group of judges.

I believe this is what Steve is talking about.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zuP1pXSvNJI?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zuP1pXSvNJI?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.