1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I want to shine up my stock

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by nailer123, Aug 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

I bought a browning special trap . The wood and finsh are nice what is the best thing to clean it up and protect it.

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

Clean it with some cheap liquid furniture polish and then apply a good paste wax for protection.

Pat Ireland

3. nailer123

nailer123 TS Member

What kind of paste wax do you like pat.And do you have any advice for me being new to doubles.

4. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

The finish on the Citori Special Trap guns is that evil plastic epoxy. I don't think it can be "shined up". It is shiny by its nature. Wax and polish will not have any more impact than just buffing with a soft cloth. And I call it evil stuff because it is very difficult to strip and worse is that Browning does not put any of that finish on the inside of stock or the face of the butt. Rather than polishing the plastic outside, consider finishing the raw wood on the inside of the stock.

5. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

A cheap paint stripper will take it off then I used tru oil and it shines like glass after buffed it with car wax!!!!

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I brought a old stock to a old wood refinisher, not sure what he did BUT boy that thing looked brandiNew! charged me 10bucks.

7. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Try Johnson floor paste wax. It will put a very nice shine on any gunstock.

8. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

Part of the problem lies in the finish itself. If it is a semi-gloss or matte it will never shine. I have had some beautiful P-gun stocks that I had to remove the finish and fill and refinish. That made some nice wood spectacular.

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

John the p gun stocks can be made shiny most of the time but you have to wetsand them with 2500 grit and polish it's a lot of work but it can be done with out refinish most of the time I charge $125. to peform the work and $275-$400 to refinish them.
    Joe goldberg

10. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

Another option, if you happen to be a wood worker or perhaps know one who has the equipment, is to use a buffer wheel and a white diamond bar. I shine up my stocks using the Beall buffing system. The wheels are a permanent fixture on my slow speed grinder, and I use it to finish off all my wood projects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.