1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I think the ATA does a pretty good job!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Nov 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Over the years, I have heard shooters either agree or disagree the way the ATA runs our sport. Personally, I think they do a very good job. Every gun club has his resident big mouth, who has all the answers. Recently, one of the know it all's, got on his soap box and complained about their rules, and how he would do things differently. Do I agree with every rule myself or think something could be improved, yes. But hopefully most shooters realize the ATA has been doing this and perfecting everything for an awful long time. I strongly believe to leave well enough alone. If it works don't touch it. The resident big mouth that I mentioned above wants the entire handicap system revamped because he felt that sandbagger's were out of control. Maybe just maybe, this guy is over reacting as I believe sandbagging happens a lot less than people believe. I feel if you don't like the ATA, you have two choices. For the most part, I think it works, leave it alone.
    Steve Balistreri

2. senior smoke

longshooter:
    Years ago the furthest back I ever got was 25 1/2 yds. Back then I usually played every option. To be honest, I was never a good shooter, hardly ever won anything. But I love the game and later in my shooting career all I would play was the Lewis due to economic reasons and my lack of ability.
    Steve

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

People who are in C and D class at BIG SHOOTS all of a sudden starts to shoots 98, 99 and 100 in all events. How does a C and D class shooter shot such GOOD scores????????? I for one would like to see their scores for that year when they shot at all the small shoots. I doubt very much that they were in or close to the 90's. Sandbagging is a problem in the ATA and they will not do anything about it.

4. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

"Do I agree with every rule myself or think something could be improved, yes."

You make this statement, then you make this one?

"For the most part, I think it works, leave it alone." Steve Balistreri

Why would you think it should be left alone when you say things could be improved Steve? Ideas and discussion, whether or not we agree on them, is how we get things changed, no? Saying "leave it alone" is the old ostrich approach?

Too bad more people didn't voice their leave it alone attitudes when our sports leadership adopted a cheating practice as being best for all including our sport? There's other changes I could mention and other members could too? So, why is it wrong to even discuss the ATA and changes?

Hap

5. 20yard

20yard TS Member

All my experiences with ATA shoots have also been positive. When you consider though it's mostly the local shoot management that I see and these people volunteer their time to organize something for my enjoyment. What's not to like? Regarding the ATA politics we read so much on here the posters that I read like Pat and Neil are very friendly and helpful to new shooters, again what's not to like? Regarding all the strongly opinionated posters here I respect their viewpoint but can't understand why they are so intolerant of any other view on topics like refusing yardage reduction etc., in the sport. I think it's possible to suggest and even push for changes in rules while being respectful of others in the sport who want to see no changes.

6. senior smoke

longshooter:
    Now that I look at it, you may be right.
    Steve

Auctioneer:
    I understand what you are saying. I do believe that everyone of us has their big day. But, I still say sandbagging is not as big a problem as some people think. Obviously, I can't prove it either way. In fact, I never knew anyone who could actually prove a shooter was sandbagging? How do you really prove it?
    Steve

Hap MecTweaks:
    What I meant to say is "do I agree with every rule myself"? NO. Do I think somethings could be improved? yes. I feel that there are some shooters that feel that the ATA does nothing right. No matter what the ATA does they find fault. What organization is perfect? What organization hasn't made a mistate. But for the most part I feel the ATA does a very good job.
    Steve

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Auctioneer- If 150 C and D shooters show up at a big shoot, is it unreasonable to expect a few of them will shoot very good scores. Remember that averages often have quite a bit of variance around them. Based on probability, one could conclude that a shooter should shoot his average + or - one standard deviation from the average 95% of the time.

I do recognize that there are a few sandbaggers in our game. The ATA has a system to take care of this problem, especially in handicap, if solid evidence is reported. This is one of the jobs of your Delegate.

Pat Ireland

8. scratcher

scratcher TS Member

Someone's sitting in front of the keyboard naked again........

9. perga1

perga1 Active Member

"I do recognize that there are a few sandbaggers in our game. The ATA has a system to take care of this problem, especially in handicap, if solid evidence is reported. This is one of the jobs of your Delegate.

Pat Ireland

Not always Patrick. Jim

10. 1brucem

1brucem TS Member

Senior Smoke wins the day with reason and rational thinking. He represents the American way, which is sadly being lost. The thought of not one but hundreds of us trap shooters sitting naked in front of their computers has me smiling and I can't stop! Bruce

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

The thought of even a few of us naked makes me ill.

Don Verna

12. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I too, think the handicap system works pretty well just like it is.

John C. Saubak 23.5

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

To prove sandbagging is easy. If the shooter in question has scores in smaller shoots that are nothing but say 75 to 85 scores and then when at the Grand and or BIG SHOOTS shoots 98 99 100's thats just not shooting a GOOD score or having their day but blowing any other C or D class shooter out of the water.

Once you go up in class and or yardage you stay there. No reductions ever. Once in B class you c an only go to A class. No going down but up and you stay there. If your scores drop so be it. Your still in the high class and or yardage.

Sandbagging can be proven but they just don't want to do so.

14. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Do you have some named examples of what you allege, Auctioneer?

Neil

15. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

User1, such things happen but shooters have terrific memories and at least some of them - two in Minnesota that I recall, are caught. If a shooter got to the 25, _someone_ will remember it even if it was in another state and a long time ago.

Neil

16. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

Sandbagging B, C d shooters.....wait let me get this straight, they will shoot a thousand targets before their state shoot,intentionally missing 10-15 birds for each event, all the while paying say $300 in the process and burning up ten Saturdays.......then come the State shoot, they will run their 98, 99, 100 and WOO HOO win big!! take home that Pewter candy Dish with the class D WINNER engraved on it!!! Yah thats the ticket!!!!!!!! _Frank C

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

Sandbagging is not as easy as some believe. Try practicing shooting low scores for six months and then go to a big shoot and try to shoot a top score.

Pat Ireland

18. senior smoke

Pat Ireland:
    I agree with you 100%. If you can afford to waste all the money to shoot low scores, than shoot a top score in a major tournament, you obviously have a great amount of skill. Vic Reinders use to always tell me that shooting was mostly from the neck up.
    Steve

19. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Was this thread meant to be a comedy? I may be fully dressed but I'm still laughing my fanny off. You're right Frank, only in Maine it was a 6" square of plastic for my 90. Best score of the year since going to two eyes. I must have been sandbagging all year unknowingly, watch out! Here I come. Too funny, Bob

20. WCR

WCR TS Member

Back in the early 70s I was shooting C class and some friends talked me in to going to the Ohio State Shoot. I was shooting the 200 16s on Saturday I believe and broke an 87 on my first hundred targets. The second 100 I ran them all for a waping 187 out of 200. What did I get for my 100 straight nothing except I knew when things were right and the moon was full I could brake a 100 straight.
    Can a D or C class shooter get hot it happens. If it happened continusly the ATA would catch it and start watching when and where the high scores happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.