1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I thought I'd share a e-mail from Senator.....

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by likes-to-shoot, Apr 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

A e-mail I received from Senator Grassley From Iowa on the last gun control bill......

Thank you for taking the time to contact me with your support for the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on the issue of gun control.

Recently, the Senate has debated and voted on gun control legislation proposed in response to the tragic events in Newtown. Though well intentioned, I had concerns with many of these proposals and their relationship towards Americans’ rights.

On April 9th, the Senate voted to proceed to consider S. 649, Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013. I voted against proceeding to consider this piece of legislation. I had concerns with moving forward with a bill that was not clear on what would actually be considered. When debating changes that could potentially make honest Americans criminals, the Senate needs to allow an appropriate amount of time to consider and examine the legislation. At the time of the vote, the background check language was subject to change. Senators needed more time to read and consider what was to be voted on.

There was an amendment to S. 649 proposed by Senators Manchin and Toomey that was seen as a compromise on background checks. However, I had serious concerns with the Manchin-Toomey amendment because it would have expanded background checks. According to the Deputy Director of the National Institute of Justice, an effective background check would need to be universal and accompanied by gun registration. I am adamantly opposed to gun registration and voted against the amendment because it would have been ineffective legislation. Congress needs to first examine the current laws and background checks to make sure they are properly preventing prohibited persons from obtaining firearms.

Additionally, there was an amendment proposed that would have limited large capacity ammunition feeding devices. As I have said several times, limiting magazine capacity does nothing to stop violent crimes. Criminals can simply carry multiple magazines. This restriction would only further restrict law abiding citizens from purchasing accessories used for sport target shooting and protection. Senator Feinstein also proposed an amendment that would have included her ban on certain semi-automatic weapons. I also voted against this amendment due to my firm belief in the Second Amendment.

I want you to know that as the debate over gun legislation continues I will continue to fight for the rights of Americans that are guaranteed by the Second Amendment. I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this debate and will keep them in mind should the Senate consider any new gun legislation.

2. Avatar

Sounds much more sensible than the senators from my state, alas.

3. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The other is retiring but he still would have voted in favor of the bill regardless..

What disturbs me greatly is this sentence from the e-mail:

According to the Deputy Director of the National Institute of Justice, an effective background check would need to be universal and accompanied by gun registration.

McCain and the other three traitors voted for this crap.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.