1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

I tried a HI Viz front sight today...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooter R, Jul 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooter R

Shooter R TS Member

I've always believed in my style of shooting. Concentrate on the front edge of the target, and the gun will get there. No need to know where the front sight/barrel is, just be smooth and move the gun to where your looking.

My 16's are good (97+), but my Hcp's (was 26.5 yds.) are a little off. I'm about 60 years old, and can really only see either the target or the bead, not both. Everyone knows if you have a choice... LOOK AT THE TARGET!

Anyways... with the HI Vis sight, I can see both! Yea, I FOCUS on the FRONT of the target, but... there it is, the little green light just ahead of, or on, the bird. Release the trigger and (as John Madsen used to say "BAM") dead target.

Harlan Campbel, and Phil Kiner use these things. I shot a straight from 16, and a 24 from 25 today. I'm going to give it a go at my next couple of registered shoots.

If anyone has some positives, or negatives, I'd like to hear them.
  2. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Dumb question-Why would you put something on the end of your barrel that looks larger than the target as it comes out of the house-guess what you eye will pick to look at?
  3. Shooter R

Shooter R TS Member

Did you read the part where Harlan and Phil use these things? They seem to be doing OK.
  4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Pssst -- are you sure they haven't painted the ends black?

-Gary
  5. Shooter R

Shooter R TS Member

At our Wisconsin State Shoot last year, I looked at Harlans, his was not painted black at either end. He didn't have a "HI Vis" advertisement logo anywhere on him either.
  6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

I won't judge you. In the midst of a slump I once went a little cuckoo for the bright lights too. And for a while it worked. Good luck, and if it works - DO IT.

-Gary
  7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

Considering the number of targets Harlan must shoot in a week, he's probably got his mind well trained to avoid consciously looking at that glowball EVERY time he pulls the trigger.

Me? I tried the same color lite pipe he uses when I went to his clinic and it worked well that day under those light conditions. The next time I shot, I could not avoid looking at it. And that's how it went until I ditched the thing... one day it worked well and the next day it was nothing but a liability. Given the time and the motivation I might have gotten used to it but I'm happier without it.

Keller
  8. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

I'd tape a chicken leg to the end of my barrel if it helped me and wouldn't care what anyone thought about it. I say if it's working for you then it's on like donkey kong. I personally don't like them but if you do then who is anyone to tell you different?
  9. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Jason Hassler...I love your post! Made me laugh.

I have guns with white beads and guns with Hi-Viz. I don't find there to be a difference in my scores with either, even when I put the white tube in the Hi-Viz. What I have noticed is that the bead that I have the most trouble with popping into my conscience vision is the white! (Well, the bright orange is worse.) The green doesn't seem to do that as badly. Martinpicker
  10. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

Thanks Martin
  11. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I thought Phil Kiner always blacked out the beads, that must of changed if he has a Hi Viz on his gun ... WPT ... (YAC) ...
  12. midalake

midalake Well-Known Member

ANY of the "glow beads" are a gimmick that has already peaked and will in the long run NOT make you shoot better......in fact WORSE.

GS
  13. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

For those who can concentrate on the target and not be distracted, the bright sight is seen in your secondary vision and helps your onboard computer make the necessary nano second decision to judget the angle and speed of the target, where your barrel is and where it needs to go and when to pull the trigger.

Hell, you don't heve to think about it if you look at the bird.........of course that is if you have proper gun fit and the gun shoots where you are looking.
  14. goose2

goose2 Active Member

I have tried the glow sights and they never worked for me but I do have friends who love them..
    I mite add that I shot well enough to make AA last summer with no beads at all. Go figure
  15. slayer

slayer Active Member

A friend and fellow shooter recently went back to his "oldest" trap gun out of frustration, a ribless 870 with a small metal bead. you guessed it: nothing but straights. Myself, I prefer a big old truglo fatbead in green and a high rib. My point is if it works for you, go for it. Even if it's a chicken leg lol. Bill
  16. tincanman

tincanman Member

Can be a huge distraction for those folks who have trouble with checking in on the front bead when tracking the target.

If you can get and keep that loose gaze out into the field it should work wonderfully.
  17. Jason Hassler

Jason Hassler Member

My 303 had a light pipe style sight that was on the gun when I bought it. It had a green colored sight which I didn't really care for but my only complaint was they seemed to break easy. I work in a dental lab so I took one of the inserts in to work, invested it in a high temperature investment, burned the plastic out at about 1500 degrees and cast the pattern in a non precious alloy. Polished it up and had a silver colored front sight. It never broke again.
  18. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Jason -

That is NO FAIR! Chicken legs, yes. Dental alloy, NO!

Here's my solution to the whole problem:

[​IMG]

Ted K.
  19. Redcobra

Redcobra Member

Jason,
    Was that a raw or cooked chicken leg?
  20. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Mr. Burgess -

The ATA has outlawed tires, VW or otherwise. The PITA, however, permits them.

Ted K.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.