1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

I Think I'm Addicted to the Patterning Board

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wineguy, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

I Think I

With way too much time on my hands, I have slipped into a continous, downward spiral of analayzing every aspect of POI , POA ,offset measures etc, (dont count pellets, that would be crazy), for every shotgun I own. Forget about shooting results. Its all about the data, the numbers, the paper, the yardage, the spread.....See, its bad!

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Well if your not counting shot holes by quartering the pattern paper, your not addicted-----yet. You are using Winchester green pattern paper, aren't you?

3. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

I hear you! It can alter your focus to some extent but it sure teaches you a whole bunch. If you shoot at 42-45 yards that will really open your eyes. Chokes, impact, and size of shot you shoot become far more then just names and ideas as they become an image that is yours and yours alone.

Trap patterns are tough with all the holes. If you really want to drive yourself crazy start taking a look at quadrant count.

8's always look good! and 7 1/2's start to look sparse at 40 plus yards. This is one thing you learn in a hurry.

The other thing you learn when you own 40 shotguns and have owned another 200 plus is that chokes are not as marked and some barrels shoot nowhere near where you are pointing.

The pattern board... the ulitmate sifter of super loads and bullshit.

Don't forget to go shooting at targets. Jeff

4. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

Whew!So its the pellet counting that takes you over the edge. I'll tell my buddies to watch for those signs. And to think I took up the patterning board to ease off Welbutrin......

5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Dr AC jones has a digital computer program that will count fo ryou.

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Eddie, your pattern above, was the shot pulled left a tad? Does it repeatedly shoot a tad left? Forcing cone been reworked?

Hap

7. wineguy

wineguy TS Member

I get it. I'm OK. It was just a casual attempt to be addicted, to be someone... I apologize to all the truly addicted.You are my pellet counting heroes!

8. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Keep in mind that shotgun shells are like snow flakes and there are no two exactly alike, so to pattern one does not mean you will ever see that exact same pattern ever again ... Best you can hope for is getting the Point of Impact (POI) where you want it compared to the Point of Aim (POA) ... If your pattern has a hole in it chances are it won't be there very long (multi dimentional) nor will the target probably be in that exact spot for long enough to matter ... Now, get over to the trapfield and start shooting targets and leave the pattern board and grease sheet alone ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

9. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I pattern a new gun one time. I want to see how high it shoots, want to see if it shoots straight. Then I shoot.
    Steve Balistreri

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

You are just in the early stages of the disease, as it becomes more advanced, you will find yourself not only counting the holes in the paper but the actual number of pellets in the shell before you fire it. All in the quest for pure data ,,,,,,

There is a 12 (gauge) step program however and it begins with you shooting at moving targets. Buy stage 10 of this program you will even be able to laugh at yourself for missing targets and not wonder if the miss was a result of a black hole in the pattern.

Good luck and remember, insanity is not a job, it is a way of life....

11. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

i have a buddy that counts the pellets, but then again he separates his trailmix and counts it....draw your own conclusion

12. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

calkidd_2008_03032.jpg

Yeah, 325... yeah 325 pellets....60% high yeah.

13. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

I Think I

Fuel for your insanity: http://www.shotgun-insight.com/

mark425_2008_030358.jpg

14. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Eddie, got it guy! One of the reasons I asked, I had a botched forcing cone hack job once and the right side of my pattern was extremely weak, with all loads! I had it redone with a new cone reamer and polished and it then threw good quality patterns again!

Hap

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What you're doing is educating yourself about how your gun, choke and loads perform. Nothing wrong with furthering your education.

16. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Yawn....

17. quartering

quartering Active Member

how high is your patterning target (paper) off of the ground? 5 feet? what is the average height of a clay when you shoot it? 15 or 20 feet? what affect does the elevation of the target have on patterning? we pattern based on what's convenient for us and not necessarily to truly ascertain exactly how the pattern acts at the height and angle at which it intersects the clay. ground level patterning vs. clay level patterning. it kind of makes you wonder now, doesn't it? good luck with it

18. bluedevil

bluedevil Active Member

Did you read "Shotgunning the Art and Science" by Brister? He pulls a long paper behind a truck to check on shot stringing, that will get you going. Shooting at a flat board tells you very little actually comparing to a target moving 50mph. Oh, the misery of it all! I talked to Orre many years ago when he did several barrels for me and he told me he wanted the shot string shortened.Way over my pay grade!

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

quatering. I've done at 9 and 12 feet and no noticeable difference in patterns at 6ft.

bluedevil, if they won't pattern two dimensionally, they'll never make three!

20. cole50

cole50 Member

Don't become too addicted. The pattern board doesn't fly thru the air. Thats a completely different game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.