1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I use to be proud to be a Wisconsinite

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by senior smoke, Feb 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    There was a time when I was growing up in the city of Milwaukee that I was very proud to be from the state of Wisconsin. Sure, history shows that we had a Senator by the name of Joseph McCarthy, but will also had a senator by the name of William Proxmire, and his Golden Fleece award.

As a young man, I would often watched television sitting in disbelief when there were stories about foreign third world countries fighting by the means of throwing chairs and punches at one another when trying to pass new bills. Saying to myself, how this could never happen to my state and to my country.

As a young man, seeing and hearing stories about corruption in city and state government that our neighbors were experiencing just 90 miles to our north. As I would laid my head on my pillow at night believing that Milwaukee and the state of Wisconsin was above all of that.

As I write this today I am no longer a young man, I am a grandfather with three grandchildren. I sit and wonder what will my city and state be like for my grandchildren when they grow up? Realizing that my city is no longer the city that I once knew and loved. From having a past alderman on the take, and a former Mayor and our police chief having affairs, I often wonder what has happened to my city that I once loved and respected?

Seeing the turmoil in my state capitol, the anger, the yelling, the possibility of violence, makes me sad as I now wonder what has happened to my once beloved state? State politicians in hiding, huddling in a neighboring state as the State police are attempting to round them up, I now ask myself, what has happened to my once beautiful state?

Now as I lay my head on my pillow, I whisper to myself and say, what has happened to my city and state, and my country? Worrying if the troubles I have witnessed could possibly lead to violence, and a eventually a civil war? As I fall to sleep hearing echoes say that this could not possibly ever happen to my beloved city and state and my country.

Steve Balistreri

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Steve,

I hear ya.

I think about the "UNITED" States of America. Seems the only things that are "UNITED" is our States as a country. After that I really do not see much unity as a people of this great country and state of Wisconsin. Jon

3. slipping into darkness

slipping into darkness TS Member

Steve it's sad to think most of the politician are corrupt and on the take, and they only care about advancing there Gold pile. you brought up a politician that went after the pork spenders and money takers and what happen he was told to stop. and Washington D.C. is been getting fatter ever since. I think we have the most corrupt Government in the world. just think the treasure Chest our elected have hidden away! it would make that building in Baghdad that was filled with are money look empty. my glass has not been half full or half empty for a long time. "m2c"

4. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Soon you will refer to this time as the "good ole days". With the Mexican invasion underway and the ways of their culture coming with them, well - you'll see. These times will be consider the "salad days" in a few short years.

Oh, by the way - Joe McCarthy was right.

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Bisi:
    I hope not.
    Steve

6. Hawk46

Hawk46 TS Member

Hey Steve, look at it like this: you could be from NY or California. Talk about embarassing... :). I was born/raised in Ohio, we're next. We'll see if the Dems there abscond to the ski slopes in the Alleghenies.

7. GW22

GW22 Active Member

HAWK 46 is right, Steve -- compared to California, New Jersey or Illinois, Wisconsin still seems dignified.

Dozens more states long run by crooked, irresponsible politicians are going to come apart at the financial seams in the next few years. Just watch.

-Gary

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Liberals are loud, organized and in your face. They want to intimidate normal people into thinking their perverted way of life is the way things should be,.

We just got done having a governor who cheated, lied, and stole private funds in an attempt to balance the budget.

There are many people who want theirs, and don't care about others.

The Media seems to be giving a 70/30 coverage in favor of these pukes.

The people voted their will, and thes idiots want to change it because it doesn't suit them.

Childish.

HM

9. cueguy2

cueguy2 TS Member

How many people are willing to spend millions to get a job that could be temporary and pays around $100,000 to 200,000? Got to be a catch somewhere. Something stinks in the wood pile and it usually is spelled politics..........
    I do wish that there was some normalcy in all of this. I too am not young anymore and do wonder what it will be like for my grandchildren.
    Nubs Wagner.
    Former WI guy. Now in KY.

10. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

HM, That's not unique to Wisconsin, sad to say.

11. Clay KillR

Clay KillR TS Member

For those in WI, there are multiple recall campaigns underway to get the runaway dumbocrap state senators thrown out.

If you are the victim of one of these thieves, get your signature on the recall petitions!

Get these cowards out of office!

By the way, your tax dollars are paying them to sit at a resort and not do their job.

12. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

senior smoke:

If Proxmire is your idea of honorable, you might want to reconsider. He was a career liberal politician that served 32 years in the U.S. Senate alone.

Proxmire was born and raised in a north burb of Chicago. He moved to Madison right out of Harvard grad school because it's political climate matched his lib dem ideology and political ambitions.

Before his first successful election, Proxmire worked a variety of short term jobs including stints as a labor reporter. Among those was as a radio commentator for Union Labor News. The program was "Labor Sounds Off" and it was sponsored by the American Federation of Labor, aka the AFL, as in AFL-CIO. He was canned from The Capital Times newspaper in Madison. Proxmire himself was quoted, "They fired me... for labor activities and impertinence."

As you noted, Proxmire is perhaps best known for his Golden Fleece Awards. Ostensibly targeting wasteful government spending (a good thing) his targets were often basic research studies which by definition, aren't trying to achieve a specific practical outcome. The problem is that more than a few of his 'awards' were ill conceived knee jerk cheap shots. Some got him sued. He publically apologized for several more.

When I was an undergrad, I remember one of Proxmire's 'fleece' awards going to a multi-million dollar research project studying temperature changes in lab rats' ears. Proxmire basically said, "Who gives a rats @ss about a rat's ear?" In this particular instance the answer was 'most of us'. This project was a medical study about treating cardiac and circulatory diseases. The ears of lab rats just happens to be a very handy place to study blood flow.

A fiscal conservative that opposed abortion and favored fundamental civil rights, Proxmire wasn't all bad. He was however, a life long self-serving lib dem grandstander.

As a died-in-the-wool big labor guy, Proxmire would be standing hand in hand with the Wisconsin's public union protesters - if he weren't already dead.

sissy

an edited later addition...

I forgot to mention, Proxmire is the only non-Hollywood male I know that had both hair implants AND a face lift. Furthermore, he did it something like 25 years ago when such procedures were nearly unheard of for men. How vain is that?? And who's taxpayer financed medical plan do you suppose paid for those procedures? Talk about your wasteful government spending...

13. shelly

shelly TS Member

Proxmire was every bit as useless as these FLEABAGGERS.

14. EE

EE Banned User Banned

Scott Walker might just be the savior of our country.

15. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Hey Senior Smoke...Look at it this way,it could be worse,you could be from Massachusetts and have the likes of Barney Frank the queer,Kerry the liar,and the corrupt Kennedys leading your state!!!!

16. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

michmoe, I thought the kennedy's were gone, unless you're the oil deliverer. :)

17. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

So many problems would be served by term limits. The voters, the people, should demand either legislation or public referemdum to establish term limits. Further, all political appointees shall submit their resignation upon the expiration of the term of the appointer.

Then we would see the "change" that is talked about, but rarely achieved.

js in PA

18. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

If your going to do what is "right" in todays world, YOU will be attacked! called names(ie fleabaggers) right wing nutjobs and so on!

Nothing has changed over time, just access is quicker!

Latest doc's out of Russia has proved the following:

"Joe McCarthy was right" in most of who he went after!

19. chipped1

chipped1 TS Member

I second what Timberfaller stated. You need to bone up on your knowledge of Joe McCarthy. He was vilified by the media then and now yet history has proven that he was correct.

Webster's defines McCarthyism as "the practice of making accusations of disloyalty, especially of pro-Communist activity, in many instances unsupported by proof or based on slight, doubtful, or irrelevant evidence."

But now M. Stanton Evans, long one of the conservative movement's most respected and thoughtful writers, has published a 663-page book of meticulous research and dispassionate analysis that argues the opposite: McCarthy was right about there being communists in government, his investigative methods were careful, thorough and of the highest standard, his adversaries were the ones who practiced "McCarthyism."

Columnist Robert Novak, no fan of McCarthy, writes that Stan Evans makes "a convincing case" that Senator McCarthy did not drive "liberal" officials from public life, did not accuse "innocents" of being Communists, and did not degrade the public process by accusing rivals of treason. Blacklisted by History: The Untold Story of Senator Joe McCarthy is already one of the most talked-about books of the year about one of the most controversial figures in American politics.

Chip

20. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Wonder what that's like, to stand there and demand that someone else (taxpayer) pay for your raise, improved benefits, pension, etc. ? Must be the advantage of belonging to a union they're always talking about. Puke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

content