1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I want the sport of Trapshooting and ATA strive

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, Oct 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

LETTER TO ATA
    I want to bring the ATA back to the shooters like it used to be. First thing is the number of targets to obtain a permanent card, previously when you joined you got a temporary card, bring it back. Some shooters do not shoot doubles, so I propose to get a permanent card, they shoot500 singles, 500 handicap targets
    at 20 yds for men, 18 yds for women, jrs, and sub jrs. Once a male shooter attains his 18th birthday he moves to the 20 yard line unless he earned Ydge.

NEW RULE
    For shooters to make their State Team they must have shot 1,000 targets from 16 yards, 1,000 targets from their Hdcp, and 500 Doubles Targets, averages of each decide State Teams.

NEW RULE
    To be on the All American Team they must shoot the Grand American Week, 200 singles,A Handicap, and Doubles event The High shooters from each state are then selected for the All American Team.

The winners of the Grand American singles, hdcp and doubles for 2011, are on the 2012 All American Team, and each year thereafter.
    Teams would comprise, Men, Women Jrs,Sub Jrs, Vets, Sr,Vets, Chairshooters.

NEW RULE
    All Lweis classes to be paid 50/30/20 no high gun payout.

There will be no High Gun Payouts on any event, all ties split.

Great Eastern Purse would be 25-15-10-25-15-10 and pay the top 6 scores.

Gun Companies, Shell Companies, Etc are encouraged to offer merchandise for nshooters and free ATA advertising for these events, w/selected drawn score number.

NEW RULE
    All targets would be 3 hole targets @ 42 MPH 10 Ft High at 10 yards

All doubles targets would be a minimum 44 yards and I belive 40-42 mph

Angles would be From post#1 3 1/2 ft to the left of post#1 and 3 1/2 ft to the right of post#5 Maximum angle.

NEW SHELL RULE
    12 gauge 2 3/4 inch shells only, no 20 gauge shells shall be used. 12 gauge shells w 1 1/8th max 500 grains in shot weight, max speed will be 1200 fps advertised speed, may not exceed 1220 FPS, 1 Ounce shells may not exceed 1250
    fps advertised speed. Nickle Plated shot may be used, no Copper Shot or tracers.
    Shot size may not exceed #7s.

NEW RULE
    Any trapshooter who recieves compensation for teaching the sport of Trapshooting
    will be classified Industry, or Professional.

Any gun Manufacturer supplying a gun to a shooter to use, that Mfgr shall report the name of the Individual nand the name of the firearm to the ATA Office
    and thgat shooter will be classified Industry Or Professional, This same applies to shells supplied to shooters by shell Mfgrs, and they shall report shells given to shooters, which includes Executive Committee, Members of the Board, The Central Handicap Committee Members, and any other ATA personnell including office personnell, and Executive Director.

Any shooter who recieves any compensation, not limited to housing, hotels, motels, travel expenses, shell vouchers,will ne classified INDUSTRY OR
    PROFESSIONAL.

There shall be NO EXECUTIVE SESSIONS in any manner at any time.

All meetings except the one held at the Grand American shall be held and be by Computer Webinairs to hold down costs.

The executive director shall be in all meetings conducted.

Trapshooting Members may speak at the Grand American Meeting, and a list of the members requesting to speak to be posted on the doorways to the meeting room, and the topic of their agenda. To be put on the Agenda Your Proposal must be submitted to the ATA Office Attn: Connie Collier or Office Manager not less than 90 days of the first day of Grand American Week, By Registered Mail w/return Reciept of proof of delivery, so you may not be denied the right to speak. You will be limited to 3 minutes on your proposal.

To be on the agenda member must have been a mamber for at least 4 years preceeding the Grand American Meeting, or a Life Member.

All rules changes must be voted on by the membership before they can be enacted.

Any rules changes requested by the Executive Committee must be posted in all GUN CLUBS a minimum of at least 90 days, prior to the Grand Week Meeting

These are just a few changes I woulod like to be seen for the Sport Of Trapshooting that I love and care for.

Gary Bryant Life member 40-10126

2. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Gary is obviously a man with a plan. I always enjoy reading his suggestions.

LETTER TO ATA I want to bring the ATA back to the shooters like it used to be. First thing is the number of targets to obtain a permanent card, previously when you joined you got a temporary card, bring it back. Some shooters do not shoot doubles, so I propose to get a permanent card, they shoot500 singles, 500 handicap targets at 20 yds for men, 18 yds for women, jrs, and sub jrs. Once a male shooter attains his 18th birthday he moves to the 20 yard line unless he earned Ydge.

-> You seem to know what you're talking about on this. No dog in this fight.

NEW RULE For shooters to make their State Team they must have shot 1,000 targets from 16 yards, 1,000 targets from their Hdcp, and 500 Doubles Targets, averages of each decide State Teams.

-> No dog in this fight.

NEW RULE To be on the All American Team they must shoot the Grand American Week, 200 singles,A Handicap, and Doubles event The High shooters from each state are then selected for the All American Team.

-> No dog in this fight.

The winners of the Grand American singles, hdcp and doubles for 2011, are on the 2012 All American Team, and each year thereafter. Teams would comprise, Men, Women Jrs,Sub Jrs, Vets, Sr,Vets, Chairshooters.

-> Sounds good.

NEW RULE All Lweis classes to be paid 50/30/20 no high gun payout.

-> No dog in this fight.

There will be no High Gun Payouts on any event, all ties split.

-> No dog in this fight.

Great Eastern Purse would be 25-15-10-25-15-10 and pay the top 6 scores.

-> No dog in this fight.

Gun Companies, Shell Companies, Etc are encouraged to offer merchandise for nshooters and free ATA advertising for these events, w/selected drawn score number.

-> Good idea.

NEW RULE All targets would be 3 hole targets @ 42 MPH 10 Ft High at 10 yards

-> An improvement, but still a little slow. Ball trap, a compromise between ATA and Olympic, is up in the 50's, and that has elevation changes.

All doubles targets would be a minimum 44 yards and I believe 40-42 mph

-> Is this what they throw in the Olympics?

Angles would be From post#1 3 1/2 ft to the left of post#1 and 3 1/2 ft to the right of post#5 Maximum angle.

-> Will this knock scores down sufficiently?

NEW SHELL RULE 12 gauge 2 3/4 inch shells only, no 20 gauge shells shall be used. 12 gauge shells w 1 1/8th max 500 grains in shot weight, max speed will be 1200 fps advertised speed, may not exceed 1220 FPS, 1 Ounce shells may not exceed 1250 fps advertised speed. Nickle Plated shot may be used, no Copper Shot or tracers. Shot size may not exceed #7s.

-> I say cap shot load, but leave all other variables up to the shooter's discretion. If some guy only has a 20, let him shoot it. If some guy want's to knock his dentures out, let him. I'm sure you have reasons for this suggestion.

NEW RULE Any trapshooter who recieves compensation for teaching the sport of Trapshooting will be classified Industry, or Professional.

-> A-freaking-men! Also have a bump-up based on money or tournaments won.

Any gun Manufacturer supplying a gun to a shooter to use, that Mfgr. shall report the name of the Individual and the name of the firearm to the ATA Office and that shooter will be classified Industry Or Professional, This same applies to shells supplied to shooters by shell Mfgrs., and they shall report shells given to shooters, which includes Executive Committee, Members of the Board, The Central Handicap Committee Members, and any other ATA personnel including office personnel, and Executive Director.

-> A-freaking-men!

Any shooter who recieves any compensation, not limited to housing, hotels, motels, travel expenses, shell vouchers,will ne classified INDUSTRY OR PROFESSIONAL.

-> A-freaking-men!

There shall be NO EXECUTIVE SESSIONS in any manner at any time.

-> Good idea, but executives do need to meet to set the Board agenda and to address housekeeping issues. How about not letting them privately meet to discuss any matter of consequence?

All meetings except the one held at the Grand American shall be held and be by Computer Webinairs to hold down costs.

-> An idea well past time. WebEx is great. Cisco's deal is fantastic.

The executive director shall be in all meetings conducted.

-> Obviously.

Trapshooting Members may speak at the Grand American Meeting, and a list of the members requesting to speak to be posted on the doorways to the meeting room, and the topic of their agenda. To be put on the Agenda Your Proposal must be submitted to the ATA Office Attn: Connie Collier or Office Manager not less than 90 days of the first day of Grand American Week, By Registered Mail w/return Reciept of proof of delivery, so you may not be denied the right to speak. You will be limited to 3 minutes on your proposal.

-> 90 days is too much. 21 days is just about right.

To be on the agenda member must have been a mamber for at least 4 years preceeding the Grand American Meeting, or a Life Member.

-> Too much. All members are equal.

All rules changes must be voted on by the membership before they can be enacted.

-> Good idea.

Any rules changes requested by the Executive Committee must be posted in all GUN CLUBS a minimum of at least 90 days, prior to the Grand Week Meeting

-> And on the web, where a member can log in and vote with his ATA number.

These are just a few changes I woulod like to be seen for the Sport Of Trapshooting that I love and care for.

-> I always love reading ideas and suggestions.

Gary Bryant Life member 40-10126

3. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

Targets thrown at the widest possible angles and a minimum of 55 mph... (singles & 'caps), doubles at 50 mph.

Anyone who wins the Grand American Handicap shall be placed on the 27 yd. line for at least 2 full ATA shooting years (regardless of the yardage at the time of the event).

Lewis Options TBD per Tournament

Compulsory Money to be instituted at all larger tournaments (20+ squads)

Absolutely no monetary expenses paid to the EC...a volunteer is a volunteer is a volunteer (if they can't afford, to bad, go away).

It's a good start....

Curt

FEAB9

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The chances that a change will take place are slim and none. HMB

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"NEW RULE For shooters to make their State Team they must have shot 1,000 targets from 16 yards, 1,000 targets from their Hdcp, and 500 Doubles Targets, averages of each decide State Teams."

Sorry can't agree this is the state's business not the ATA's

"NEW RULE All Lweis classes to be paid 50/30/20 no high gun payout."

"There will be no High Gun Payouts on any event, all ties split."

Same type reason to disagree only this is club business not the ATA's

"Trapshooting Members may speak at the Grand American Meeting, and a list of the members requesting to speak to be posted on the doorways to the meeting room, and the topic of their agenda."

Only if they are a member for 4 years. So what is wrong with members with less time than that do they have two heads or are they stupid or what?????

More transparency is what you say you want but now you want to control what the states and clubs rights are also. Real transparent!!!!!

Bob Lawless

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Indy and Longsh?t two real winners - NOT. At least one of them is a shooter, sort of.

Why don't you two geniuses start your own association with those rules. Let me know when you hit ten members, if I live that long.

By the way what is a "strive"

Don

7. happytrapper

happytrapper TS Member

LETTER TO DR LONGSHOT Do you lay awake at night thinking up crap to bitch about. what a bunch of stupid ideas. Why don't you and Indy & grnberetcj volunteer to run the ATA and see how many member you loose. I will be the frist one to go. I would not be a member to anything being ran by a bunch of idiots with idiotic ideas.

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Well, Gary, there is one thing I can agree with

"This same applies to shells supplied to shooters by shell Mfgrs, and they shall report shells given to shooters, which includes Executive Committee, Members of the Board, The Central Handicap Committee Members, and any other ATA personnell including office personnell, and Executive Director."

There's been a big problem with ATA office personell kicking our butts with shells they get for free from manufactures and they don't have to pay for them like we do. It's about time to put a stop to it, if you ask me!

Neil

9. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

IF you want to hear a whole bunch of shooters slamming the door behind them go ahead and make your targets faster and wider.. Dr Longwind you were here when they tried to enforce the 3 hole rule .. remember how well that went over ??

Golly Gee Whiz.. boys and girls, I think Longwind and Indy make a fine pair !! I'd vote them into office tomorrow.. well, except for the fact that I'd rather not totally destroy the ATA in one quick move.. .

10. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

"IF you want to hear a whole bunch of shooters slamming the door behind them go ahead and make your targets faster and wider.."

Bye. If the shooters from the dumbed-down era can't handle a challenge, they're not needed. All they're doing is holding the sport down.

Easy targets and huge numbers of perfect scores turn off new shooters.

11. missed some

missed some TS Member

No money, and lack of jobs turn down new shooters, but you can go ahead think up stuff for your dream assoc. If bullshit were music you guys would put john sousa to shame. mark

12. FlaLagarto

FlaLagarto Well-Known Member

Indy,

You need to stop flip-flopping.. either you want to keep them or run them off. You can't do both.. .

13. ivanhoe

"Bye. If the shooters from the dumbed-down era can't handle a challenge, they're not needed. All they're doing is holding the sport down."

I agree with Jerry. You want to throw shooters from the dumbed-down era(as you call them)under the bus to try to attract and satisfy shooters you don't even have yet.

Where did you get that brilliant idea??? Trade what you already have for what you hope to get!!!!! Sounds like something Obummer would come up with.

Bob Lawless

14. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

You guys are on your way out, anyway. Sorry, but it's just the way it is. We need to worry about the future.

Why such resistance against a harder target? They'll be the same for everyone.

15. Oscar Ray

Oscar Ray TS Member

I am new to this sport, it is my 2nd year. I have never seen such bitching about the little things in my life. Enjoy this sport, try to get new shooters involved and all of those perfect scores...makes me strive to do better. I am not a youngster, but I really enjoy this sport. I do not agree with everything the ATA does, but they do strive to do their best for this sport.

As Rodney King said "Can't we all just get along?" (That was humor)

Seriously, We ALL have to do a better job of promoting this sport!

Oscar Ray

16. ivanhoe

"You guys are on your way out, anyway. Sorry, but it's just the way it is."

Very amusing How does this strike you "We need to worry about the future." Just curious but who is we?? Do you have a mouse in your pocket. Or did you acquire a majority from those that don't post here??? From what I am reading in the statements and comments on this thread and the rest you post to. You sure as he!! aren't getting much support in your ideas from this board.

Maybe the rest of those you are referring to are in your mind.

Bob Lawless

17. IndyShotgun

IndyShotgun TS Member

Most people registered here agree with me. Most trapshooters agree with me. Most shooters who infrequently shoot trap agree with me.

A vocal old minority doesn't, and they cry louder than everyone else. Because the old people cry, you deter people from getting on board with needed change.

What are you guys so angry about? You old people disagree with everything.

Trap needs to be harder. - Everyone agrees with this, except you.

The ATA needs to sanction and promote more forms of trap than only the two they currently acknowledge. - Everyone agrees with this, except you.

Trap rounds need to be affordable and as cheap as possible if we want the sport to grow. - Everyone agrees with this, except you.

Punch cards for rounds of trap would make a great Christmas present for a shooter. - Everyone agrees with this, except you.

You old people have no new ideas, and you're content to watch trap participation continue to plummet, as long as you get to sit in your RV in the trap club parking lot and talk to people your own age group, doing the same thing you did 30 years ago.

Selfish old people.

18. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

It's so stupid its funny. At least the two of them did stop to pose for a pic.
    grntitan_2009_2503231.jpg

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Indy name those who agree with you. You don't have to worry it won't take up much space.

Don

20. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

At what age does one become a "selfish old person?" BTW Indy what have you done to affect change? What clubs in your area do you volunteer at? What do you do to help the cause besides flapping your gums at your perceived issues?Inquireing minds want to know.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.